Notices

Sober Summer Barbecues...Fun or Not?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great post, I was thinking about this quite a bit yesterday and today. I went to a good friends house yesterday, and I was the only non-drinker. I had a great time, as it was said earlier in the thread that it was the people that made the party for me. I helped set everything up, get the grills ready, and then tried to help clean up as much as possible beore I had to leave. I have to say I had a great time! It was very interesting to see the different "styles" of drinking at the party as I usually am not around drinkers that often anymore. There were some people that enjoyed 1 or 2 good beers with the great food, a few that slightly over endulged and the few younger folk that made a Wop with cheap vodka and I'm sure feel on top of the world today . I believe that what helped me most was engaging in conversation and actually listening and taking in information and not waiting for my turn to speak. So many times I went to parties like this in college and just after college where I would meet up with a bunch of old friends and then the next day my family would ask.....hey what is so-and-so up to these days, and I would respond...uh I dunno . Anyway, I had a great weekend of fishing and golfing up north in Wisconsin and then got to experience the traditional Memorial Day bar-b-que in Chicago, all without so I am ready to take on the week. I hope everyone has a great week, and continues to grow in their journey!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
I just got back from a cook out with the family. Had a great time! No booze....just lots of good food, desserts, games and warm feelings. This is my 2nd sober Memorial Day weekend. It does get easier.....that's a promise
Congrats! I had my worst Memorial Day EVER. We just moved to a new area and was bored, nothing to do. Plus my mother in law just moved in and it's been extremely stressful. Thought I could have ONE drink, but I know better. Ended up passing out and missed our cookout. Today I decided that I just need to go cold turkey, AGAIN. I've tried before but apparently it didn't stick.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Thank you for this post. Most of my drinking revolved around summer activities as well. BBQs, fire pits, boating, etc. I just got back from Lake of the Ozarks and everywhere I turned there was booze. Luckily I was with my brother and parents (and 10 and 13 yo kids) and they were very respectful of me. My brother offered not to drink at all this weekend in support of me but I said it was fine if he did.

Anywho...this summer will be challenging and I am going to have to change my activities. I feel for you. It's hard to be the only sober one. I think I will be spending more time with my children and AAers this summer to keep me strong.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is my second Memorial day sober and it does get easier. I was at the beach all weekend with old friends and some new. Most knew of my drinking or lack there of now, some did not. My new friends that only have known me not drinking do not know any better, and my old friends have accepted my decision without issue. Most of them drink, some to excess. I do not care about their drinking so long as they behave in front of our children, which they did.

I am not Jealous of them for drinking nor do I look down upon them for doing so.