Notices

Hello, 2 days sober for the 13th time!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, 2 days sober for the 13th time!

I've quit on an off with drinking.. and when I'm not drinking I don't feel as confident and funny as I used to.. I miss joking around and being "crazy" I feel like AA does not like this type of humor and want me to be peaceful and nice all the time.. which I don't mind being nice.. but what wrong with being a little bad too? I don't want to drink.. its destroying me.. but I don't seem happy with are with out it.. Without it I'm uptight and angry.. or at least boring.. I want to be what I was always like... which was friendly, funny, sociable, and well liked.. I feel like I don't exist sober.. I want to stay sober for good now.. the most I did was 6 months but the feelings of boredom and not seeing my friends swayed me to back.. please help someone thank you!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...addiction.html

This was a post i posted recently..it was my breakup letter to my addiction... i too, felt like you did at one point..that i was more relaxed..outgoing, funny etc because of the booze... its a farce... a mask..its not true... ALCOHOL has convinced you that you cant be all these things without it...i assure you...you can...

stay strong because YOU are stronger than IT !!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know about boring, but I know I have been really angry, short tempered, anxious, scared... a whole bundle of negative emotions really, since I quit. Just like I was in the past when I was dry. And how I wasn't when I was drunk.
I know the first day after I quit for the second time, I was totally uncreative. Couldn't think of anything at all to write. I'm on my sixth attempt, and it's taken till 2 days ago before I could actually get any proper writing done. Actually, I managed some on my last attempt too, but it was a real effort.

I'm friendly these days, just like I was before, and now I'm not worrying whether they actually like me or not. I don't think that I could have been that funny when I was drinking, indeed, I was told by an old friend that other people found me 'grating'.
If they're true friends, they'll accept you whether you drink or not. If they don't accept you when you're not drinking...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

dgajdusek....Welcome ...

Why not make a list...on paper...and write down all the
problems you have had due to alcohol?
Obviously..there must be some or you would not be trying to quit

It's true...my sense of what is fun and interesting now that I'm sober
has chamged However...somewhere in the book Alcoholics Anonymous..

"we are not a glum lot...we absolutely insist on having fun"

I've found that true as well... .
Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, good luck!

Maybe you're like me and not really "friendly, funny, sociable, and well liked" after all. I lost what friends I had left after I quit drinking so that skill set is no longer of any value. Now I am completely free to follow whatever path I choose. I'm thinking about conquering the North American continent soon if I can just fine the time. So busy with other things right now...
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I haven't drank for around 3 weeks and the fun, bubbly, sociable, fun person that was full of life is returning. It is hard to explain-- It is like an old friend that I had lost is emerging. I remember who I used to be, and I liked her. My BF says he can see the person he fell in love with returning. Not that he has not loved me through this; he has, but there where too many nights that started out fun and lead to sheer chaos with the drinking- really dark things. I think he would get in defensive mode whenever he heard the beer can pop open-- anyways-

I find a lot of people here that are in AA to have a great sense of humor as well.

Drinking stole my self worth and confidence, and I know I am likable and even way more likable without it. You are as well! I guarantee it!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

P.S. NO ONE is peaceful and nice all the time- I know you know that no one would expect that from you- right?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I just want to be normal in the sense without alcohol. Thank you
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
100,000th Registered Member

Originally Posted by MetalChick View Post
I haven't drank for around 3 weeks and the fun, bubbly, sociable, fun person that was full of life is returning. It is hard to explain-- It is like an old friend that I had lost is emerging. I remember who I used to be, and I liked her. My BF says he can see the person he fell in love with returning. Not that he has not loved me through this; he has, but there where too many nights that started out fun and lead to sheer chaos with the drinking- really dark things. I think he would get in defensive mode whenever he heard the beer can pop open-- anyways-

I find a lot of people here that are in AA to have a great sense of humor as well.

Drinking stole my self worth and confidence, and I know I am likable and even way more likable without it. You are as well! I guarantee it!
I used to do that too and you are the life of the party when you get back in there (until you crash, eventually). Now, the way I try to do it is reduce the amout of drink I drink everyday to bring a sense of life back. I still get too much like I can continue like this forever until i upset lots of people again. Moments of clarity and then I carry it out til the next crash, like loads of people in here. I'm happy just to be typing
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I definitely used alcohol to make myself more interesting in social situations. It's like turning a switch and I can turn into a comedian that people want to talk to. Unfortunately, the booze only helped in social situations and was no help with my work performance or any other aspect of my life for that matter. I couldn't go on being 'Mr. Partytime' while the rest of my life was in complete shambles.