Notices

Rigorous exercise worsen withdrawal?

Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rigorous exercise worsen withdrawal?

So about a year ago, I went through some EXTREME alcoholic withdrawal. Had to go to the ER for it. Granted I've never been waterboarded, but I have to believe that severe alcohol withdrawal gives it a good run for its money.

The last drink I've had was a little over a month ago now, but it was only one beer. Even 72 hours after that one beer, I went through some withdrawal! Is this normal??

My real question is about exercise though: It's often been said that exercise is a good way to deal with the anxiety. I started an exercise routine that is extremely strenuous, and it seems like I'm getting short panic attacks more and more often now! I can't really explain it. I'm just wondering if such exercise routines might actually worsen the withdrawal symptoms, because in some way the alcohol is leaving your body faster.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a Dr - but if your last drink was a month ago I'd focus on other factors beyond withdrawal.

I'm not sure if you've seen a Dr, but I would consult your physician - panic attacks are not fun...and maybe a less strenuous exercise programme is best for a while?

D
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...

If I were having panic attacks or bouts with anxiety I would see my doctor.
I seriously doubt that 1 beer a month ago is the cause.

Hope you can find answers that help you...
Old 05-04-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol messes with your central nervous system and causes your body to try to counteract the depressive nature of the alcohol. Wiki has a better explaination. Take the alcohol away and your body goes into what I call buzzsaw anxiety. It usually takes me a few days before my body starts to equalize again. Like the others said, a month after a beer may be something else. Exercise can help calm/tire a body in hyper-overdrive from acute withdrawal.

I have found that nicotine and caffine (stimulants) can really torque the anxiety during acute withdrawal.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a nice fear buster in the beginning years,then it makes you fearful and weak emotionally later on.By the time I was in my forties I was plauged with unfounded fears.
Getting sober by going to AA and doing the 12 steps has eliminated most of the exaggerated fear,there will always be fear because it is an emotion....but not the anxiety that the alcoholism brought with it towards the end.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BILL!! Im experiencing the exact same thing as you. Ive never been an alcoholic, I just started binge drinking on weekends last year for a few months (Im 21) and suddenly this thing started happening to me. Any news about it? Im scared I might never be able to have a single drink in peace ever again?
Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did I give you this tolerance and kindling link before George?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lly-again.html

Im scared I might never be able to have a single drink in peace ever again?
There are worse things George
I used to hate myself and my life as a drinker - the difference now is astonishing

D