Notices

Drinking Urges - Getting through them

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whatevername View Post
For me it may sound weird but its anything that takes care and a long time to prepare.

The reasoning behind this is
a. I spend less time focusing on lame thoughts and more time focussing on the task at hand.
b. I learn something new and become a better cook
c. A feeling of accomplishment at "the finished product"

...even if it is only grating cheddar into my macaroni and cheese, adding a few spices and a whack cooked bacon
This is what I did and am about to do again. Plus you get a great meal out of it, and a sense of accomplishment. Only thing is if you use cooking shows to learn alot of time they suggest wines that go with it and this can be a trigger. So careful on that.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Originally Posted by winslynn View Post
I was and still am a gym rat for the last 30 years.It doesn't keep you from drinking.
To be perfectly honest, I know that it doesn't totally keep you from drinking but its been helping me lately (the more I want to quit for good). I used to burn an extra 500 calories on the elliptical just so that I could drink a bottle of wine a night and keep the calorie intake balanced, or I'd eat less so I could drink more. If I go on a full binge, there is no way I'm making it to the gym though.

I read on another post that someone has a calendar and each night they fill it in with a colour. Green = no drink, Yellow = drink, red = drugs. The more greens you see, the more you want to keep it up? I dont know if it works but anything is worth a try at this point.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I know this is no longer PC but back in my day lighting up a cigarette got me through many an urge. Of course you could smoke anywhere and everywhere back them. It's something you just need to practice. They will eventually fade away.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Go to bed, take a nap, lay down. My first week I posted on here about how tired I was. I shut my office door and laid on the floor I was so bad. On the way home I pulled over and napped in my car. I'd eat a tv dinner then crawl into bed. It was the only way. I was so freaking tired.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SOBERINNEPA View Post
I will, again, risk ridicule by expressing my affection for Klondike bars.
I grew up where Klondike Bars originated. Dynomite! Also, Ben & Jerries "Cherry Garcia", and non-comercial "lemon ice" (in various flavors). For a liquid treat - seltzer flavored with a touch of mandrin orange.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
Im not really hungry... but should I try to force feed myself?
M
Sorry, I know this is a serious thread but that just totally cracked me up!

I don't know about certain foods to help, but I know that having a little something to eat or drink does help. And way to go on making that list!

I don't know about you, but most of the time I have to remind myself that I've hit the jackpot with sobriety. Now, instead of having only one thing on which to rely for any problem/mood/moment in my life, I have countless, endless things I can do. It's funny, but I have to remind myself that I can literally do anything (except drink) to work through the present situation. Remembering that opens the door back up.

Happy Saturday!
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I chew on ice, I know that sounds weird but, for me it works. That and Naltrexone.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Re:Drinking Urges - Getting through them

I’ve been in similar straits myself “FF”, same as you. And the only thing that seems to quiet that senseless chatter is a good “AA” meeting instead. There are other sober alternatives as well, including forums like this one. So don’t hesitate to ask. I know how unpleasant those feelings are “FF” and they do seem to subside somehow, but only if we get through them, okay. Surviving the surge, so to say, may seem difficult at first, but the benefits are so many, believe me they are. So take it all in stride and never cave in to that desire. It’s certainly do-able though -this sobriety thing I mean, especially from a sober perspective. So remain calm and talk yourself through it, okay. We’re here to listen, we promise.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me, an hour at the gym (or a lengthy run) quashes any alcohol cravings whatsoever.

Yesterday though, I was flipping through a local magazine, and I came across an ad for a sports bar with a picture of a beautiful, foamy beer in it. So while at the grocery store a little later, I picked up a six-pack of non-alcoholic Clausthaler. Considering that I was homebrewer and real beer snob in my old life, it wasn't the greatest. But since I wasn't chasing a buzz any longer, one was able to satisfy my craving for that bitter taste and foamy texture.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I crave sugar, too. When I was 8 months sober before, I was definitely craving sugar a LOT more than usual for the first few weeks, and although I'm only on Day 2 right now, I'm having the same experience this go-round. Whatever, right now as far as I'm concerned, anything non-alcoholic is fine. I'll worry later on about the health/weight aspect.