Notices

Cravings...ugh

Old 05-03-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cravings...ugh

I've been sober for 22 days (yeah me!), but today I have some super strong cravings to drink tonight. I've been feeling really good until today. I can't think of any reason what brought this on. I felt this way all day. I'm in work until 10:30 pm but I'm seriously considering buying beer. Why?
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why? I have asked myself the same question over the years...yes I am a one of those people who relapses over and over..I have had periods of sobriety...then it seems out of the blue the cravings hit me...I used to think they come for no reason...on reflection certain patterns reveal themselves...fatigue, anger, anxiety etc...alcohol used to be my best buddy, nothing like a glass of whatever took my fancy after work or whenever I decided or the craving became overwhelming, for me that little voice in my head that says have a drink, sounds good, yes, yes, yes-why? I can not drink one drink anymore, my addiction is strong and the cravings are going to come, at times I will be prepared, at others I really hope I can ride the roller coaster, hold on tight and not buy, pick up, or rationalize the first drink, that's the killer for me...positive thoughts go out...no matter what the craving throws your way...don't pick up the first drink...don't be a chronic relapse alcoholic like myself...best wishes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think addiction is necessary always logical - sometimes I found that was true for cravings too ?

I hope you resisted renee

D
Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, I loved my alcohol. However, I hated
what it did to me and how it kept me a prisoner
dragging a ball and chain around day in and
day out.

Recovery allowed me to place the key of
willingness in the lock, turn it and be released
from the bondage of alcohol.

Freedom at last.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was getting cravings in the middle of the day at work Renee, which was stupid because I never drank at work. I eventually realised that I used to start thinking about drinking in the early afternoon hence the craving when I stopped drinking. Or like Dee said it could be random. Whatever it is just ignore it the best you can...come on SR, go for a walk...

Well done on the 22 days x
Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

You're coming up on 30 days....the body changes. There's also a full moon tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Full moon?!?! That explains a lot!! I am at 6 weeks today and all day all I could think about was going to get drunk. I think my cravings get worse when I am stressed out about other things, not sleeping good, having trouble with the girlfriend... but I made it through today by just getting through it one hour at a time. And I found ways to distract myself and keep my mind busy... went to the gym, went to the shrink, got on here, talked to a friend. You can do it!!! Stay strong! Remember you are not the only one feeling that way, you are not alone!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Cravings? Yes..I had them too and here are some things that worked for me...

In early sobriety....I timed my cravings

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort

Soooo....I took action.
Walked...Brushed my teeth... Drank cold water..Ate small healthy meals
Took bubble baths...Put on favorite music...Prayed often...AA meeting daily.

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care

Yes you too can win over alcohol...and you are worth the effort....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I never had cravings like that. I just went and drank without any thought about the consequences, then I would think how the H did I get started again. Then the craving came and I had to drink till the spree was over, maybe four days. Nothing could stop me other than being locked up.. When the spree was over it was "never again!", then a day or two later I just went and drank without any thought... hang on, haven't we been here before?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made it to 23 days!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Renee, now it must be 24 days, well done.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AHHH yes, cravings. Had them today as I attended a wonderful birthday party at the beach. Beers and drinks were poppin and my radar went up. Thankfully no one offered me anything except an open cooler with alcohol and waters in it. My choice was water. As I saw everyone soak up the sun and get relaxed, I developed my own term-"beer envy." I realized I was kinda actually jealous of all the folks around just laughing and having a good time and most importantly-having drinks. I had to keep reminding myself that these people (well, who know if all of them are that way) but most of them are going to have 1-4 drinks and be done with it. If it were me, I would quietly sensor my number of drinks at the party but make an effort to get really buzzed, then go home and binge out the rest of the night. I know my pattern well.

I love what CarolD said "In early sobriety....I timed my cravings

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort"

It made me realize that it felt like a long time that I was having these cravings today, but in reality, it really wasnt that long of a time and I pushed through it!