Notices

alcoholic vs non alcoholic fatty liver

Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcoholic vs non alcoholic fatty liver

my doctor told me just that i have a fatty liver, did not tell me whether it was alcoholic or non alcoholic

he told me to quit drinking and eat healthy.

i have read somewhere else that if you have alcoholic fatty liver, all u have to do is stop drinking. that alone should get you out of the mess.

did your doctor tell you whether you had alcoholic or non alcoholic fatty liver when you were disgnosed? is there a way to tell?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In my case I just knew it was alcohol because I drank so much.

I'm not sure there is a way to distinguish. My guess would be if you drink heavily over a period of time then alcohol has something to do with Causing it. Additionally, even if the fatty liver was caused by something else, alcohol will still affect it.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That statement sounds very solid advice for anyone...

I hope you will follow it and live a long sober time..
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
That statement sounds very solid advice for anyone...

I hope you will follow it and live a long sober time..
Yes ... it doesn't matter why you have a fatty liver. Certainly drinking isn't going to help. Might as well quit
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoneDying View Post
Yes ... it doesn't matter why you have a fatty liver. Certainly drinking isn't going to help. Might as well quit
yes, i agree that i should quit drinking and i have for 4 - 5 weeks now.

it is the "healthy eating" that i find it difficult to implement or even contemplate and whether i can skip, if i have alcoholc kind.

i wouldn't know where to start. maybe i should talk to nutritionist or dietician. i guess i can google to find one.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just get out of being an alcoholic and that will give you more than what you think you could be.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can get fatty liver from being obese and eating too much junk food; in this day and age I have even read reports of it leading to cirrhosis in non-drinkers (high fructose corn syrup is now related to liver scarring). However, if you have been drinking “a few drinks” or more daily and you don't have weight problems, it's safe to say it is related to alcohol.

Either way, eat well and don't drink and you will make a lucky escape and full recovery.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forehand36 View Post
my doctor told me just that i have a fatty liver, did not tell me whether it was alcoholic or non alcoholic

i have read somewhere else that if you have alcoholic fatty liver, all u have to do is stop drinking. that alone should get you out of the mess.

did your doctor tell you whether you had alcoholic or non alcoholic fatty liver when you were disgnosed? is there a way to tell?
I would suggest that you have a discussion with your doctor and ask if it is in their opinion, alcoholic or non.

Be sure that the doctor knows the absolute truth about your history with drinking alcohol before asking for the opinion.

This is the way to know for sure.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, your doctor can tell by which enzymes are elevated as to whether you have alcoholic or non fatty liver. I had non but I was honest about my drinking and the liver doc told me the alcohol wasn't helping and to quit. I did, lost 40 lbs and after 3 months my blood work was normal. Whew! The thought of liver disease (among other things) keeps me on the sober path.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katrinka View Post
Yes, your doctor can tell by which enzymes are elevated as to whether you have alcoholic or non fatty liver. I had non but I was honest about my drinking and the liver doc told me the alcohol wasn't helping and to quit. I did, lost 40 lbs and after 3 months my blood work was normal. Whew! The thought of liver disease (among other things) keeps me on the sober path.

did you happen to ask the liver doc, once your numbers are normal, was ok to drink in moderation?

or is it really a case of once damaged, never can drink again, even if repaired?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

once again, YOUR liver is different from others. You really should be asking the Nephrologist or GI doc, not online.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forehand36 View Post

Fatty liver is fatty liver, the difference is one is caused from excessive drinking and the other usually from being overweight and on a poor diet.

The alcoholic fatty liver will go away on it's own by simply stopping the alcohol intake, and eating a healthy diet helps as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had a friend who had this and she went 6 weeks without drinking and her liver was fine after six weeks of no drinking. I would think it is the alcohol.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

is there a way to tell?
Well, if you have to ask, I think that's a pretty good sign alcohol is a factor...

did you happen to ask the liver doc, once your numbers are normal, was ok to drink in moderation?
Seems like you just survived a game of russian roulette... and you want to play again? Be very careful, because that sounds like the kind of thinking people do on their way to irreversible damage. What you've learned is that your liver is vulnerable. I'm pretty sure on-again, off-again drinking is not what your doc is talking about when he says you must stop.

Congrats on these weeks; I hope you keep on going.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by katrinka View Post
The thought of liver disease (among other things) keeps me on the sober path.
No doubt.

We're talking a LONG list of other things.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Well, if you have to ask, I think that's a pretty good sign alcohol is a factor...

Seems like you just survived a game of russian roulette... and you want to play again? Be very careful, because that sounds like the kind of thinking people do on their way to irreversible damage. What you've learned is that your liver is vulnerable. I'm pretty sure on-again, off-again drinking is not what your doc is talking about when he says you must stop.

Congrats on these weeks; I hope you keep on going.
i don't know whether im rationalizing my way into irreversible damage, but i had no idea that drinking at my previous level was going to result in liver damage. i mean, i thought you had to drink a bottle of liquor a night for a long time to damage your liver.

now that i know where the danger line is, i plan to drink at most couple times a week and in moderation, few drinks, if i am told by medical professional that one can drink in moderation again, with ex fatty liver.

i find the prospect of not being able to drink again not very appealing.

any how, i will be calling my GP today to set up an appointment to find out whether my fatty was alcohol or not, and what stage it is at. i'm kind of upset that doc did not tell me these details when he told me i had a fatty liver.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
I had a friend who had this and she went 6 weeks without drinking and her liver was fine after six weeks of no drinking. I would think it is the alcohol.

some people told me that it will takes months and even years to reverse alcoholic fatty liver?

6 weeks is remarkably short. i hope i'm as lucky.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

your doctor may tell you that some people's livers are much more sensitive than others..even if they don't drink at all, they are prone to a fatty liver.

i think it is Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis??
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For all intents and purposes they're the same. If its Alcoholic FLD, it's from your drinking, if you don't drink heavily, it would be non-alcoholic. Its just classification of the different causes for the same condition. It doesn't so much matter. The distinction is made, I would guess, to tell clinicians what the next step is in your disease. If its AFLD you have the potential to get a lot worse...but that's only because as alcoholics we're all insane as heck and we have a tendency to drink ourselves to death.