Notices

Lying about yourself while drunk

Old 06-01-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Oh, I used to make up some crazy stories. My favourite was to pretend I was a manager of famous rock bands and I used to sneak myself backstage at gigs by small, struggling bands on the basis that I might give them advice. In fact, I talked a lot of nonsense and drank their beer and led them up the garden path. Nasty behaviour, if you think about it. Why couldn't I just say the truth: I like music and I came to see you because I thought you would be good?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I actually had the opposite problem. I would overshare and divuldge information that surely belonged in the "too much information" category. :-) Thankfully, I never divulged other people's secrets.

I never blacked out, so I always woke with full memory (and shame and regret) from what I had said.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LDT

Thanks for starting my Friday off with a smile I don't think I was clever enough to lie so convincingly when I was drinking. I think the biggest lie I told people when I was drunk was that I wasn't drunk ( yeah right ).
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I would talk through my nose or pretend to sneeze or yawn and say I was coming down with something----yeah an all nighter!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Zee

Great thread... thanks for making me smile!
I never was one for lying, but telling people home truths (that probably could be handled far more sensitively, if at all, when sober!) That is a BIG regret I have!
This has made me VERY aware of what I say to people now, so I don't unnecessarily hurt their feelings.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow, this is a great topic. My most memorable lie was my Australian alter ego. I would get really drunk and pretend to be Australian and hit on girls. I also remember lying about being published in the New Yorker.

I mainly “lied” about my future though. I claimed my band was going to hit it big, or that I was going to be a famous writer. Sadly, I actually believed those things. That said, I also no doubt lied about past successes that my band never accomplished…
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yup, that dam alcohol!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have the same issue when drinking. I am only one day in on a multi year binge. but the lying is affecting me and causing some real heartache as an aftermath.

About one year ago I met a girl, at a bar, who seemed really cool. I lied about my past and who I was. As things progressed we started seeing more and more of each other and found that I fell in love with her. It was too late to take back all the lies so I kept the cover going. Well long story short, I wound up in a hospital for drinking and all of the lies came out. She was irate... and I was embarassed.

We are expecting a child and she moved in with me prior to the hospitalization. Recently I have been lying to her about my drinking and that jsut stirs up more distrust between us. That was my aha moment when I knew that I was stressing our relationship.

I dont know exactly how to rebuild the trust between us and it is eating me up inside. I am not a liar when I am sober, but she does not seem to care and says that she was drunk for years but stil managed to tell the truth...

How does a recovering alcoholic recover a relationship also? It is all so much and so confusing at times.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This is an old thread. Wow.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
EndGame

Trust is the first thing we lose, and the last thing we get back. Since like many of us, you've rendered your words meaningless, the only thing you can do for yourself is to I continue to work on your sobriety.

Though I didn't lie about my past with my ex, it was inevitable when she came to know the extent of my drinking that she'd no longer have anything to do with me. This after many months of my brief and insincere attempts at getting sober. I only told her I was going to AA meetings because I wanted her to get off my back about my drinking.

We were good friends for a few years during my longtime sobriety before we started living together, just a short time after I began my three-year relapse. Lost her, our friendship and any possibility that I'd ever see her/speak to her again.

None of this is meant to discourage you. But I do think it’s important for you to understand what you may be up against.

Again, the best you can do for yourself -- and for her -- right now is to make an honest effort to get sober. Nothing good can come of this without it.

Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
I have the same issue when drinking. I am only one day in on a multi year binge. but the lying is affecting me and causing some real heartache as an aftermath.

About one year ago I met a girl, at a bar, who seemed really cool. I lied about my past and who I was. As things progressed we started seeing more and more of each other and found that I fell in love with her. It was too late to take back all the lies so I kept the cover going. Well long story short, I wound up in a hospital for drinking and all of the lies came out. She was irate... and I was embarassed.

We are expecting a child and she moved in with me prior to the hospitalization. Recently I have been lying to her about my drinking and that jsut stirs up more distrust between us. That was my aha moment when I knew that I was stressing our relationship.

I dont know exactly how to rebuild the trust between us and it is eating me up inside. I am not a liar when I am sober, but she does not seem to care and says that she was drunk for years but stil managed to tell the truth...

How does a recovering alcoholic recover a relationship also? It is all so much and so confusing at times.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

/delete

but in commenting this goes into my scripts so I will come back to it either here or with a shrink.

Thank for starting this thread, mate.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Oh man, thanks for the laugh. I, too, was a lying drunk. I haven't thought about that in years.

I would sometimes develop a passable English accent for some reason and pass myself off as British - I would try it even with acquaintances who knew good and well I wasn't British! I was out with an Aussie friend and was able to mimic that accent, as well. I was a social worker, had a PhD, etc. Yeah - crazy crap.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A few times when someone would ask me my ethnicity I would lie and say I was a little bit Portuguese. I don't know why I wanted to be Portuguese so bad. I think every heavy drinker has told a bar story or two. I don't think that makes you a bad person. I guess it depends what you lied about though
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Bellamy Brothers - I'd lie to You for your Love - YouTube

Here ya go

You can bet when i was drinking "somthing " was going to happen ,no telling what
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I was a terrible, mean gossip when drunk. I had no sympathy, no compassion, no discretion. Secrets told to me in the strictest confidence spilled out as the wine flowed in. I'm so ashamed of myself for this. I haven't had a drink in years, but this still haunts me.

Freddy, you are a pretty funny guy. If you were my friend, and you sent a "newsletter" to me and your other friends detailing all of your "aliases", with an explanation about your new sobriety and an apology, I would probably have a good laugh and forgive you.