Notices

obsessed with drinking

Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Something you said jumped out at me, endpointe. You said "...my obsession to drink outweighs my dance career right now." Looking back on my life before getting sober I can see how slowly, over time, my drinking / drug use became more important than school. I can see where it became more important than work. I can see where it became more important than running. I can see where it became more important than my girlfriend, my family, and my friends. Like you said, that is the "insane" part about it. It became more important to me than anything else and consequently I lost all those things. It didn't happen to me overnight. It was a progression. I got to the point where I could not "picture life without alcohol." I became unable "to imagine life either with alcohol or without it." I had to get to the "jumping-off place" they talk about in Alcoholics Anonymous. AA was the last house on the block for me. It was give AA a shot or die. But my drinking wasn't always that way. Early on in my drinking career I could never have imagined it would get so bad. Don't test the waters to see how bad it can get or how far you can take this. It gets very, very bad. The good news is, by making recovery the #1 priority in my life, just as I did with drinking, and going to AA meetings, getting a sponsor, and putting 12-steps into my life and trying to help others, I've been able to make a start at getting all those things back in life that I had lost. I am able today to live a life that is happy, useful and whole.

All BB quotes-First Edition

Last edited by jdaviscpd; 04-26-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Quotes
Old 04-27-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All I can say is to give more time on your career than drinking - which will never give you anything better. Everytime you see a bottle of alcohol, throw it in the garbage and always be the one powerful than that bottle.