Notices

Big test next Saturday

Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Sunny!
Enjoy the wedding!
Be Gorgeous!!
And do not go off with a groomsman! No relationships!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

You will do great! You are so strong and positive!!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

haha. I won't be going off with any groomsmen

Thanks aeo. I know I will be fine. I just know how much I have to lose if I slip back into my old destructive ways.

Picked up my dress from the dry cleaners today and really looking forward to it now.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi sunny,
I know these weddings well, there bes a lot of drink flowing and it can be tough, but doable, I done a few last year and my tip for you would be eat eat eat wit a full belly it was not to bad.
The 1st one I went sober I got it really bad when everyone was down in hotel bar mingling and having drinks, I really wanted to sink a few pints it was no joke, so the next I did not get down to hotel to just b4 the food was been severed.
Good luck and have a nice day
Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Question Re:Wedding

You'll do just fine. I try to remember where I came from and where my next drink can lead (potentially) if I’m not careful. Only then will I know how far I've actually come. Treading in the waters of uncertainty is like charting a course in unfamiliar territory, but without a boat. It's not the journey itself we're worried about, but what lies ahead instead. The clarity I need to thwart that potential danger can be found in the same devices we use to navigate our vessels. And in recovery terms that means 'sober ideals'. Basically, I navigate my surroundings today by utilizing the tools of recovery. And so should you. So enjoy yourself, okay. And keep the momentum going by the way. It will only get better from here. We promise.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi guys

Well, i did it. I went to the wedding and did not drink.

The wediing was fantastic and even though I didn't know a lot of people there (and wemt on my own) I didn't feel the need to have a drink to fit in or to relax. I stuck to soda and lime and two non-alco beers (the last one I didn't even finish).

I have hit the four-month mark and don't it feel good

Thanks everyone for your support

Sunny xx
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

I just saw this post today Sunny..... I had NO doubt in you as I started reading it! Congrats on 4 months and the sober wedding!!! Keep staying strong and striving in your sober life IOW "KEEP ON TRUCKIN"
Old 04-29-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stepping View Post
I just saw this post today Sunny..... I had NO doubt in you as I started reading it! Congrats on 4 months and the sober wedding!!! Keep staying strong and striving in your sober life IOW "KEEP ON TRUCKIN"
Thanks stepping

My mindset has changed totally now. It was great waking up in my B&B remembering everything that happened and knowing I can have a good time without drink.

This was a big step for me, also because I didn't know many of them that well.

A few people asked why I didnt drink and for the first time since I quit it, I told the truth - that I had an over-reliance on it particularly since losing my job and I had to cut it out. Felt good to be honest. And as for what they may or may not think, I don't actually care
Old 04-29-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Sunny, I remember when I started out in January and chatting to you in the chatrooms, saw this thread ,and glad you are doing well,
All the best
Billy
x
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 4 months sunny

D
Old 04-29-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yay Sunny! You can do anything you want to do...doesn't it feel good to realize you don't need that crap? So glad you had fun You rock!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
My mindset has changed totally now.
That's it.... it's a mindset thing. Sometimes the anticipation of an event, any event, can create a lot more anxiety in your mind than the even itself. After a while, you learn to go with the flow and as long as you stay true to your commitment to a sober life, you should have no problems. Congrats.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
That's it.... it's a mindset thing. Sometimes the anticipation of an event, any event, can create a lot more anxiety in your mind than the even itself. After a while, you learn to go with the flow and as long as you stay true to your commitment to a sober life, you should have no problems. Congrats.
Yes, that is it - it is all about the mindset. Once you have that, it isn't like you are fighting demons the whole time. Throughout the whole meal, the servers/waiters were going around topping up people's glasses and I was able to say 'no thanks, I don't drink'.

I made a point when I quit of still going to pubs as I live in Ireland and I didn't want to make it taboo. That helped as I didn't feel on edge being around drink - I sat there all Saturday night watching people drinking and felt no inkling to join in.

My life is a million times better sober and nothing is going to make me give that up.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good girl Sunny!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Imagine how amazing you will feel the next day, when you can say to yourself: I went to a wedding and didn't touch a drop of alcohol. Imagine the sense of pride and accomplishment.

Surely the buzz will be much more satisfying than the buzz you get off alcohol.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomdecel View Post
First off, congratulations on the almost 4 months and the fact that you are thinking ahead.

Weddings are "events" while sobriety is a "way of life". What helps me is to do a lot of visualization. Dial in the affair in your mind. I see these "events" as very minute lapses of time (say 4 hours), while sobriety is a continuum of infinite time. See yourself at the end of the 4 hours going home, totally sober, laughing, enjoying yourself with a clear head instead of being one of those "trashed" on the floor.

I've been there many times, and it does get a lot easier the more you feed positive happy images to your mind. I have to attend three formal weddings out of town this year. The last one, my niece's is on my 60th birthday in November. All the family will be there and no doubt make a big fuss about that, but there is no way am I going to let an "event", even if it last an entire weekend, derail my commitment to a lifetime of sobriety.

Good luck, enjoy yourself, and seek the company of the ones who will be standing sober at the end of the affair. You can always find some in every crowd.
This visualization technique sounds great. Is there a way to bookmark specific posts?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by thesun View Post
Is there a way to bookmark specific posts?
Not to change the subject but to answer your question. When I started out on this journey, I created a notebook using a word processor. Copy and paste the posts, quotes or images you like. I still go back to it from time to time and read them. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunandrain View Post
Imagine how amazing you will feel the next day, when you can say to yourself: I went to a wedding and didn't touch a drop of alcohol. Imagine the sense of pride and accomplishment.

Surely the buzz will be much more satisfying than the buzz you get off alcohol.
Hey, the wedding has happened and I did feel that

I woke up in my bed and was able to recall all the fun I had, no shame or anything to be cringing over!!!

I cannot press the point enough how much I LOVE my sober life and thank you to everyone that has followed me so far on my journey.

I have also worked out a way I can get a loan at the nd of year so I can afford to go back to college and do my counselling degree.

My life has never been so in control. I just love it

Sunny xxx
Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
Hi guys

Well, i did it. I went to the wedding and did not drink.

x
Was just reading your thread and wanted to congratulate you on going to your friends wedding and not drinking. I found your words inspiring.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vantrina View Post
Was just reading your thread and wanted to congratulate you on going to your friends wedding and not drinking. I found your words inspiring.
Thank you!!!

I got chatting to a friend of mine yesterday who used to be a big drinker but also knocked it on the head and has turned her life around. She is training for a marathon.

She said to me, 'I realise now drinking is for losers. I want to do things with my life, not just sit around in a pub drinking and talking about it'.

It really struck a chord with me because since quitting 4 months ago my life has totally changed and I am now doing things with my life - forging a new career and happy to do it knowing it will mean a lot of hard work and financially I will struggle.

I see that when drinking, all I did was talk about what I wanted to do, but I never did anything about it.