Notices

Seeing A Professional In Recovery------

Old 04-26-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Seeing A Professional In Recovery------

I just had an appointment with my psych Dr. & she said that she was proud of my sobriety time. I never had a Dr. say something like this & took it as a compliment. I did tell her that had she seen me a few years ago she would be very frustrated with me. When I pick up a drink, therapy & medication are completely useless. Family, friends, AA members, professionals would talk to me & it was like talking to a brick wall. My mind was so clouded with booze & cocaine that I couldn't even distinguish the true from the false. So grateful that my life isn't like that anymore. Of course, it still has a lot of wreckage from the past. But it is better & I must remember that.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see an addiction counselor weekly and it's a lot of help, not just for staying sober but for all aspects of my life. She's a treasure and I'm grateful to have her help and insight.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Isn't it amazing, Just.........

How you can look back now, at what you were like then, and see an absolute disaster-case. "Shut off, defiant, full of hate, didn't trust anyone, hated men/women, hated myself, delusional, convinced I was managing well...." Those are some of the more common things I've heard. Yet, at the time.....to a man/woman, EVERY single one of us would have said, "Oh, I'm good.....things are ok" or maybe "Well, it's a challenge, but I'm doing ok" if we'd been asked how were felt emotionally. The kicker is......we believed that we WERE OK.

Through the clarity of hindsight though, it's never, "Oh, I was ok.....not that bad......pretty good." Nope, it's almost always pretty depressing/nasty stuff.

It truly IS insane what I was willing to consider "normal" back then.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Day, yeah my normal was pretty screwed up. I'm amazed at how much time I wasted. Years of serious addiction went by in an instant.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
High on Life

Awesome, I've been going to my therapist for 2 yrs now, and it only gets better.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a good thing that even other people really admire how we recover. It way more fun when people give you compliments that would help you in becoming a better and improved individual.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I personally did find it difficult if not impossible to derive any benefit from therapy until I quit drinking. Afterwards, therapy did me a world of good.

I have a good friend who is a therapist, though, who tells me that he often can make progress with people who are still drinking, as long as they are in the Contemplation Stage: thinking about quitting, but not ready to do it yet.

I guess experiences vary.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even when I don't think much of myself, I still care about what my Psych thinks of me. That and my dogs keep me pushing.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Recovery experience

Hi, it shows you can really turn things around. Not long ago I was always drinking too and felt completely hopeless. I feel like I've started to slip again though as I stayed off alcohol for a while before drinking again. I'm really hoping I can stay off alcohol again and keep it that way.