Notices

Alcohol withdrawal or just anxiety?

Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal or just anxiety?

Hello! I've been reading your site and would like a little advice.

Im in my 30s and in excellent health. I lived in Europe for several years where alcohol is a pervasive part of the culture. Spent several years there partying pretty hard, especially on the weekends. The alcohol use was always social, however, never drank alone, never had alcohol negatively affect my work or relationships.

As I've grown older I've still enjoyed using alcohol with friends at concerts, bars, vacations, etc. Again, the use was always safe; never got DWIs, always performed at work, etc.

As I got older I did notice the hangovers getting worse. Never got hangovers at all up to maybe 1 year ago. I was diagnosed years ago with anxiety disorder, however, and one day made the mistake of reading about alcohol withdrawal. The very next weekend, after a Friday and Saturday night of partying with a friend, I felt what I identified as mild alcohol withdrawal...worse than normal anxiety, rapid heart beat, insomnia, eerie dreams, disorientation, etc. Really scared me

The experience scared me from alcohol for 6 months. Everyone I knew had the same reaction, "Why? youre not an alcoholic or anything," but I felt it was the right thing to do. Didn't touch a drop for 6 months...had no problems doing so other than the sadness of watching my friends have more fun than I when out. My intention was, however, to take 6 months off to relearn how to have fun without alcohol and, when I pick it up again, enjoy alcohol much more moderately.., no more shots, no long party weekends in Reno etc.

The six months were over and I began my new relationship with alcohol without any issue. Drank much less but still had a great time again. Was working out great for about 1 month and I was so happy to have my life back...to be able to hang out at a bar over a fine beer with friends again, or sip a beer while on stage with the blues band I play in. But last weekend I had 4 beers on Friday and 4 on Saturday over several hours and after 6 days abstinence (previous weekend was about the same). On Sunday, however, I woke with the same kind of eerie withdrawal-like symptoms; anxiety, mild insomnia, nausea/muscle aches, mild shakiness, etc, that lasted one day and were completely gone after 3. I moderated some of these symptoms using the natural supplements (relaquil, valerian root) that I use to treat my anxiety.

My question: are these symptoms just my mind freaking on me or bona fide withdrawal? Is withdrawal possible after such moderate amounts? Just doesnt seem right

The harm reduction network says that a good strategy is to never drink two days in a row to avoid bad hangovers. Any thoughts? I'll be perfectly happy with such an arrangement, but feel as if I'm oddly unfairly punished if complete abstinence is my only option. Ultimately my life won't end if I can never touch alcohol again, but I'd be sad just as I would if I had to suddenly stop anything else that I enjoy like motorcycles, working out, fishing, traveling, etc

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Portland Guy - welcome

None of us are Doctors so none of us can speak with any authority - it may be anxiety, it may be withdrawal, it may be both - you'd really have to speak to a medical professional to get a definite answer.

In my case tho - yes my anxiety got worse the longer I drank.

The harm reduction network says that a good strategy is to never drink two days in a row to avoid bad hangovers.
That is absolutely not my experience. Drink enough, or long enough, and you'll get a hangover.

It's one of those old wives tales drinkers like to believe, for whatever reason.

D
Old 05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anxiety is not part of my medical history...either as a drinker or now as
an AA recovered alcoholic....sorry to know of your distress...

Hope you find whatever gives you peace and joy. I sure have.
Welcome..
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience is I never had anxiety, drank heavily without probs for a long time before I decided enough! Ive had 2 months sober at most recently and am now on day 11. 2 weeks ago I was getting terrible anxiety WHILE I drank! And after only a few I'd be anxious the next morning and after 2 sober days it is gone. Scary as hell and horrible as hell! That's what I'm trying to remember when I feel like a drink now. I think over the years alcohol messes with our chemistry. I hate it but this is the way it is. I hope I can stay sober forever now. Good luck to u
Old 05-25-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found it that this is what was happening to me, check it out as I think it might be relevant. Of course check with a medical professional too. Take Care. Alcohol kindling
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 05-26-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The national Society on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence once published a list of early symptoms of alcoholism. Among them was;

'You feel a deep and nameless anxiety"

Tha was true for me but it went away as did the other symptoms as I began working the 12 steps of AA.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey PortlandGuy, did ever get to the bottom of your anxiety vs alcohol withdrawal?

