Notices

What did I see?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What did I see?

When I was young, I spent a lot of time in Latin-America.

One of the memories that I am trying to give a place, is that of drunk men laying on the sidewalk. I saw this a few times in Brazii, in Ecuador I saw this very often. Would this have happened in a First World country, i would call an ambulance. But in Ecuador, people simply walked around them.

I recently learnt that drinkers with a coma are threated in hospital. But these people weren't hospitalised. So if they were not in coma, what did I see? Is it "natural behaviour" for very drunk people to sleep on the streets? Is there a state of unconsciousness other than coma? Was their situation life-threatening?
Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

Probably just passed out.. I passed out a ton when I was drinking/using. Sometimes not in my own home. There's people 'sleeping' all over the place here (Denver), everyone just sort of walks by them and figures they are drunk or need some sleep. *shrugs*
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

This happens in many places in the United States...and of course...
the world is full of social problems/injustices and sad situations.

Please let us know what brings you to our recovery community
We have supportive members here who offer infomation and experiences...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Welcome AguaMineral

Many are just drunk and flop where ever they are at that point, others are in the hopeless stage of addition and can't see anything past their next drink.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies.

@CarolD: I live in the Netherlands, I had seen drunk people but I was not familiar with seeing drunk people 'sleeping' on the streets, untill I came in Latin America (althought there are alcoholists in the Netherlands of course). My personal instinct was to call the emergency number, but that was out of the question over there.

As an expat, you are supposed to use relativism when you are in another culture. I did that. But many years later, I notice that I still wonder if what I saw was serious. Did these people need urgent medical attention? So I decided to ask the experts.