Notices

Waking up in ER is bad :(

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waking up in ER is bad :(

I am usually a heavy drinker and have lots of food with drink. Up until now I've been thinking this was not a problem as I can handle it. I'm also a binge drinker and don't drink daily.
For the past week or so I hadn't been sleeping and eating properly due to deadlines. Friend's wedding, I had too much to drink, blacked out, to my shock ended up in ER with an IV. I had fallen down and hit my head somewhere on the road after creating a scene at the party and leaving alone. Somebody thankfully called the ambulance. The nurse said I had super high level of alcohol in my blood, released me at 3 am when I sobered up. I still have headaches post-concussion.
I'm living alone(family in another country), and really hoping to quit drinking completely. Not drinking daily is not the problem but when there is a party or anything and I get a sip of alcohol I drink a lot.
Hoping to sober up for life this time around.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. I am on day 13 and this website has been my saviour. It sounds as if the ER incident shocked you. I believe, and have done for many years, that life is better sober. And for me that means not taking that first drink. Its sounds as if you are the same. I am sorry things are like this for you. Please get some hlep. Professional and or AA. And use this site. I does really help. Read the other threads. You will find a lot of sense and things you can understand. Good luck. :day6
Old 04-14-2012, 01:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Ooh. That doesnt sound good. Been in some similar situations in the past. You can definitely get and stay sober. I put in a lot of reading on this site the past few months..the wisdom here has been invaluable to me. Welcome and hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. Alot of alcoholics didnt drink everyday- count me in. Its that i could no longer drink safely. Lets hope the ER trip was your bottoming out point. Now the question is how will you change your life if you give up alcohol. I had to make a recover plan that included 12 step meetings....it worked for me. I wish you the best.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yikes. But look at it this way. . .this was a wake-up call. A signal that something has to change. At least you weren't in the ICU for days. Not to sound trite, but it could have been so much worse.

Use this experience as the jump start you need to make a better life. You deserve it, and can completely do it.

I hope you are feeling better after the fall, and realize you mighth have to forego parties in the short term till you get to a better place.

Blessings.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR alcoquit

yeah waking up in the ER isn't fun...I'm glad to see you've joined us and are committing to changes

You'll find a lot of support here - are you looking for face to face support too?

D
Old 04-14-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sleeping or eating properly when you have lots of deadlines clearly seems like something you should avoid, given the consequences you recently experienced from that.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Argonaut

It's still time to turn things around, but you have stay committed and make a serious plan to stay sober.

For me even the ER wasn't enough. In May last year I ended up in the ER after a day of excessive drinking. The doctors said I had almost a deadly concentration of alcohol in my blood. After being released from the hospital one day later, guess what I did?

Got home and opened a wine bottle.

Only after accepting that I will never drink again, made it possible for me to quit in October.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You don't have to be a daily drinker to have a serious alcohol problem as others have shared. I didn't drink every day, but when I did drink chaos and oblivion followed. Sometimes waking up in the hospital can help shock you- it did for me (I am on Day Four). You have done a really brave thing by deciding to try and live sober. This website is amazing, and if you have access to AA maybe see what you think about that? You can go to a meeting and see how things go, it isn't for everyone, but I have known people that have really excellent lives from it. I just wish I would have dedicated more time to it before my last dreadful relapse.

You have the opportunity to really turn things around before more and more bad things happen to you. Alcohol will cost you more than money- believe me. Don't be afraid to reach out for as much support as you need- everyone who has ever had a problem with alcohol, I have found, and decided to go into recovery is always so happy to help.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your insightful comment. I think I'm psychologically shocked. I'd never imagined that alcohol was this much of a threat to my life. I always thought I could handle it, but yes it is time I change things. Today is the sixth day I've been sober. But since I only used to drink in a week or two and sometimes daily during summer, it's a bit different. I started out by saying "NO" to a beer party today, and I hope to keep on doing that. It seems that for me, more than the depressing times the happy times are the ones where I might lose. I'm also seeking other interests because up until now the only enjoyment I got was from alcohol.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Waking up in the ER & not remembering things is the worst. Sadly, it became a routine for me when I would go on a 2-3 day bender. I would always be a pain in the neck for them by trying to sneak out with an IV attached, demanding food, certain drugs ect... It got to the point where this one hospital would just shoot me up with some powerful anti-psychotic like drug & I would be out for 6-8 hrs and then wake up dazed. Waking up in the ER even, one time though, is a good sign you maybe an alcoholic.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh man Oh man Oh man... I know exactly where you are coming from. I woke up in the ER three times with super high blood alcohol content levels. If 0.40BAC is the lethal limit, then I shouldn't be alive today. Maybe I was a cat in another life and didn't spend all my lives.
Anyway, sounds like you need something to help you quit drinking for good. Seems that it is something different for everyone. There are lots of programs out there to look into. Whatever works for you. You may have to look around for a while before you find what is a perfect fit for you. AA might be a good place to start, but maybe not your final destination. On my one year sobriety date my Big Book is making a final trip to the fire pit.
I wish you the best and hope you get better.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been drinking for 10 years and now after hitting this bottom I realize I'm an alcoholic. Hopefully, I can sober up and never touch alcohol again. If I take a sip again I know I'll have to live through this again .
Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Admitting you are an alcoholic is the first real step to recovery. Well done my brave friend Please though- don't do it alone. Find someone- friends, doctor, AA- to share it with. Because it is hard, but the gifts that come in sobreity are amazing. I am not talking from personal experiences as I am new in (5 days)...but I have seen the miracles in AA. 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years sober...and so happy.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You're lucky to still be alive so make the most of it!! It's time and you've made the right choice to quit. SR has been a great help to me and it can to you too. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

@katrinka
The threat to my life was the sad thing. I keep remembering this thing when the nurse said were you trying to kill yourself, and I replied "NO, I love my life" still inebriated. I still have a long way to go though, it's just the start. Hopefully, I can go all the way and I hope this psychological scar caused by this incident fades.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome....

I've been useing AA and this site for years to enhance my sobriety.
Glad you are here and I do hope you will stay committed to a sober future.