Notices

Do triggers have a strong impact on you?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

Because I am barely 1 week sober, I avoid triggers for now. My biggest trigger right now is sitting on the couch in my living room watching TV. Because for the last several years, the moment we put our kids to bed, we'd grab our bottles or glasses and head into the living room and turn the TV on. So I know that for the time being, that's not the atmosphere I need for recovery. Instead, I shut myself up in my bedroom with the computer, some snacks, some music, and I'll read and write. I need to vent, during this beginning phase of recovery. I need to let things out, emotion, words, etc. It may seem like isolation and maybe it is, but so far it's working for me. In time, I'll learn to cope with other things.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a drug and it has its wds on the mind what worked for me was to get up and get busy dont sit around and think about the problem, stay away from the old playmates and play grounds. I started painting cleaning wood and paint brushes this keep me in the here and now that was good all though I was not a trained painter but I learned and stayed sober. Keep it simple as you can and you will have a chance. Blessings to you.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

NewStep - Welcome! Your post helps some of us who have a bit of sober time under our belts to place our feet back into the shoes of someone new. I appreciate the opportunity.

Nothing wrong with avoiding triggers in the early days of sobriety when you know nothing about nothing so long as you are taking concrete steps to equip yourself to deal with these situations/cravings. Take heart and know that for many, knowing how to deal with life without alcohol doesn't magically become apparent the instant alcohol ingestion is ceased!

And speaking of concrete steps, lots of 'em are provided above.