Notices

What to tell the Doctor

Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to tell the Doctor

Hi everyone. I'm coming up on 5 months Sober and have made an appointment to get a full checkup (it's been years). I'm self employed, so my health insurance is not that great and when I applied for it I did not list Alcoholism in my medical history as I figured that would cause denial of coverage or a huge rate increase. I would have no problem admitting my past alcohol abuse to the doctor, but I also don't want it "on the record" because that could affect my future rates/coverage. Any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cfm

Any suggestions?
The truth
Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's axiomatically true that the truth shall set you free but it can also cost you a boat load of money.

I tell my doctors that I no longer drink, although I once was quite accomplished at it, and that I like to be very, very careful in terms of narcotic prescriptions.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tell him or her the truth, you don't drink. If you don't want it on the medical record, it doesn't have to be.

If you feel comfortable you can go into detail. It doesn't have to be at your first visit.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DOS: 11/6/10

I lost health insurance due to my honesty. if I could re-do that particular day, it would have gone like this:

"I would like to be completely honest with you for the purposes of my health and a good working relationship with you. Therefore I ask that you listen very carefully to the following statement and allow that to be the only thing reflected in my medical records: I am a non-drinker."
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

be honest, not stupid. this is kind of like goin in for an interview for a job. what to say when the question comes up," do you drink?" well, i have heard quite a few people who have had excellent interviews until they mentioned they are recovering alcoholics. poor employers turned em down.
i would highly suggest keeping the info from the insurance company.
as for the doctor: i hadnt been to a doctor in a looooong time and i didnt mention anything about my past alcohol/ drug use until i was comfortable knowing he was going to be my primary care provider.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Waterforme,

Have you ever been diagnosed or treated by a Medical Doctor for Alcoholism? Not did friends and family tell you that you are a drunk, but have you actually had a Dr. treat you or send you to a rehab or even make the pronouncement that you are suffering from alcohol related problems.

I was a prodigious drinker for many years and I knew I had an alcohol problem, but since I rarely ever bothered seeing a Dr. and fortunately never had any reason for them to see me, I was never told or diagnosed with any alcohol related problems. Never had a DUI or any official record that tied to my alcohol abuse. I went to AA to get sober so there was no medical treatment.

When I was needing to buy some key man insurance and re-do our health policy with my business partner back in 2002,2 years after I quit, it just so happened that my AA sponsor with 35 years was also my insurance agent. We discussed what the forms required and since I had no medical history, just my "self-diagnosis" that sent me to AA, there was no requirement and I can answer honestly that I have NEVER, as the wording of the question asked.....

"Have you ever been diagnosed with or treated for an addiction to alcohol or illegal substances?"

Just my experience.

Jon
Old 04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the reply's everyone! I think I'll simply (and truthfully) present myself as someone who does not drink and not mention my past. I feel great physically so hopefully everything checks out ok
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you'd like to get some bloodwork prescribed to check for liver damage etc., you can safely say that your family history included some liver problems. Then you'll get some useful numbers.