Notices

New here, day 3, Crazy feelings ahead

Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, day 3, Crazy feelings ahead

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to give this a go...again. Have a quick question but first a little background: I'm 31 and have been drinking since I was 16. I used to drink everything including the hard stuff but once I started blacking out and doing dumb crap I had to quit the liquor. So right now I stick to lots of beer and wine. I usually drink until I pass out and haven't vomited since I was 24 (is not throwing up normal because when I was younger I would yak all of the time if I drank too much?).

My drinking patterns and career kind of help me get a few days of a head start on sobriety. What this means is that I work grave shift starting Sunday night so I'm able to not drink that day. Also, I typically only drink on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. Friday and Saturday I hit HARD. So because of this I am able to get about 4 days in before I allow myself to drink (sometimes I will drink on other days if my day was crappy at work). This is my current drinking schedule. I've been a daily drinker in the past.

The reason why I drink on Thursday is because I start getting this overwhelming energetic feeling that I have NO clue how to deal with. It doesn't feel bad but not particular good either. It's hard to explain. And since I can't figure out how to deal with it I get anxious I just say screw it and drink some beers. This seems to even me out. Anybody have a clue on this?

I also start to get very agitated at everybody. My wife and kids especially. Once I calm down I feel bad about it. How can I deal with this agitation? I try to consciously be aware of it but before I can stop myself I'm yelling and screaming.

I think if I can deal with these feelings and get through the weekend I will have a small but yet huge victory........
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on making the decision, and good luck. Talking to people is great, but I always strongly advise seeing a doctor if the withdrawl symptoms become overwhelming.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hey vinnie, welcome! the agitation and irritability is perfectly normal for day 3, (i was terrible for it, and so not proud of myself for being like it) just gotta sit with it mate, it will pass in a few days time, its cool your aware of it though, thats half the battle, i find the best thing to do is voice it (on here if you like) just vent it out, to take the power out of whatever is agitating you, a problem shared is a problem halved ya know,
also try not to put yourself in any position which may bug you and cause you to hit the 'fck it' button...ifya know what i mean, ya need to keep yourself safe at the mo
n like i say, ifya need to vent we're here forya buddy, vent it out on here in a thread/blog/pm ..whatever it takes, best wishes mate
johnny
Old 04-24-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vinnie302 View Post
The reason why I drink on Thursday is because I start getting this overwhelming energetic feeling that I have NO clue how to deal with. It doesn't feel bad but not particular good either. It's hard to explain. And since I can't figure out how to deal with it I get anxious I just say screw it and drink some beers. This seems to even me out. Anybody have a clue on this?
Yes, I had this. Along with a fear of being 'too conscious'. The energetic feeling I guess is just adrenaline. I think everyone on here can relate to some form of this which is basically 'I want booze!'. I have come to realise that my response to any emotion or physical feeling is to poor alcohol on it. Look into AVRT, that may help with the 'screw it' reaction.

And the anger thing is totally normal. I spent my first 2 weeks just looking into anger management rather than struggling to not drink. It passed though

Glad you're here x