Notices

Quitting drinking + agitation

Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Quitting drinking + agitation

I have quit drinking and am slowly coming off atitvan also. I'm not sure what the deal is but (9-10) days off boos... I feel like I have much more anger and aggression and I really want to KILL someone at work... I've always been taken advantage of at work... Im the IT guy but also do all the bitch work.... used to bug me but now I'm miserable and I want to scream at someone... when I say Kill i mean fight or verbal fight someone.

Anyone experienced this?!

M
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I was angry when I first quit, angry I couldn't drink. I was also quick to rage, which made me want to drink. The "A" in the substance abuse self-care tool, H.A.L.T. stands for anger. Don't let it lead you to drinking.

Take a deep breath. Know that some level of anger is normal. Address the anger, don't react to it.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate. I'm on day 9 and I've been an irritable jerk for the last week. The smallest things can set me off and I find myself stewing a lot. I'm trying really hard to identify when I'm angry and stop and count to ten or something, but it doesn't work all the time.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Totally relate, I swing back and forth from happiness to extreme agitation and anger like wanting to unleash on something/someone. Then I get agitated that I'm feeling agitated!!! Crazy. All I hear is that it will get better. Hopefully it will.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

I think a better question would be.....Has anyone not? When we are detoxing from something agitation is a symptom of detoxing. Though a horrible feeling, it is normal to feel this way during this time. Time will take care of this. Something I still rely on to keep me in check is exercise. Some form of exercise is a requirement for me to keep my agitation level in check and keep me "mentally" healthy, not just physically.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome suggestion about exercise! Its true how beneficial it can be to treating anxiety, agitation and other negative feelings!
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
The "A" in the substance abuse self-care tool, H.A.L.T. stands for anger.
Isn't that the truth. I had 13 days sober, drank for a night, and have been sober again for the past 2 days. I am so angry, for many reasons....but mainly because I can't just be a normal person who drinks and never suffers any of the consequences. I wish there was a switch that would just shut off the obsession
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the responses! I went to my gym during lunch today to hit up some weights and I do feel better. Im unfamiliar with HALT tho :/

Before I went to lunch someone asked me to pick up lunch and I yelled "you got legs!"
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I think a better question would be.....Has anyone not? When we are detoxing from something agitation is a symptom of detoxing.
I totally agree with tot:

For those of us who used booze to numb our emotions, these emotions become our worst enemies. That is why:

"There is more to quitting drinking than quiting drinking".
Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
Im unfamiliar with HALT tho :/

Before I went to lunch someone asked me to pick up lunch and I yelled "you got legs!"
You'd be surprised how much being "nice" can affect how we feel. Give it a try.

As for HALT, it is an acronym for the four conditions that can leave a person vulnerable to relapse:

H: Hungry
A: Angry
L: Lonely
T: Tired
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
You'd be surprised how much being "nice" can affect how we feel. Give it a try.

As for HALT, it is an acronym for the four conditions that can leave a person vulnerable to relapse:

H: Hungry
A: Angry
L: Lonely
T: Tired

and sometimes S: Sick if you arent feeling well physically, your mind is likely to go to the birds as well. I live by this acronym.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Some thing in AA the Big Book, describing alcoholics of my type might fit this situation. Roughly it says we are restless, irritable and discontent unless we can again experience the sense of relief a few drinks bring, drinks that we see others taking with impunity. From 1st edition.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mark, are you going to meetings? I share my feelings and emotions at the tables and find great relief there.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-24-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lift weights man, endorphins and natural buzz, can't beat it
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

When you have been using a central nervous system depressant (alcohol) regularly and for a long period, your body compensates and anticipates getting yet another dose. When the anticipated alcohol does not arrive, strong emotion is typically experienced. Very often it is anger. What many people do, after experiencing this “anger”, is to look around and say “What am I angry with ?”. They then find something to attach the feeling to. In fact the "anger" exists first. They try to make sense of it (the emotion) on a logical or thinking level. Often it has its roots in a biological process involved in detox or post detox (PAWS).

The danger is to attach too much meaning to the anger and then act on it thinking it is “justified” by “mistreatment” or something similar. This may in fact be the case, but this is NOT the time to deal with this issue! Early sobriety is not the time to sort out the HUGE number of strong emotions experienced. Allow them to exist. Don't act on them ... not now at least. I know this is easier said than done, but if you keep in mind that these emotions have a basis in biology it can make them just a bit easier to cope with.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't want to encourage you, but "you got legs" as funny as it is (ROFL), well, that stuff is not for the workplace. More self-control helps here.

You aren't alone. Early recovery is an emotional roller coaster. There is a solution other than drinking. It's in working the steps of AA.

You also have to give time time, but if you are in AA, grab a temporary sponsor and start working those steps and practicing the tools of recovery!

Congrats on the 9 days~!!