Notices

question...

Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question...

hi, im new and have a question.

is it ok to be here if i am still drinking daily?? i know i have a problem but im afraid to quit drinking and i dont really know what sobriety would look like...i dont want to have this compulsion to drink but i dont know if im ready to give it up completely. thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, enpointe. I think a lot of us came here before we completely stopped drinking. If you are looking for support and some good reasons why you probably should quit for good, you will find it here.

Hope you'll hang around and do a lot of reading, starting with the stickie posts at the top of this forum. You'll find a lot of good information there. All we really require here is honesty and that you not expect anyone to promote drinking or glorify it in any way. Alcohol has caused most of us a LOT of heartache and some pretty severe problems, so we don't have much of a warm and fuzzy feeling about it, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was still drinking when I got here enpointe...I credit this place and the people here with getting me sober. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

I will say as a newly sober person though...don't be scared of sobriety. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. I kind of waited til I felt 'ready', I think. I don't think I know or knew what 'ready' looked like. I do know that I wish I'd tried sooner...
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was drinking, too. I continued to for months after joining. I wasn't quite ready, but I knew in my heart my drinking career was over. Reading the encouraging posts gave me strength - helped me make my move when the time was right.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started reading this site first. Then realizing my problem wasn't all that unique and it was fixable I decided to stop drinking. It's been over a year now. Between live chat and the forums was able to receive the necessary support to make it happen.
Anyways, hanging around is a good idea!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

ab-so-lutely, I started reading here in late-2010, became a member in January 2011, in April 2011 I went twelve (consecutive) days sober which was the longest I had gotten in twenty years. I went back to drink-as-usual through the summer up until September of 2011, by then I'd had enough, I was sick and tired of being the slave and all of the great advice and experience I'd read here on SR flooded into my brain. It was a very rough detox (etc.) for me, especially the first month, but I've been free & sober for a whopping seven months now. I would not trade my sobriety for all the money in the world.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you are here!

Stick around here, there's a lot of support!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would like to tell you that I quit drinking when I joined this website. Unfortunately, that's not true. It took me several more months of trying to finally find success. I've learned a lot from this site (and also from AA) and it has been a huge part of my sobriety. Stick around, it can really help.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ok...thanks...i seroiusly hate myself right now bc i dont want to keep drinking but i do it anyway. i feel so weak and like such a loser. im about to lose my job bc of it and even that isnt enough reason to quit. i cant sleep or eat...my whole life is consumed with alcohol. i am so miserable but cant imagine my life withou t it. when i try to sleep its fitful and my heart is pounding and i cant relax. i feel like a freak. i dont know why i do the things i dont want to do. i used to not be this way.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have your answer endpointe

I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol either - but I'm glad I trusted those here who'd done it and assured me it was possible...my life is immeasurably better now.

I know yours will be too

D
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am finishing day one after being a 5th a day drinker for the past several years. In a perfect world, I could just keep drinking, but, the signs of damage are showing. I look around at a lot of people and feel like I can't be part of them due to my habit. I have to get through the weekend and meet with my Doc on Monday. I would sure like a glass of whiskey right now.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Consider seeing your doctor for some help with detox. Lots of us needed help with the withdrawals. You’re not alone. We know just how you feel.

I don’t know your work situation but you might also consider telling your employer of your problem (though I'm sure they already know). Tell um you have a plan to detox and get help. You might be surprised how supportive they can be when they see an employee take the initiative, address the problem and follow through with a plan.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
So it goes

hi enpointe, most of us come here like that, and end up wondering why we ever drank.
Welcome!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome Enpointe. Despite my initial reservations (ie dread) I have found sobriety rocks and the living is easier and more relaxing.....................and I have lost weight and feel younger....................etc
Old 04-21-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome enpointe, I also joined here while drunk, I got so much help and support from here I'll be 12 weeks sober tomorrow.
Good luck
Old 04-21-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ok...thanks...i seroiusly hate myself right now bc i dont want to keep drinking but i do it anyway. i feel so weak and like such a loser. im about to lose my job bc of it and even that isnt enough reason to quit. i cant sleep or eat...my whole life is consumed with alcohol. i am so miserable but cant imagine my life withou t it. when i try to sleep its fitful and my heart is pounding and i cant relax. i feel like a freak. i dont know why i do the things i dont want to do. i used to not be this way.

Try an experiment. Take alcohol out of the equation for 6 months and then see if the above is still true.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enpointe View Post
is it ok to be here if i am still drinking daily??
Certainly. Hang around and maybe you'll come around.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by instant View Post
Despite my initial reservations (ie dread)
Loved this Instant

I didn't come here to clean up; I was researching for a story I was writing. I never imagined I could stop drinking...forever? You can't really mean forever???(dread indeed). I'm on seven weeks today. Haha! Awesome! I'm loving forever.

I don't mind if you're drinking - I'm just glad you're here
Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thanks for all the encouragement...you have no idea how much i need to hear that it really is possible to quit! my line of work is very physically demanding, im a dancer, and this compulsive drinking in no way coincides with that. its beginning to affect my performance bc i just dont have the physical strength anymore.

ive been drinking heavily for about 2 years now and i used to be able to hold off till a certain 'time' of the day to start drinking. but slowly that 'time' has been pushed further and further up and now its almost impossible to make it to rehearsals, much less performances and i have had to slowly drop students and whole classes all together.

after saying all this, i still dont know if ican give it up...i am so afraid to face a day sober.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was a weekend drinker, then a daily drinker, then an all-day drinker - so our tolerance does change over time. ("Progressive Disease").

It sounds like it isn't doing anything for you enpointe - you seem miserable because of it. It's not your friend anymore - not fun or enjoyable. Time to try a new way of life. I think you'll be surprised at how much you don't need it. I felt strange for awhile, but today I wonder how I could have ever been so dependent on it. Getting numb and foggy every day isn't living. Glad you are sharing your feelings here - it really helped me decide what to do, knowing others understood.