Notices

Got stood up last night

Old 05-18-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got stood up last night

On the plus side, it means I didn't go to a slippery place, but it still sucks! An old friend from high school was in town and we were supposed to meet up at 7 for "a drink" b/c I knew he'd never agree to just coffee. I chose the bar my hubs works at b/c it's a safe place for me, it's a restaurant lounge and everyone knows me there and is supportive, plus my husband was there at the time. Then I got all nervous b/c all this friend and I used to do was get high, and he was most obviously still at that point in his life.

I wanted him to still accept me, even though I'd changed. So I called my sponsor and talked it out, reset my expectations back to zero (or at least tried to) and got ready to go. And sat...and waited... As the time came and went I started to feel really rejected. Just like when I was in high school and wasn't part of the crowd.

I was pissed! Who does that?? Makes plans and then just totally flakes?? Oh...wait...I used to do that ALL THE TIME. So I got stood up, my ego is bruised, I feel rejected. But at least I'm sober, and (now) I keep my word and I can see how I've hurt people in the past, and work everyday to never do it again.

Oh and I have 9 months today and that'll cheer anyone up!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by foodie1 View Post
Who does that?? Makes plans and then just totally flakes?? Oh...wait...I used to do that ALL THE TIME.

^^^ I know that feel.

Naught for nothing, but you may find it easier to stay sober if you don't hang out in bars..... Or at least you'll find it harder to take a drink if you aren't in close proximity to it.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time....

I too felt rejected by people who still used and drank
Sooo...I found supportive ones that suited me better...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to deal with it...'it wasn't 'meant' to be possibly. Congratz on 9 months!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

It's funny how our old behavior is seen in others. I now know how others felt when I did the same. It's probably best that they didn't show up. It's not a comfortable feeling, I know. Stay sober! It keeps getting better for us. I'm glad I'm not the one standing others up today.

Congratulations on 9 months!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cool beans on 9 months!!!
i got a brother i havent spoken to in 5 years. he came up to my place when i was about 4 months into recovery. everything about him pissed me off. flat out lies. stealing crap from my house and stashing it in his car. smokin pot out in my shop. realized i was lookin in the mirror when i looked at him. never saw it when i was drinkin.