Notices

Help please

Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Help please

Well, I had an appt with the therapist I have been sent to by my doc. Was basically crocked by 2 yesterday so blew him off. My doc seems to know what he is doing. The Campral and two other meds for blood pressure and nervousness. Can't really tell what the Campral is doing but the other two are working. BP is great and not so jumpy. I am having a hard time coming to grips that I just can't drink anymore. And, I read that you got to stop drinking for the Campral to be effective. Also, Mrs. Drunk wants to make changes (dumped everything we had out today and doesn't want to leave me home alone, which is most of my drinking takes place. I resent that a bit. I drink less when we are out with friends. I have been drinking my entire adult life 28 years and heavily for the past several. I got the Big Book and started it tonight and also have ordered a couple other books. Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

RD...Hi again....

The book that opened my eyes to active alcoholism is...."Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham.

Amazon usually carries it as well as it's sequel "Beyond The Inflluence"

While not everything applied to me....a lot sure did..:yup;

And....Yes I use the AA BB to live as a recovered alcoholic.

All my best to you and your wife...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 2 begins in a few minutes. I have not seen a day two in a long long time. If ya'll don't mind, I will keep checking back in with you. Happy Friday, everyone.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

While it is wise to have a medically supervised de tox....you may find
this link informative ....I hope so.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Indeed, depending on the quantity of alcohol you're coming off of it can be dangerous to stop abruptly without medical supervision. Consult your doctor and hospitalize yourself for a few days if necessary.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drank about the same amount of time you have (a little longer.) But YOU have to want to quit. If you are quitting because Mrs.drunk says so,you might not get far. Getting the Big book is a huge step in the right direction. But going to AA would be a bigger one. Quitting is very difficult,as you are probably aware of. But being around others that are quitting or are have already quit makes it a lot easier. Only other alcoholics really know what this is like. And that is what you will find at AA,other alcoholics. But as I said. YOU have to want it.
I wish I would have quit 30 years ago,but oh well. As someone said on this forum. "The best time to have planted a tree was 30 years ago. The next best time is today"
I wish you the best.
Fred
Old 05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am trying to quit because my health, business and family life is beginning to suffer. I honestly wish I could say I wanted to more than felt like I have to, but that will have to be worked out. I know everyone has told me I won't quit until I want to. Mrs. Drunk just wants to help and support me in anyway she can. It's not like she has a gun to my head.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

It doesn't sound as if you really want to quit. How much effort are you putting into quitting? Campral won't work until you've quit drinking. What plan did the doctor suggest for stopping completely? Cold turkey can be lethal, so the doctor can help you come up with a plan. AA, along with counseling and staying stopped can also help you. First, you must help yourself.

Campral is a brand name.

"Acamprosate(a kam' pro sate)

Last Revision: February 11, 2012.

Why is this medication prescribed?

Acamprosate is used along with counseling and social support to help people who have stopped drinking large amounts of alcohol (alcoholism) to avoid drinking alcohol again. Drinking alcohol for a long time changes the way the brain works. Acamprosate works by helping the brains of people who have drunk large amounts of alcohol to work normally again. Acamprosate does not prevent the withdrawal symptoms that people may experience when they stop drinking alcohol. Acamprosate has not been shown to work in people who have not stopped drinking alcohol or in people who drink large amounts of alcohol and also overuse or abuse other substances such as street drugs or prescription medications."
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I will respond later. Thanks for the input. And yes, part of me wants to.quit. I wish it were a bigger part.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think I really want to quit. I like to drink. But, part of me also wants to quit and can see that is where I have to go, If I want to live a full life. I am going to keep trying. Obviously, this is not going to be easy. And, yes, I am under the full care of my doc as for the withdrawl symptoms. I need to stay completely sober long enough for the campral to hopefully do what I am told it will do. The funny thing is I got up after not having drank on Thursday, spent a full day at work, a bit more focused and then came home last night and had several shots. Starting over, again. Crap.