I am going through the exact same thing. I am 29, I have bad anxiety and always have since I was a teen. I did the same thing as you, where I read about withdrawal and now I FREAK out every time I drink!

I used to be a heavy drinker years ago. Now I just drink in moderation. BUT, I had 2 beers last week, and got the usual feeling. It feels like withdrawal! Racing heart, jitteriness, chills, etc.

Is this anxiety or actual withdrawal? Can our bodies be addicted?

Let me know if your still around, I'd love to discuss this more as I don't want to give up drinking if I don't have to!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anxiety is typically the beginning of physical addiction to alcohol. It will get much worse unfortunately.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 333president View Post
Hey PortlandGuy, did ever get to the bottom of your anxiety vs alcohol withdrawal?

I am going through the exact same thing. I am 29, I have bad anxiety and always have since I was a teen. I did the same thing as you, where I read about withdrawal and now I FREAK out every time I drink!

I used to be a heavy drinker years ago. Now I just drink in moderation. BUT, I had 2 beers last week, and got the usual feeling. It feels like withdrawal! Racing heart, jitteriness, chills, etc.

Is this anxiety or actual withdrawal? Can our bodies be addicted?

Let me know if your still around, I'd love to discuss this more as I don't want to give up drinking if I don't have to!
Hey 333President and all above...

Thanks for your kind comments

Its not alcohol withdrawal.

Last Saturday had 4 beers over about 5 hours, no problems the next day. Last Wednesday night then had a beer and a half over about 2 hours. Didn't even feel the slightest buzz. Next day wake up, start thinking about a the beer I had the night before and things I needed to get done at work, and BAM!, full blown panic attack. Pounding heart, hypertension, sweating, etc., just like what I had experienced a few times before.

I popped a few of my natural anxiety meds (I use Relaquil, which has been a blessing for me!) and went on with my day. The lingering anxiety affect subsided much faster this time because the reality that I am not withdrawing from alcohol is becoming increasingly obvious. I don't care what anyone says, one cannot physically withdrawal from a 1.5 Michelob Ultra.

Panic attacks in fact mimic many of the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal: nausea, pounding heart, hypertension, sweating, insomnia, tremors, etc., which make the minds of those who are diagnosed with anxiety disorder spin out of control with thoughts of doom. Alcohol can naturally increase hyperactivity even for those not physically addicted, which will trigger anxiety/panic in those susceptible to it. I remember feeling it before after a party but didn't know that alc withdrawal existed so just brushed it off.

Those of us with anxiety often just need someone to tell us that we're not gonna die. This forum won't let me post links, but I found at least one doctor commenting on a case like mine in that "it is not withdrawal, just anixety"

Those of us with anxiety disorder don't want to let our disorder run our lives. Although I have no desire to party like I did back in the day (to be honest Im a bit old for the silliness) I will not let this disorder run my life.

Note: I enjoy a premium cigar now and then. For a while nicotine was also triggering my panic attacks. Knowing that nicotine wasn't going to send me into cardiac arrest, however, I just toughed it out and am fine now after repeatedly exposing myself and knowing that I didn't die time after time.

To President333: I've found to be helpful is that if you wake up from a night of a few beers feeling anxious, try your best to fall back asleep. Stay in bed! If you get moving as soon as you feel a bit anxious laying there in bed, your panicked feelings are much harder to get under control. I've found if I get to sleep after that initial feeling, I wake up a few hrs later just fine.

Hope this post can help some others experiencing the same, and understand the difference between alcohol withdrawal after sustained, heavy use and a panic attack after normal social drinking.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just like everyone says, though, just talk to your doctor about it. I plan on it. Anxiety meds or even a BP medication may help your anxiety. Be up front about how you're finding alcohol to be a trigger.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Drinking too much does case anxiety the next day. It's not always withdraw as the alcohol completely dehydrates and strips your system of nutrients causing the anxiety and most other hangover symptoms.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi everyone...

This is our Alcoholism Forum...and tho we are not a medical site
we do have another Forum that might be of interest

Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I certainly hope y'all will be able to get professional assistance as
you work out what is best for your future...