Notices

Restless, irritable and discontent!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless, irritable and discontent!

I'm feeling really squirrelly lately. I don't feel the desire to drink, but I'm not serene. I went to a meeting this morning and it really helped. But I feel so much resentment, fear, and anxiety still. I could use a pep talk.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've found the serenity Prayer keeps me in balance.
:
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
I've found the serenity Prayer keeps me in balance.
:
Me too. I've only said it once today. I think I'm due for another.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hey Dallas. I'm coming to the realization that life sometimes knocks us off the tracks sometimes. I'm finding out that soberiety alone isn't going to always make me happy. I think it is okay to feel undone, to have bouts of feeling bad. So maybe look at it as a phase that will pass, like a storm.

That said, if this has been going on a while and it's beyond your "normal" ups and downs, perhaps there is an underlying depression or anxiety you might need to deal with.

Stay strong.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Doing more work with the fears, resentments, anxiety will help, as you already know. It may seem sometimes that such work is endless, but be assured eventually the work becomes easier and the joys of reaping the benefits of your efforts come easier and more steady.

Good to know you're not struggling with desire to drink. So you've accomplished that well, and so give yourself some measure of success too as you examine yourself.

Cheers!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I get that way my sponsor says: "you sound like you should go to a meeting and talk to a newcomer." And it works, because typical alcoholic that I am, I'm totally tied up in myself. Someone called it "M&M": me and more. The more isolation the crankier and more moody I am. To me sobriety isn't walking around singing "Volare!", it's having a quiet mind.

But life sometimes just s*cks. Sometimes feeling crappy is a normal reaction.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For me it took much more than meetings to straighten out. It wasn't until I was well on with my house cleaning that things really began to change. I had three big handicaps: my personality, step 4 showed how I was my own worst enemy, skeletons in the closet from which step 5 set me free, and people I was afraid to meet, step 9 meant I could again be part fo the community. Looking back I can see how insidious and powerful these handicaps were, any one of them could make me unhappy enough to drink. Trust God, clean house, help others.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dallasblues View Post
I'm feeling really squirrelly lately. I don't feel the desire to drink, but I'm not serene. I went to a meeting this morning and it really helped. But I feel so much resentment, fear, and anxiety still. I could use a pep talk.
Keep going to the meetings. You know in "How It Works" where it says "We stood at the turning point...". I have stood there often over the years and am actually there again now.
Like the oldtimers say "Keep coming back, it gets better"

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you have a sponsor yet? Are you working the steps yet? That is my new solution. Those steps changed me and my perceptions. I got out of self.

NYCDoglvr said it best here--go reach out and help someone else. A newcomer is a good start, even calling an old timer can help. We are all in different places and we all can use someone to call us. If your phone isn't ringing, you aren't alone in that.

Get a network started. Talk to some people. Your call alone can make someone else's day better. I've called long timers who were, at that particular moment in time, NOT in a "good" place and the call helped them (and me).

Read the big book in it's entirety. Listen to a speaker tape on xa-speakers.org. Journal. If you don't have that sponsor or have worked the steps, well, that is where real change takes place.

Take a bubble bath, do something nice for you (male or female, a bubble bath is still awesome!)~

Congrats on not picking up and on your sober time. That is important, too!

Peace,
Old 05-25-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
For me it took much more than meetings to straighten out. It wasn't until I was well on with my house cleaning that things really began to change. I had three big handicaps: my personality, step 4 showed how I was my own worst enemy, skeletons in the closet from which step 5 set me free, and people I was afraid to meet, step 9 meant I could again be part fo the community. Looking back I can see how insidious and powerful these handicaps were, any one of them could make me unhappy enough to drink. Trust God, clean house, help others.
You nailed it on the head here, IMHO.