Notices

dry drunk - wwyd?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dry drunk - wwyd?

I've recently come to the conclusion that I'm a dry drunk. I went to treatment, floated on my pink cloud for two months, then promptly crash landed and stopped putting any work into recovery. I've had a couple of 2 week relapses, followed by weeks back in the rooms trying to figure out why I still feel like ****.

Anyway. I'm now wondering if maybe I should go back to treatment (and take time away from stressors in my personal life) and try to get a kick-start back into my recovery. Or if I should stick around where I am and try to find a way to do more meetings, get a sponsor, etc (while working full time and taking care of a husband and two kids under three). I don't know if I'm considering rehab as yet another escape, or if it may actually be beneficial to someone in my situation.

WWYD?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wanted to add, the rehab program I referenced in my first paragraph was just over a year ago, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

I have no experience with treatment centers because I went directly
into AA for my successful recovery.

Here is the link to your first post....you had good replies there

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-i-denial.html

Sorry you feel overwhelmed ... Please do whatever it takes to live sober.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Been there myself and seen plenty of others in the same spot. In short, if nothing changes, then nothing changes. If we are beyond human aid, rehab and meetings may help but they are human entities and cannot ultimately fix us. The answer for me was found in the steps and nowhere else. Adopting those principles as a way of life is what brought about permanent recovery. As the book says, I wanted to quit for good and all, and I went to any lengths to achieve that.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jorona -welcome back

I didn't go to a treatment centre either - but I do work on my recovery every day and I stay committed to staying sober because I know I can't do this by half measures.

I had to keep up the work - especially in the beginning - it was always too too easy to convince myself that I'd do it tomorrow, or it was boring, or why the hell did I need to work on my recovery anyway....

whatever you decide to do - whether it's AA, or rehab, or some other method like SMART or Rational Recovery....if you want to quit, if you want your life to change for the better - give it everything you have

D