Notices

Recovered?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
those active drunks!

I prefer children with special needs over the typical rugrat.

I understand where you are coming from!
Yep, at least they are havin fun!

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
\Or is there something going on in you that requires a new 4th step action?

Nope, not at all, Im about as happy as you can get.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i have recovered from the hopeless state of mind that made me drink, but i'm not recovered from my thinking. i am not cured either. i have a daily reprieve contigent on the maintenence of my spiritual condition.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

reminds me of a young mom at the saturday meeting I used to attend. she always talks about how her child and husband wake up cranky on saturday. she talks about "needing meetings" and she's really saying she prefers her friends over her family. she can't see it, yet.....
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yea, I know what you mean.

I am fortunate, there is a group of recovered guys at my meeting... we yuk it up after the meeting, maybe extend our hand to a newcomer, have some cake... but we also go to music events (jam bands and bluegrass), hunt, fish, ski.. not constantly but regularly... we have fun and we are recovered.

But I also have friends not in recovery, though one or two would benefit, LOL... and we do the same things together... Not much different, really, except I have a diet coke instead. Memorial Day weekend is comin' up... a weekend on canoes, whitewater, camping... some of them will be really smashed a lot of the time... Turns out I have more fun than they do, because I don't hurt the next day and I have no regrets about what I did the night before...

Pissin' and moanin' and all that, in sobriety, is.... well, just staying sick, might as well go drink for chrissakes....
Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was recovered once.

After 5 1/2 years I found out I hadn't actually recovered, I was just in remission. I spent about a year trying to get "recovered" again.

Now, although I've got some decent sober time again, I feel that I'm still recovering.

If I ever get cocky and think I've recovered again, I'm afraid I might try to drink a beer, thinking I can handle it.

Experience has proven that I can't.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
It all depends on where you apply the NOT:

RecoverING = Needing to think about NOT drinking.

RercoverED = NOT needing to think about drinking.
Good analogy Boleo.

I have noticed those who have recovered seem to be able to demonstrate this fact in their daily lives.
On the other hand, those who are yet to recover, seem to be able to demonstrate this fact in their daily lives.

Incidentally, I believe the word recovering is used twice in the BB.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post

After 5 1/2 years I found out I hadn't actually recovered, I was just in remission. I spent about a year trying to get "recovered" again.
I can be "recovered" from a gunshot wound but that doesn't make me bulletproof.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I am recovered from my alcoholism and drug addictions. My continuing journey thru life is not a recovery from anything alcoholic anymore, its just real and honest living. I've paid the price of my active alcoholism already, and thats the end of it. Sweeeet!

I'm alright with whatever anyone calls or dosen't call their own journey out of alcoholism, not really my business, but i do know we are what we think and feel, and i don't feel like I'm in recovery, and the thoughts just ain't there to think I'm in recovery.

I still have other challenges, of course, life is like that, no problemo, but still, alcoholism is no longer, and has not been a further problem for me for well over 28 or 27 years of my 30 years of sans alcohol. And even those early 2 or 3 years of recovery were totally about living the good life compared to the drunken hot mess I was. Absolutely.

Yeah!

Recovered!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:42 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

For 20 years I was a weekly binge drinker, for the 10 years after that I was a daily drunk, for the past 3 years I've been a non-drinker. I'm happier now than I've ever been in my adult life and I have no desire for even one sip of alcohol. Whether that makes me recovering or recovered, doesn't really matter. I'm now free to make my own choices and for that, I'm truly grateful.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If recovered means not having to worry about having a beer, then I can never afford to think about myself in that way. I am fully confident that if I didn't take a drink for the next 30 years, I would still enjoy the buzz as much as I did five months ago--and I would want another. This would open me up to making mistakes that might harm my fellows; mistakes society cannot and should not tolerate.

That's not thinking or worrying about avoiding a drink 24/7, its a simple conclusion that I must hold fast to. It's not about me. It's about the innocent people around me that have a right to go about thier lives without some random drunk causing chaos. I have discovered I enjoy getting drunk. Therefore I do not and will not drink, ever.

Yea, I'm writing this as much for myself as I am a responce to this thread!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
instant

I don't use these words in my understanding of my situation.

I do think however that this wondrous situation has to be connected with and lived
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I recovered from my drinking, I still have the disease of alcoholism. One big change for me was when I stopped getting sober and just started living sober. It wasn't a change in how it worked the program, it was a change in how I saw myself living with my disease. I found no reason to stop going to "organized AA". I thank God there were people in the room when I came in that had 1. 5, 10 20, 30+ years of recovery. I cannot continue to practice step 12 unless I am in a place where other alcoholics are to ask for help. For me, that is an AA meeting. The times I find myself to sober to sit hand hear the terminal hopelessness in AA is the time I need to start another run throught the 12 steps, especially the third and fourth steps.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I consider myself recovered. I no longer want to drink(to me this is one step up from I no longer NEED to drink).
I understand the danger of this thinking. My hatred for alcohol and all it's demons will never allow me to take the first sip(of poison).

