SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Two years - Newcomer? Hear what I'm saying... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/255932-two-years-newcomer-hear-what-im-saying.html)

ChickenStu 05-04-2012 09:55 AM

Two years - Newcomer? Hear what I'm saying...

At some point today or tomorrow I'm two years sober.

On one fateful night just over two years ago I drank a litre and a half bottle of vodka to myself, and the next morning I knew the game was up. So on the following monday I went to my Doctor, told him I had a bit of a problem and wasn't leaving his office without a prescription of some sort.

He told me that the pills would do the trick and don't worry about AA.

I had a goodbye to alcohol and bought all my favourite things. And in the morning when I woke up my wife bought up to me my first pill and a glass of water. She also said that it couldn't hurt to give AA a try - so 6 days sober I found my local meeting. And when I walked into that room I knew my life had begun again.

I'm now two years without a drink. Life ain't perfect, my wife will still never completely forgive me - but I've now got a better chance of seeing my two beautiful girls grow up.

Listen, if there is any newcomer out there who is struggling - please believe me it's possible to get off the grog. You'll never be cured of this disease, and you don't get away clean. NO-ONE gets away clean...

BUT with the right help and the 12 steps - it's possible to stop drinking if you want it. Believe me guys if I can do it anyone can, cause I was pretty much written off as a hopeless case before I walked into that room. It gave me a shot not only at sobriety - but also at redeeming my soul.

Give it a try people. NEVER give up.

stillsleeping 05-04-2012 10:08 AM

Thanks Stu :) I'm going to go YouTube Steely Dan...

Still
xx

sugarbear1 05-04-2012 12:37 PM

Congratulations on 2 years!!

hypochondriac 05-04-2012 01:13 PM

Congratulations ChickenStu :) x

instant 05-04-2012 02:49 PM

Not sure about Toto but I'm solid with you on the rest. Well done, your story is an inspiration.

would you consider Henri Mancini?

Scolova 05-04-2012 02:56 PM

Congrats Stu! & Good post. :ghug3

Bamboozle 05-04-2012 03:16 PM

Congratulations on your sober time. :ring

heath480 05-04-2012 03:26 PM

Congratulations chickenstu.

Dee74 05-04-2012 03:30 PM

Congratulations Stu - fantastic post & message :)

as for Toto...many many times have I played 'Hold the Line'....lol

D

Sally1009 05-04-2012 04:39 PM

Awesome post! Very uplifting and inspiring..

Hevyn 05-04-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks for a wonderful post! So happy for you - congratulations on your 2 yrs. sober. I know you're still healing and mending - it'll just keep getting better.

Love me some Toto. :)

gunther84 05-04-2012 05:29 PM

Congratulations on two years....thats awesome.

recoverywfaith 05-04-2012 05:31 PM

Congratulations.....:scoregood

winslynn 05-04-2012 05:51 PM

I didn't want to go to AA,wouldn't listen to any advice until I could see death was right around the corner.Best thing I ever did was to finally go and keep coming back until it took.
2 years is your apprenticeship,now the service work begins.We serve or we fall by the wayside.Don't be one of those guys who goes away after everything gets good again in life.This is not free.

CarolD 05-04-2012 05:54 PM

Well done....:birthday

ChickenStu 05-05-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by winslynn (Post 3389300)
now the service work begins.We serve or we fall by the wayside.Don't be one of those guys who goes away after everything gets good again in life.This is not free.

You'll be pleased to hear that I am secretary of a meeting, a sponsor, and am about to represent the fellowship by visiting people who are on probation. I do my bit.

Veritas1 05-05-2012 06:58 AM

Thank you for sharing your victory! :)

ChickenStu 05-05-2012 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by instant (Post 3389036)
Not sure about Toto

Sacriledge! lol.

but I'm solid with you on the rest. Well done, your story is an inspiration.

Thank you so much. I couldn't have done it without help though. Humility is a vital part of recovery...

would you consider Henri Mancini?

Henry who?

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3389104)
as for Toto...many many times have I played 'Hold the Line'....lol

Bah, they've done better tunes than that! Still a great tune though!

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 3389238)
Thanks for a wonderful post! So happy for you - congratulations on your 2 yrs. sober. I know you're still healing and mending - it'll just keep getting better.

Thanks for the kind words...

Originally Posted by Hevyn (Post 3389238)
Love me some Toto. :)

I've become something of a nut on them!

Originally Posted by Veritas1 (Post 3390029)
Thank you for sharing your victory! :)

The victory is not mine. The victory is AA's. It's them who deserve the pat on the back for this. They made this possible, along with so many other things. :c031:

artsoul 05-05-2012 02:08 PM

Wonderful post! I just marked 2 years a few days ago myself, and couldn't have said it any better! Congratulations!

And hey, 2 thumbs up for Toto. (Besides, 2 years sober entitles you to listen to polka, marching bands or whateverthehell you want!):c031:

lifewithoutbooz 05-05-2012 04:01 PM

Hi ChickenStu,

I just joined today and it's posts like your's that will help me get on the right track of life. Thx!