Notices

this normal?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
hab

this normal?

So I've been drinking a bottle of wine (almost) everyday for the past 6-7 years. About two-three months ago I started drinking a 1L bottle a day (instead of the regular 750ml). Always while cooking , during and after supper.
I knew exactly where this was going, and four weeks ago I've decided to quit. Cold turkey. I had no symptoms, other then cravings while cooking or during supper. Sleep was way way better, and I felt a lot less tired. I'm not overweight, I try to stay in shape, and I'm in good health.
In these last four weeks I drank socially three times, when out with friends.
What scared me and pissed me off is that when I quit, I felt really depressed for about 4-5 days after I had the last drink. Usually I'm never depressed. And when I drank again those three times, same thing happened, I was depressed again for 4-5 days after.
Is this normal? I can deal with the cravings, and physically I have no other symptoms. But the depression thing I don't know how to deal with it other then never touching alcohol again? And of course I hate the feeling.
I'm not into going to see a doctor and get some pills because I know that it passes, and I know that if I don't touch alcohol at all, depression goes away naturally.
But this sucks.
And my question is, is it normal??
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everybody is different hab; a lot of folks have reported something similar to what you stated, but not all.

I guess the important thing--and the thing to be happy about--is that you know that it's a passing responce. It is also noteworthy that you had any responce of withdrawl at all--that, along with your recient increased consumption, might tell you a few things.

I wouldn't worry to much about what is or isn't normal in this case...just be relieved that you are in good health and you understand what is going on
Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

Depression was part of my withdrawal always, hab.
Things are a lot better for me now I don't drink at all.

D
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi hab,
It is quite normal to have feelings of depression when stopping drinking. It could be that you are experiencing mild withdrawal. I'm sure most people here can relate to feeling down when stopping their usual drinking routine.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When alcohol caused me to be depressed....I quit drinking...

Welcome....
Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a friend that ate some fried clams once and got really sick, he hasn't touched shellfish since.

If you feel bad when you do it, don't do it anymore. If not doing it anymore is a problem you may want to take a look at that.

Stands to reason it it's "no big deal" than NOT doing it would be "no big deal".
Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Hi Hab, I'm into 6 days of sobriety (tried and failed many times before but giving it another shot), and I am depressed, angry, sad, resentful, and all around just p*ssed off. It happens every time I quit drinking but eventually the feeling passes. Then when things are going OK, something happens, a trigger sets off and I'm back to square one, drinking again. This morning I cried for the first time in a long time. Once I let it out, I went outside and chopped the hell out of wood for the stove fire. It helped relieve some of my pent up frustration towards this cruel disease. Alcohol is a natural depressant

Hope things get better for you
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

It's the start of alcohol highjacking your soul. Go back to what you were doing before and it will all get worse.

After many years drinking it took six months for things to work their way out of my system.

Alcohol is addictive- it is easy to forget that early on
Old 05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hab

Thanks for the replies.
I don't feel down when I drink, on the contrary. It's when I stopped drinking that I felt all depressed.
I'm realizing that this is not at all normal and it will only get worse if I keep on drinking.
Everybody has a reason for quitting drinking. When I drink, at one point I get really jumpy and I almost always have an argument with my girlfriend (or anybody else for that matter) about something that usually is not even an issue. When I don't drink I'm the kind of of person who can have an intelligent conversation on any subject. Seeing me like this worried me, it's not hard to see where this was going. That's why I've decided that this is enough.
7-8 yrs ago I quit smoking cold turkey. I was smoking almost two packs a day. I thought that quitting drinking will be easier. It ain't. It ain't harder either. It's just very different. I think it's a sneakier addiction then smoking, because it really messes with your head and with your perception of reality.
Anyways, when I quit smoking I did it by following a single simple rule, to never put another cigarette in my mouth, no matter what.
We'll see how it goes with alcohol.
And it really helps knowing that I could have the help and inspiration of some of the nice people on this forum.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hab View Post
... following a single simple rule, to never put another DRINK OF ALCOHOL in my mouth, no matter what.
It is impossible to become drunk if you don't put the stuff into your body. There's plenty of people who manage to do this on their own or through religion, you might consider attending some AA meetings, a lot of people just like you find their answers there and it helps keep yourself honest with WHY you must never touch that first drink.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, hab..

Yes, I have to agree with you that cigarettes are a TOTALLY different kind of quit!!

This is sneaky, nasty, much different. Something about altered perceptions will do it, I guess.

I think I would RATHER quit cigarettes, they aren't associated with fun. Just ick
Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sleep was way way better, and I felt a lot less tired. I'm not overweight, I try to stay in shape, and I'm in good health.
But this sucks.
And my question is, is it normal??
It will suck from a certain perspective, but use your own words against yourself.

Sleep was way way better, and I felt a lot less tired.
Yes, it's normal.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I disagree that it's not "normal". Alcohol is a depressant! Plus it happens to me all the time. Just like you say it, depressed after I drink alcohol, any amount.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Feeling different in a way that helps you realize the positive energy surrounding you is a good sign. Everyone wants to feel better after the pain. Hab, be more optimistic and value your own self. for sure you will know the answers.