Notices

Drunk dreams, teaser or welcome reminder.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drunk dreams, teaser or welcome reminder.

Seven days sober for me and I'm having drunk dreams everynight, the feeling on initially waking up is awful but then the sober reality slowly kicks in and the relief is like nothing I've ever experienced. I heard someone on here say they call them their freebies and that's a great way to look at it. I don't mind my mind playing tricks on me when I'm sleeping as it's not possible for me to pick that first real drink up. Drunk dreams, Im learning to love them as an Allie allie rather than an enemy.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on yr week Bluebird

D
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hey Cardiff, I am proud of you boyo!!!
Billy
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and you Billy mate. Onwards and upwards
Old 05-19-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Bluebird-

Congrats on being sober! I still have these dreams here and there. For me, the dreams send my anxiety through the roof!! But you are right! It's a great reminder of WHY we cannot take the first drink. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't dream of diet pepsi!!!! lol
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had one last night myself and only took a sip, but felt so badly about it! I quit drinking for a year and 3 months once and had the drinking dreams super intensely for a long time. I know they got less frequent over time, but never less intense for me.
I know what you mean about feeling relieved when you wake up because it almost strengthens your resolve! Now I'm on day 11 so I know they are in my future. I don't mind though, that guilt reminds me of how actual drinking felt.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Pretty standard these dreams, IMHo I think its our mind trying to tell us something...Do not drink ever again.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
o_0

I am on my 3rd day only, and I had that drinking dream last night. I thought it was just me but now I see its natural i guess
Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

7 days Blue, wooooohoooooo GREAT JOB!!!

and hey Soul, also, way to go congrads on day three~~~~!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bluebird1927 View Post
Seven days sober for me and I'm having drunk dreams everynight, the feeling on initially waking up is awful but then the sober reality slowly kicks in and the relief is like nothing I've ever experienced. I heard someone on here say they call them their freebies and that's a great way to look at it. I don't mind my mind playing tricks on me when I'm sleeping as it's not possible for me to pick that first real drink up. Drunk dreams, Im learning to love them as an Allie allie rather than an enemy.
Some years I do a lot of fishing and dream about that. I don't read too much into it. I suspect guys who have been carpenters for 20 years dream about banging nails sometimes after they retire?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never dreamed about drinking until I stopped.The dreams were vivid the first year then came less and less over the years.They are normal for alcoholics trying to sober up and nothing to be afraid of,most every sober person has them especially in the beginning.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on 7 days....

Keep that positive attitude ..you are sounding super!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by SoulFly View Post
I am on my 3rd day only, and I had that drinking dream last night. I thought it was just me but now I see its natural i guess
I had them too...and the longer I was sober...less they happened.
Good to know your making progress...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I never dreampt that I drank until last week after 95 days passed. It shook me up, both in the dream, and upon waking. Still does.

I was worried that it meant I was unconciously slipping. But I think now it meant, that since people around me were slipping, there before the grace of God go I.

In the dream, I had to experience shame and the feeling of disappointing myself and others that came with just one drink. It gave me more empathy for the people around me. The reason I feel so resolute about not ever entertaining a slip is because I will feel all that shame and disappointment and devestation I did in the dream. I will feel I have to start at day one.

And I cannot let that happen. I owe myself that much.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

God's freebie and a not so gentle reminder that the disease is alive and well!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, thanks for the lovely posts and compliments but once again the weekend tricked me into thinking the dream becoming a reality would be ok. :/

Not getting down about it though, staying positive and starting over.

For those of you viewing this thinking drinking would be worth it and things would have changed, it's not and they won't. Exactly the same feelings, exactly the same guilt and exactly the same urge to continue to get blasted.

In a way I hope my slip can save a few of you from relapsing. IT IS NOT WORTH IT!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's really hard though. Sometimes, even me before - I feel guilty of myself. Yeah it is not that really worthy but probably that's for now. In the end, you have to learn to be more optimistic and get out of it totally.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i have these dreams from time to time, had two this past weekend actually which kinda surprised me. I always wake up feeling scared for a minute before I realize it was just a dream. they used to make me kinda anxious but now I just look at them as a symptom of my alcoholism/recovery.