Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

In-Patient Rehab/Residential Centres--Experiences Requested, Please.

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Hi everyone,

For those who have been a resident of an in-patient rehab centre, what were the specific benefits and/or drawbacks of being part of such a program?

I have read stories of some who have attended more than one and still haven't achieved recovery, so I don't know what to think about the success rates of different places/programs etc.

Also, I'd prefer a non-12 step one but it seems that most are centred around this philosophy.

This may sound bizarre, but I also don't think I can go a day without having access to my laptop. It IS what keeps me sober at times. I read about one place where they allowed no electronics and that is just a truly panic-filled thought for me.

What were your experiences like? Thanks for any sharing.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I did rehab, it was about 14 years ago, and I don't recall specific rules about electronic devices, as I had neither a laptop or a cell phone. They may have mentioned it, but I would have tuned it out. They *did* allow me to bring my cross stitch supplies though, which helped a LOT -- I'm very fidgety and having something to do with my hands helps me to focus.

The main drawback for me was leaving. When I went into rehab, I was terrified to be in "the outside world", as it were, because I could not stay away from alcohol, and in rehab I wouldn't have that worry. So it became a safe haven for me, and when my time there was finished, I was scared that I wouldn't have that haven any more. But I do attend 12-step meetings, and that togetherness helped me find the courage & desire within myself to stay sober.

Having said that, I did eventually relapse, but that was after 5 1/2 years of sobriety. I had stopped attending AA meetings when I was about 18 months sober, and I think that was the biggest factor in my relapse.

I think the biggest plus for rehab is that, if you pay attention & give it an honest effort, you can learn a lot of tools & coping strategies to help with not drinking.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

My rehab was about 34 years ago. I thought I am going to hospital so I will come out cured right? Wrong! The best you can hope for is a clear head and some strategies to start your recovery. I stayed sober for about two months on my own, probably the most miserable time of my life, and then I drank for another year or two.

In the rehab there were about 10 of us who had some chance of recovery, the rest being wet brains. Two of my buddies got sober right away and stayed that way in AA. The other eight of us battled on, we didn't want no 12 step program. The first one died in a house fire within two months, the second in a bar fight about two months later, the third went to sleep in his room while a party was happening. His cigarette set the matress smouldering. He died while his freinds were partying in the next room.
Within two years my two buddies and me were sober in AA. All the rest were dead. None of us managed to stay drinking.

This might sound bad but actually it is an extremely good result, a 30% recovery rate from that group of 10. What would worry me is that today, our local rehab claims a 2% recovery rate. Doesn't bear thinking about.

For alcoholics of my type (beyond human aid) I have found it counter productive to place conditions on my sobriety. Recovery just isn't possible if I get to trying to arrange everything to suit myself. In fact I had to go to extreme lengths to overcome this disease, most of which (the steps) didn't suit my alcoholic self at all.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,
My detox rehab was in January this year.
Pros: sufficient Valium x3 days to keep me chilled,
Great food, nice people, NO access to booze!!!!!!, being in the pack of fellow addicts convinced me I was one, regular wake/sleep times, some good lectures. Great process group (therapy), NO access to booze. Internet cafe from 4-6 daily. Very structured. Twice daily AA meetings. Broke the hideous downward spiral of drinking. Quit smoking at the same time!

Cons: strong religious overtones throughout, especially 12-step teachings. A few youngsters were overly immature and disruptive. I didn't care for the "do your AA program or you WILL die"- That was quite off-putting.

Overall, couldn't have quit without going inpatient. I strongly recommend it.

Take Care,
Pam
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went as part of a work type intervention... I didn't want to and I really resented it.

While it was strongly 12 step based, it was not exclusively so. Small group sessions were not really at all 12 step. There was alot of emphasis on mindfulness and CBT, both in small groups and in the full group sessions... Role playing, work sheets, group problems solving, team building, all that... I don't stress out with religious stuff, and while there was some spirituality, I really felt that I was given lots of space to work that out for myself.

Regardless of one's bias regarding spirituality and religion, there are concepts within the big book of AA and the 12 steps that are useful, no? My favorite classes at rehab were the big book sessions which were lead by the medical director and this once street level alcoholic with a strong Irish brogue... Those were awesome, at times absolutely hysterical and at times deeply moving.

This rehab was very strict... No outside literature, not even newspapers, unless it was recovery related and approved... No computer, cell phones, mp3 players, radios, TVs, all that. Food was pretty good though the coffee stunk... Which was a good thing since I wasn't sleeping too good, LOL.

Most people who go for inpatient treatment get something out of it... I think the stricter, the better, actually... Are you going to get recovered or surf the Internet? They have plenty of support if and when you need it.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I've been to about 7 rehabs. I liked the ones that had the better food, better bed, allowed electronics ect... Of course, I had insurance when I went to those luxury type rehabs. Towards the end, I had to hit Salvation Army, state funded programs ect...If having your laptop is important to you than try to find one that allows it. It may sound trivial to some but I understand. I would not enter a treatment unless they allowed me to bring my non-alcohol related recovery books in.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Thanks for understanding about my laptop addiction, Just!

Honestly, I am on here for hours and it DOES help me with my (albeit faltering) attempts at recovery.

I do have a good health plan. I guess my next step is talking to my doctor and making some phone calls.

-----

Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

My rehab was structured, there was no time to be on a laptop or on a phone. Group and individual sessions, activities, eating, always something to do. Focusing on what is being said was crucial to those attending the rehab.

I hope you find what you are seeking!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

After my detox (which included a week in the hospital for serious complications) I went to a faith-based rehab that was pretty strict: no laptops, mp3 players, phones, radios or TV. I didn't really mind even though I'd been online a lot and was helped by the Soberrecovery forums. The only things they wanted you to read were the Bible and the Big Book and to keep your mind focused on recovery.

I found the structure and safety to be most helpful; I needed the rules- get up at 5:30, make your bed, go to grateful circle, do your chores, go to classes and be on time, fellowship with your peers. I had to force myself not to isolate and participate fully. If I'd had access to my laptop it would have been too much of a diversion from the real work of sobriety. I was inpatient for two months over Christmas and New Year's and it was wonderful to experience sober holidays.

I was very reluctant to go but it was the best decision I've ever made. I have a new life now and next week I will be six months sober. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Liz,

Pretty strict? That place sounds like a convent.

I don't believe in the bible as a divinely inspired text and am VERY hesitant about AA, so that type of program would not work for me.

Thanks for your best wishes and am so glad it worked for you
Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

My 35 day stay was actually quite enjoyable. There were 90 people at any given time in the addiction program and they were from all walks of life with all different addictions. In my group were teachers, cops, lawyers, doctors, nurses, stock-brokers, professors, auto-workers etc...

We went to different classes during the day and had mandatory recreation periods for sports or arts and crafts. They had a full gym with a pool, even a bowling alley. In the evening everyone went to AA or NA meetings held in the centre or in the local community. Everyone had to be back in the dorm by 10pm for check-in, then we watched TV or movies. It reminded me of being at university my first year actually.

On the whole, it was a great experience. I've had one relapse since I got out last June. It really changed my life for the better.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I did 30 days and it was the best thing that happened to me. Actually it was great to go 30 days without electronics. It was truly trial by fire for this laptop baby, but I came out with a clear head and an appreciation for silence and tranquility.

It's best to think of rehab as a beginning, not an end and not a cure. You will only be successful if you follow up with some sort of strategy or recovery program.