Notices

I am having a bad day

Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am having a bad day

I am having a bad day today. I have a lot of family problems at the moment. Also I have no job, I have been unemployed for a while. I have been sober since the 4th of December but today everything is getting on top of me. I need help. I go to AA meetings, but I find it difficult to speak in front of everybody. I have issues relating to confidence and low self esteem, I talk to my counsellor. I also have huge issues relating to shame, shame about my alcoholism. I am so ashamed right now. My aunt mentioned something about it to me just now and I am so ashamed.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

time to get involved and ask for help at them meetings. thats what they are there for. there is an answer for every problem in life in the big book. have you gotten any numbers? have you called anyone from AA? do you have a sponsor yet? do you have the big book yet and are you doing anything the big book suggests we do?
i used to have lack of confidence and low self esteem. it was a way of saying i'm afraid of what othe people think of me. what did i do? got me some courage and opened up! it was the only way i could get the help i wanted and learned how to live life on lifes terms.
if ya dont open up, ya wont learn how to live and ya wont let others help you, which is denying them helping themselves.
the program of AA will help you get rid of the confidence, low self esteem, and shame problems you are having, but theres footwork.
any issues you have are not original. they have happened before to others in recovery( low self esteem and shame are quite common to newcomers in AA). there is a solution, but ya goot work for it.
now quit kikin yerself in the arse, get to a meeting, open up, listen, read the bb, do what it says, get a sponsor and work the steps. give it T.I.M.E and you will change if ya work for it.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The Serenity Prayer often keeps me in balance...

Good to see you here again...
Old 05-19-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the advice I tend to worry too much about what people say and over think everything. At the moment I am just taking things one day at a time and trying not to worry too much about things. One of my favourite quotes is "Do not start today with the broken pieces of yesterday" and I try to keep this in mind. Now I'm off out, thanks again for the advice It helps a lot..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

5 months is awesome! What step are you on?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
I have issues relating to confidence and low self esteem, I talk to my counsellor. I also have huge issues relating to shame, shame about my alcoholism. I am so ashamed right now. My aunt mentioned something about it to me just now and I am so ashamed.
Abstinence is not-drinking and feeling bad bout it. Recovery is not-drinking and feeling good about. Alcohol is but a symptom of a bigger underlying malady - being uncomfortable in our own skin.

Spiritual recovery involves finding the POMJSOP (Peace Of Mind, Joy & Sense Of Purpose) that makes life worthwhile without a mind-altering substance to camouflage the real problem.

"In this life - pain is inevitable - suffering is optional".
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just my opinion, I think having a job and an income stream really does wonders for a person's physical/mental well-being. The feeling of security and financial independence cannot be bought, bartered, borrowed, faked, etc. Apply to jobs like a freakin lunatic. Apply to 100 places and guarantee you'll get at least 1 offer.