Notices

Going to quit drinking for a while

Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to quit drinking for a while

Hello all I'm new here. I'm 21 years old and I got addicted to alcohol really fast. I am not a super bad drinker although i've noticed that lately i've been drinking a lot more. I guess I can blame the drinking on my family problems ( parents are heavy drinkers and smokers) as well as they always fight and get very verbally violent. Mom asks me for smokes and drinks, and when I don't give them to her or she doesn't have them she takes it out on me. It takes a toll on my mental health and I want to rid the habit of drinking for a while, until I can control myself while drinking. I drive drunk and that is very bad, I worry about injuring my liver #1, but #2 I don't want to get a DUI or worse crash while drunk.

My main goal is to quit smoking cigarettes because I am addicted to those as well, but drinking goes hand in hand with my smoking so I think it's smart if I give up on both of them until I can, like i said...control myself.

Tomorrow is my start date. I hope my story was a good read cause it's how i'm feeling in my heart and I need some support and venting space.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

Do you have a plan in mind about how to accomplish this new lifestyle?
I had to make drastic changes ...and that required local support for me.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well my plan is to stick to it, and don't give in once things get tough. My girlfriend is very supportive and knows how much I want to quit smoking/drinking and she will be there every step of the way, i've also noticed that I smoke or drink more when i'm bored or off work for the day
Old 04-18-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
You should be aware that once you've been addicted, even if you stop temporarily, you can get hooked real fast if you start again. Although not necessarily an overnight thing, re-addiction occurs much faster than the initial addiction. If you've stopped smoking for a while and then had "just one" cigarette, you probably know what I mean. Usually, if you have good reason to stop temporarily, you probably have good reason to stop altogether.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome joshherman. I can relate with the family thing. My mum would kill me if she saw this but her drinking had a huge effect on me, sat in bed with a mug of wine and drinking by herself every night. It was something secretive and intriguing for me. Plus all the massive parties etc...I grew up in pubs. In the end though we have to take responsibility for our own actions. You're way ahead of most people by realising this isn't healthy and making an active decision to quit.

I was an addict from an early age too but it was brushed off as experimenting or whatever. I knew though. My reaction was a bit too keen. If you know too it would be worth considering quitting for good. Why prolong something you're going to have to do anyway. I knew at your age and wish I'd just stopped then, it doesn't get any better.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Josh - so glad to have you with us. Very wise of you to realize alcohol is causing big problems in your life. When I was 21 I could never have made that decision - and I went on for decades trying to control it. I ended up in big trouble as a much older person - my life was in ruins when I found SR. This never has to happen to you.

Keep reading & posting. We want to help you through this important time. Be proud of yourself for reaching out & making this change.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Welcome. I haven't met an alcoholic yet who could stop for a while and magically become a 1 or 2 drink a day drinker. I mean, who wants just 1 or 2 drinks? Not me! It's all or nothing. Either way, it's a healthy decision for now, for you.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Really wish I could have made this decision at 21 (stop forever), would have been amazing. Good luck to you.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

You can do this!! Keep us informed, okay?

Glad you are here!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Welcome to the community. Please stick around. I know you just said you want to quit for a while but how about for good? I know it sounds insane, possibly even outrageous. But if you're driving drunk now, think about what you may do a year or so down the road?

Good luck in your new journey friend, please stick around here.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Make a decision to go to an AA meeting if you are really serious or this will just go on and on.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
So it goes

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
Welcome. I haven't met an alcoholic yet who could stop for a while and magically become a 1 or 2 drink a day drinker. I mean, who wants just 1 or 2 drinks? Not me! It's all or nothing.
Josherman, the people on here are wise. Whilst it is nice to think you can put a pause in your drinking, you will find that if you restart, you will drink faster and more.
My 2 pence, is stop for good, dont consider it as for good though, just for today, but say the same tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow