Notices

Topiramate

Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Topiramate

Hey guys I posted a little while ago that I was quitting drinking. Didn't take lol. My psychiatrist who I go to for methylin (ritalin) gave me a prescription for topirimate to help with my cravings. Anybody have any experience with this stuff? I took one last night and one this morning like I am supposed to and I feel WEIRD. My hands are fuzzy and I feel kind of light headed. Also have this warm fuzzy feeling in my chest (not the kind you get when you are in love). A few minutes ago it was kind of difficult to move my mouth while talking. I don't know if I'm having an anxiety attack or if these are side effects of the drug. I guess I'll see what the dose tonight does.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

How about you call the doctor and tell the doctor what you've told us here ?
Old 05-10-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

YES, CALL that doctor and ask those questions.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been on 150mg brand Topamax throughout my entire drinking career, it def sis not help with crqvings and caused such bad panic sometimes I had to pull over while driving. It will make you forget words and makes me forget how to talk sometimes but I need it for migraines. Doc also said it has contributed to liver damage. Its too new, they cant even check a level of it in your bloodstream. I would rather work on outside triggers (bars, music) because for me it never worked and I am having cravings now day 10
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

no experience here either - but I'd definitely call my Dr if I had reactions like that ceponatia - best to work out whats causing it I think.

D
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah I talked to the doctor he said it was an anxiety attack which I get without the drug anyway so I'll stick with it. So far so good. Any time I even think about drinking I feel sick. 'Course I feel sick when I don't think about drinking to.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well day four on Topiramate and I won't lie and say that it's a wonder drug but I haven't had anywhere near as poor an experience as "behindblueyes" has. Obviously I still have that "thirst" that alcoholics always have when they try to give up drinking but I don't feel like I have to stop on my way home and buy a six pack like I usually do. I still stop at the same gas station that I always did but instead I grab a pepsi or bottle of water and feel perfectly content at home to glug away on those (unfortunately the drug has changed the taste of Pepsi slightly but I'm getting used to it). I did drink three days ago and it was a weird feeling because I didn't feel like I needed to drink, I felt like I wanted to. Anyway it turned out to be a friggin' horrible experience. I didn't get drunk like I've ever experienced before. I think that's extra motivation to stay sober because I never want to feel that sick and out of my mind again.

There are some pretty severe side effects like the person a few posts above me said but I think they're worth it in exchange for beating my addiction. It's not like I'm going to have to be on these meds forever.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That methylin really made me crave alcohol bad... I don't know if that is relevant to you or not, but maybe something else to talk to your doctor about?