Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

couple questions about AA, never been to one

1. what do people talk about in AA?

2. Do people attend to them for years?

3, Is it a good place to make friends?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

1. People talk about how they drank. Why they drank and how they're stopping (not stopped) from drinking.

2. Yep. Some do, and they're the grateful ones. Some get sober and stop going to meetings. (I think I might become one of those) and some struggle to find the solutions in and out of AA.

3. Yes. Especially if you're a woman. Just my personal observation but, in all the groups I've sat with, the women are strongly supportive. If you're looking for a little help, please give them a chance.

Best wishes,
Old 05-21-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

First off,everyone in there has had to walk through the door for the first time. They all know what it's like. It's easiest if you don't think about it. Just walk in and sit down like you own the place. If your bashful,someone will break the ice,or if you aren't bashful. Like I say,act like you own the place.
The AA I wen't to. Most of the time someone would pick a topic to discuss. And everyone takes a turn talking about it. There is nothing that says you have to add to it. All you gotta do when it's your turn is say "I'm so and so and i'm an alcoholic and I'm just gonna pass"
And yea,a lot attend for life. But the biggest part attend faithfully the first year or so,then ease off. I myself only go once a year to get my coin. But I leave a nice donation. The first 6 months i went a LOT.
And of course it's a good place to make friends. You will find all kinds of different people there. But most everyone finds a "group" to hang out with.
The best way to find out is just go.

Fred
Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

People share their experience strength and hope with each other as it relates to using the program of AA to recover from alcoholism.

Some people do and some people don't.

It definitely is a good place to meet people who understand real alcoholic drinking since they got caught up in it too. I was sitting in a meeting tonight thinking, "we can't stop drinking once we get started so we meet and share our problems and solutions to not get started with the drinking at all, using the program of Alcoholics Anonymous."
Like if we were on a spaceship and landed on a planet where we had to define ourselves as a group, that's what we could say.
We laugh a lot and I enjoy seeing my AA friends.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This link has good info on what to expect in meetings..

Your First AA Meeting<

Good to know you are considering AA...it's proven to be the wisest move I ever made.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

varies from meeting to meeting, but it is basically what stairs said. theres big book studies, topic meetings, tradition meetings and open speaker meetings.
i have been for 7 years now. the amount per week varies. i hit one meeting a day for a year. i wanted to get sober that bad. i go now to help others.

it is a good place to get help to get sober. if i went to make friends, my motives woulda been whacked, but through workingthe program and attending meetings, i have made true friends, ones who are there to help me and i am there to help them with no expectations of anything in return.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It varies. Some talk about their drinking story. Others talk about the minutia of their day. Others talk about God. Others talk about the Steps.

Some people do, and many of those people will claim if you stop going that you will "drink, die or go insane". That's not true.

Dpeends on your definition of "friend". AA is about finding God, who will get you sober. Friendship is not the purpose of AA. You will meet other alcoholics, some who will be "friendly". But in my experince, if you stop going to meetings, they won't contact you anymore. Not my definition of a friend.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by SarahBear View Post

1. Drinking, how it affects them, how they are handling it, etc. Other topics as well, it depends on the group. For example some meetings we read from the books and then talk about the reading.

2. Sure do, its the only way some of us can stay sober. It doesnt work for all people but for many this is the route.

3. Absolutely.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Meetings exist so the newcomer may find us.

So the newcomer may know there is a solution. That solution is in the steps of AA.

We give freely what was once freely given to us.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A good AA meeting should be a spiritual experience. People speak from the heart, about their experience, what it was like, what happened, what it's like now, all that. It's different for everyone, yet it is the same for everyone... We learn to identify with others.

Some go for the rest of their lives, my dad did... Some recover and move on with their lives... Some don't recover and ?. I still go after 3 1/2 years... I like to go.

I've made some friends... We do stuff. I still have many friends outside of AA also.

I used to have many anxieties about AA, wasn't sure about it, did I want it, all that, to keep going forever, the questions you have. I employed a very effective strategy with those feelings and such, I learned it in AA, LOL... One day at a time, you know? I go to meetings one day at a time... I don't worry about it. Anymore.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As an aside - there are a few different types of meetings:

step meetings - where they read about and discuss the steps (usually one at a meeting)

big book meetings - whewre they read a passage from the big book and discuss it

speaker meetings - where one or two speakers diskuss their experiences with alcohol and what their life is like now that they are sober

discussion meetings - where topics are asked for and then discussed

In all discussions all may share, though some meetings prefer you to wait till you have a length of sobriety to discuss - you are always able to suggest a topic (even if you are still actively drinking)

One thing I would disagree with SoberAthiest about. While there is a lot of "god" talk in the literature most groups I've attended (only one exception) it is the fellowship that is key. Not many "god thumpers" in any of the meetings I attend. Perhaps as an atheist (which I am as well) there is a bit of hyper-sensitivity to all the higher power talk. Personally I have to admit that there are many things more powerful than I - the weather (been through a hurricaine and flood), the sun (gonna rise whether I want it to or not), ageing (wish I had some control over this one) - you get the idea.

I find AA meetings useful to remind me of what I am, where I was, what I've been through and what I put others through. I don't put much stock in the literature, dogma, or rituals - but I can overlook them because it helps me to stay sober.

If you decide to give it a try and indicate that it's your first meeting or that you are early in recovery you will be told that you are the most important person at the meeting. Everyone at the meeting understands because they have all been through it - some many times.