Notices

Day 18, brain zaps out of control

Old 05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 18, brain zaps out of control

These have been since day one. I kid you not when I say they are happening every 30 seconds about ten at a time. I havent had these since I quit Zoloft 5 years ago and they werent like this. Anyone else? This and severe liver pain are keeping me up at night. I hope I havent permanently damaged my brain, thoughts?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what a brain zap is, but severe pain of any kind warrants a visit to the doc.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hogi

My suggestion to you is find sprituality. If you haven't yet or try meditation
Old 05-18-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flhogi View Post
My suggestion to you is find sprituality. If you haven't yet or try meditation
Or a doctor...
Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sounds pretty miserable..I'd get to a doc!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with those saying see a Dr - brain zaps weren't part of my experience in early recovery, but the severe liver pain really needs addressing as well.

D
Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely call a doctor! I've had brain zaps when coming off of certain meds - never this frequent, but they feel terrible.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What exactly is a brain zap??
Old 05-18-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger05 View Post
What exactly is a brain zap??

For me, it felt like electric shocks inside my head. It feels scary and uncomfortable.

From Psychology Today -
The symptoms are described as brief but repeated electric shock-like sensations in the brain and head, or originating in the brain but extending to other parts of the body. Sometimes moving of one's eyes quickly from side to side has been shown to trigger brain zaps. Sometimes brain zaps are accompanied by disorientation, tinnitus, vertigo and lightheadedness.

In withdrawal from antidepressants, sleeping pills or anxiety medications, these jolts of electricity can worsen and become debilitating, although there is no current evidence that the zaps present any danger to the individual, the serotonin antidepressants appear to be linked to brain zaps, as do anxiety medications and sleeping pills that target GABA.
I had them when getting off of gabapentin.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, those sound scary. I get sudden, extreme dizzy spells that scare me to death. Not the same thing I guess, but equally scary I'd imagine. I've had a 100's of these spells, but each time I'm almost certain that I will die.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I got brain-zaps when I quit Paxil. Never from quitting booze.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please don't mess around with any pain or brain problems.
Seeing a doctor is a wise move....

Not everything that happens is caused by drugs or alcohol withdrawal...
however you must be straight up with a professional so the correct tests and treatment can be done for you.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I went to the ER day 1 2 and another ER day 3 of detox. I was told I am having anxiety attacks. I went to my pcp a week later and he explained i must need an antibiotic for my constant stomach pain and I threw it away. I am looking for personal stories now thanks to the great doctors in my area and their misdiagnosis... I think I am done with them, they didnt even know what brain zaps were. Yes I was honest about my drinking history, they wont stop and one er doc said the next time he sees me in his hospital hes admitting me into outpatient rehab which is enough to scare anyone into never getting help from a doctor again.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A competent doctor? Sounds scary, bro. I'm the last guy you'll see running to a doctor, but I know 1000's of recovered alkies and drug addicts and never heard of this one.

I promise you, whatever it is drinking or drugs won't help.... with the caveat of stopping intake of certain drugs and alcohol abruptly without medical supervision can be dangerous.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
I went to the ER day 1 2 and another ER day 3 of detox. I was told I am having anxiety attacks. I went to my pcp a week later and he explained i must need an antibiotic for my constant stomach pain and I threw it away. I am looking for personal stories now thanks to the great doctors in my area and their misdiagnosis... I think I am done with them, they didnt even know what brain zaps were. Yes I was honest about my drinking history, they wont stop and one er doc said the next time he sees me in his hospital hes admitting me into outpatient rehab which is enough to scare anyone into never getting help from a doctor again.
Are you going to NA meetings?

Why would you go to the ER to get help and then NOT do what you were told?

Who are you to tell a licensed Doctor that he misdiagnosed you?

I wish you the best bbe but you are going to have to quit thinking that you know what's best here and start trusting somebody. Just my $0.02

Bob R
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Outpatient rehab is a good thing! You go to group sessions, meet with counselors, have your vitals tracked regularly and get the support you need to quit without having to uproot your life to a facility for a month or more. A lot of programs offer a night/weekend option in case you are working.

The ER doc is right to suggest anyone that wants to quit try that option.

You just have to want to quit.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im sorry, i meant to type inpatient rehab. Also, anxiety and brain zaps are two different things. I just want rid of the brain zaps, they keep me up all night.

Yes I go to AA every Thursday night. I have cuustody of my daughter on other nights.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Getting Healthy

Brain zaps sound scary!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I got brain zaps when I gave up anti-depressants. It was terrifying. Took about a week to go away and I would freak out if I was exposed to bright light.

Definitely see a doctor.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Payton View Post
For me, it felt like electric shocks inside my head. It feels scary and uncomfortable.
I experienced this as well when I quit drinking, but I was never able to track down an article on it, or find someone who could could confirm it. It really did feel like electric shocks in my head. Thanks for the reference.