Notices

Meltdown during withdrawl

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meltdown during withdrawl

Veritas 1 suggested i post this as a new thread- ALL new to me- here goes p.s. this was a response to a thread by maintainin in 2007 .."Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking"

my responce 03/04/2012.... Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread - this is the first time i have ever entered a chat room - i stopped drinking about 7 weeks ago and was admitted to a psychiatric hospital 4 days ago - i am out after a 72hr observation period for depression/anxiety and depersonalisation - i have just had the worse days of my life and it didn't even cross my mind it could have had anything to do with alcohol withdrawl. I have suffered major depression for most of my life and been on ADs for years - i was off them about a year when i decided to quit drinking because my ALT was up (routine middle aged screen) and i was worried re my liver (that's right- not that i was drunk every night and i have lost everyone i have cared for through drink - that's a different story). Anyway i had a massive depressive/anxiety laden episode starting about 2 weeks ago - lots of potential life stressors of course as there always will be but i did not think of the fact i have just stopped drinking a few months (almost ) ago. My ex girlfriend (lost because of drink of course) was driving me home from the Psych clinic and asked if i thought it was something to do with alcohol withdrawl- i said no no that's all DTs etc and would be over by now!! i am clear of alcohol now!! no worries!! I saw my GP this AM - (i was/am suicidal - have not slept for 52 hrs- I am "depersonalised" which is something i have only ever experienced as a child and could well be the worse experience i have ever had) - and she also mentioned this possibility - go i googled alcohol withdrawl and depression and found you guys. Sorry if this is a rant i am a bit manic at present (i am not bipolar but the cocktail i am on has put me into a seratonergic sydrome state and i am going as fast as a rocket) - i just wanted to say thanks - thanks a zillion - i think this may have saved my bacon - i now think i understand why my "stable life" which i thought should have been getting better after the drinking stopped seems to be spiralling down the tubules- i think now i have a chance becuase I have an idea of why it's happening (knowledge/power etc) okay i have a new wind now- i have direction - i can't believe the decades of drinking are still screwing with my life but i am not going to let it take me under. No way. Okay ranting again- sorry and thanks again :-)
p.s. today has been an melancholic anxiety ridden mess - bedridden most of the time but still hanging on to yesterdays sentiments (but less manically)
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

DONUT, are you going to AA meetings?

I would be a dry, melancholy, depressed, anxiety ridden mess without them.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 05-24-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR and glad you are here!

Restless, irritable and discontent. Yeah, that's me, too. Now you need a new solution. AA may work for you!!

Peace,
Old 05-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DONUT
I'm glad you saw your GP

You'll find a lot of support here too- good to have you with us

D
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Stick around, this place can really help.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks (all) for your support
I have to admit I feel fairly isolated at present and maybe i should think about an AA meeting
Thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

DONUT:
We have Charles here right now and you could come join the festivities. You're welcome at my home group for a meeting.

All the best.

Bob R in the Colonies
Old 05-25-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
DONUT:
We have Charles here right now and you could come join the festivities. You're welcome at my home group for a meeting.

All the best.

Bob R in the Colonies
okay thanks i didn't realise u could meet online - i need to have a look into this - DD
Old 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome. Good move re the booze. Alcohol is not a performance enhancing drug.