Notices

Angry With Therapist & Relapse----

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Angry With Therapist & Relapse----

So I recently had a 1 day slip. I decide to be honest with my therapist the other day. Now she says she will have to tell the psych doctor I drank. I'm not even sure if this is legal or not?? I thought HIPPA laws prohibit this. I'm worried she will stop prescribing me my anxiety meds that I need. I always seem to feel worse when I'm honest about my relapses. My instincts told me to tell no one about the slip. I consider the slip harmless because I did not do any drugs (except methadone) & had a pretty good time from what I remember.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds the the worst kind of relapse--the kind you consider harmless. Those were the most damaging to me in the long run, because they encouraged me to have more. A fall from great heights begins with one small slip... There is one relapse that's even worse--the relapse we keep a secret. I think you did the right thing by telling her, and by coming back here.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

They don't want you to kill yourself mixing pills and alcohol I would imagine.It happens all the time with alcoholics who have Rx's for tranquilizers.
Get a small stick and bite on it when the emotional pain gets bad,it will pass.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Pills and alcohol can be a bad mix, and lethal. Therapist may think you are a danger to yourself by concealing what you are doing from your Dr who may be working on the assumption from what you have said to him/her that you are not drinking.

This is about your health. I hope you can work with the people offering to help you.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Because you had a good time from what you remember? That means it didn't count? Is that what you are saying?

Pam
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Justfor1:

Your therapist needs to tell your psychiatrist all information pertinent to your care. Your drinking is pertinent because because psych meds can interact badly with alcohol. HIPAA laws do not prevent members of your treatment team from speaking with each other about your treatment.

As far as the drinking episode being harmless . . . if it was so harmless then why did you have an instinct to hide it? Sounds like you knew perfectly well you were crossing the line.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taken from another thread you started, JustforOne,
"Well SR friends my 9 months of sobriety has ended yesterday. Life was getting pretty hectic & still find it hard to live life on lives terms. I ended up drinking cheap vodka all night long & went to a Methadone clinic at 5AM to try to get a dose. They kicked me out because I'm not registered & ended up buying bars of Xanex from some folks & ended up staggering around town & ended up in the ER. Sadly, this is what usually happens when I pick up. Hospital nurses & doctor need tell me I looked a lot better & keep trying to get sober. That need make me feel better. Sometimes, I just want to give up. I plan on going to a early morning AA meeting tomorrow & try to get back on the horse. Drugs & alcohol are killing me & I know it yet still can't seem to obtain long term sobriety. It hurts. "

Yeah, completely harmless. I understand why you might feel angry but its just for your own safety. I'm rooting for you. I would love to say I have 9 months sober.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

babycat, yeah I guess I did end up with some consequences. Sadly, I don't even count a hospital visit as a "wake up call" just part of my drunken routine. A doctor there did compliment me on how well I looked. Probably because I hadn't drank in a while & haven't been getting brought in on a weekly basis.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
They don't want you to kill yourself mixing pills and alcohol I would imagine.It happens all the time with alcoholics who have Rx's for tranquilizers.
Get a small stick and bite on it when the emotional pain gets bad,it will pass.
I don't believe the two are dangerous because I have such a high tolerance. The anxiety drugs are being used to treat a mental illness NOT substance abuse.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Pills and alcohol can be a bad mix, and lethal. Therapist may think you are a danger to yourself by concealing what you are doing from your Dr who may be working on the assumption from what you have said to him/her that you are not drinking.

This is about your health. I hope you can work with the people offering to help you.

So she should just stop taking her anti anxiety meds? Cold turkey? That sounds real safe...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I don't believe the two are dangerous because I have such a high tolerance.
Be careful -- they are probably more dangerous because of your high tolerance.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't believe the two are dangerous because I have such a high tolerance. The anxiety drugs are being used to treat a mental illness NOT substance abuse.
I am sure all the people that have died thought the same thing.

Self medicating.

Do you recall how many celebrities (the only lives lost that we really hear about)...do you recall how many have had combos of pills and drinking? It's always the same thing...

Anxiety drugs and booze.

They are deadly.

Some anxiety drugs are to the brain the same as alcohol which sets up, keeps us craving more...pills or booze.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BillyWeaver View Post
So she should just stop taking her anti anxiety meds? Cold turkey? That sounds real safe...
No, she should ask her doctors for anti anxiety meds that are safe for alcoholics and drug addicts and be honest with all doctors so that she doesn't hurt herself.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Actually, Justfor1 is a male.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
High on Life

I consider the slip harmless because I did not do any drugs (except methadone) & had a pretty good time from what I remember.

This is the problem with your thinking....when you're an alcoholic or an addict, no slip is harmless.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Actually, Justfor1 is a male.
I stand corrected. Rule 62
Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post

This is the problem with your thinking....when you're an alcoholic or an addict, no slip is harmless.
I consider it a minor set back. It's not a big deal at all. People like you set me back for many years. I would feel so bad about relapsing that I would stay drunk/high for weeks at a time. I don't do that anymore. I consider that growth. I plan on continuing to chair my weekly AA meeting as well.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just, don't you think that it is going to wind up bothering you if you are dishonest with your group? I am not saying this in a bitchy way at all, or I am not meaning to.

In the past for me, dishonesty lead to another relapse. I am serious. I got all in my head worrying, over analyzing. I PROMISE you will feel so much better if you tell the truth. It sucks having to admit you drank (and failed) but it will set you free as soon as you have that white chip in your hand. You will feel RELIEF. And you can start over and do it differently this time.

I just wanted to share how dishonesty affects me with you. I wish you the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Elizebeth, I understand what your saying. But I feel like I let the group down. I even gave a 30min lead at one of the busiest meetings there. I like my status in the group. It's not like anyone will know.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I would put my whole-hearted trust in someone leading a meeting, especially as a newbie, and would expect (and appreciate so much) their honesty. Your honesty with the group could teach them something! Something about themselves, about others, about you, about humanity in general, and about making mistakes (of which I'm learning myself, but not with relapse). Thank you for sharing. I appreciate your honesty here.