My life went from hell to glorious and there is no way I will ever go back to hell.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I do not want to drink. I know very easily if I let myself and my guard down, that could return. I don't allow myself to say I am recovered. I don't allow myself to say I am confident in my recovery.
I allow myself to say I comfortable and happy in my recovery, however. This allows me to work on it which in turn allows it to work on me, therefore always keeping me vigilant and alert.

In fear of it? Not constant. Scared of being that person 12, 19, or 30 years down the road who relapses? You bet. It could be any of us. That is why I have chosen to take this stance instead.
=)
Old 05-09-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'll never be recovered.
I've said and believed with every bit of conviction I've ever had that I'd always be recovering.........

I was wrong - again.

I'm recovered now. Still working on the quality.....still maintaining it.....but I'm recovered.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

"Recovered" occurs many times in the Big Book.

It's what happens to us when we work the program.

It's in the title of the book:

Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism

Examples in the text:

... recovered. BB p.17, There Is A Solution
Nearly all have recovered.

... recovered. BB p.29, There Is A Solution
Further on, clear-cut directions are given showing how we recovered.

... recovered. BB p.90, Working With Others
If he says yes, then his attention should be drawn to you as a person who has recovered.

... recovered. BB p.113, To Wives
He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered.

... recovered. BB xxv(xxiii), The Doctor's Opinion
This man and over one hundred others appear to have recovered.

... recovered alcoholics. BB xv, Foreword to Second Edition
In that brief space, Alcoholics Anonymous has mushroomed into nearly 6,000 groups whose membership is far above 150,000 recovered alcoholics.

... recovered, and have been given the power ... BB p.132, The Family Afterward
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others.

... recovered, but holds a relatively unimportant job, ... BB p.146, To Employers
An alcoholic who has recovered, but holds a relatively unimportant job, can talk to a man with a better position.

... recovered from a hopeless condition of mind ... BB p.20, There Is A Solution
Doubtless you are curious to discover how and why, in the face of expert opinion to the contrary, we have recovered from a hopeless condition of mind and body.

... recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of ... BB xiii, Foreword to First Edition
We, of Alcoholics Anonymous, are more than one hundred men and women who have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body.

... recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of ... BB p.133, The Family Afterward
We, who have recovered from serious drinking, are miracles of mental health.

... recovered immediately and became A.A. number three. BB xvii, Foreword to Second Edition
Their very first case, a desperate one, recovered immediately and became A.A. number three.

... recovered is the main purpose of this ... BB xiii, Foreword to First Edition
To show other alcoholics precisely how we have recovered is the main purpose of this book.

... recovered long ago. BB p.45, We Agnostics
If a mere code of morals or a better philosophy of life were sufficient to overcome alcoholism, many of us would have recovered long ago.

... recovered, of their chance. BB p.96, Working With Others
He often says that if he had continued to work on them, he might have deprived many others, who have since recovered, of their chance.

"Recovering" appears just once when referring to someone in the beginning of their recovery journey, presumably not having completed the steps yet.

... recovering. BB p.122, The Family Afterward
Our women folk have suggested certain attitudes a wife may take with the husband who is recovering.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Happy joyous and free, that's right! There are many meetings out there with the "terminally hopeless" mindset, but that's not where I would go to find the kind of recovery I want either. What ought a meeting be rather than an honest demonstration of the solution, a place to meet other recovered alcoholics that can help us or that we can help, and I believe that what's inside had better be more attractive than what's out there. Stugotz, I have a lot of respect for you on these boards. If I were in Florida looking for the kind of knock-your-socks-off meetings that are genuinely carrying the AA message, I would ask for recommendations from Peter Marinelli, head of the Florida House. He also has some outstanding speaker tapes, which you can find for free through XA Speakers online. Chris R. is another one I would definitely suggest googling. Big hugs <3
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post

Examples in the text:
Don't forget the promise that gives us back power:

"We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others."
(page 132)
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
Don't forget the promise that gives us back power:

"We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others."
(page 132)
Number 7, and a great one!

Love seeing you on the boards, Boleo.

I gain so much from what you share.

(And you make me smile!)

:ghug3
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i have a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition.
Beat me to it.

All the best.

Bob R