Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Time for me to finally stop being so mean to myself!!!!

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all.
First post in a long time...been reading all your helpful posts daily for a year.I cant tell you all how grateful I am for your stories and experiences
But, I need to get some support now...for real this time.
I never think I deserve help & I need to stop thinking that! I do deserve it and Im ready.
Ive been alcoholic since the day I drank my first drink...That was 22 years ago. Going on 40 here soon and FINALLY realizing I have to know Im worth more than this life Ive been leading.
Its time for me to get out of my sadness thats in my head.
Now....where to begin??
Old 04-12-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a 12 step program that will help you find exactly what you are searching for. If your interested, let us know! We can explain exactly where and how to begin.

If not, there are other places to start and others here can tell you about them in detail.

Um, you know, things do work out, you are as deserving as anyone here and anywhere who have found themselves beat down by this. You don't have to be sad.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What are your resources? Medical doctor, therapist, IEP, rehab clinic...I used them all.

Congratulations on making a wise choice.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How to begin? You don't drink today. You stop. That's it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Bella,
A program worked for me. I was afraid of AA so I went to a counseling group after I decided I needed help. The group got me going in the right direction, and that direction was into AA. I sat in the parking lot for my first meeting. I didn't learn a ton that night (Except how the radio in my car really worked). I guess I wanted to see who came in and out. Guess what, they were just like me. the next day i actually went into the meeting, and was very much accepted. I like it now, and the steps and the meetings really work for me.

Good luck!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont have a plan of support other than this amazing forum , but i am going to sit down tonight and come up with one. Ive been to AA many times, but I get strangely shy which is so not me!!!. Im an extrovert thru n thru. Maybe I will find a different meeting. The one I attended a few times, I felt uncomfortable, which i am sure was just in my head.
God! I am so ready! I need this NOW!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am indeed my own worst enemy.

All the best Bella.

Bob R
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

To be on the safe side....why not have an honest talk with your doctor
about how best to de tox from alcohol?

Please check out this link

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome back....
Old 04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome, Bella!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I have failed myself tonight. Figured i shouldnt just quit cold turkey for fear of having complications without speaking to a doctor. What should i do if i dont have a doctor? Tell a total stranger about my drinking? I dont like meds,.so if i was given any to get through withdrawals, i wouldnt take them.
I just dont want to drink anymore..but so scared to quit at the same time. Ive tapered off before without issues, but fear i used up that luck
Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hey Bella,
it's not a failure, just a stepping stone. The most natural thing in the world for an alcoholic to do is drink, so don't beat yourself up.
Today is a new day and there is plenty of hope for you. As AA seems to be your chosen path, maybe you can call the hotline and arrange to meet one of the members for a face to face talk. You won't have to talk much unless you want to, the AA member will tell you about themselves and the disease and how they recovered, especially how they got through the first few days. Talking with you in person, they will also be able suggest any other (medical) assistance you may require and will probably be able to put you in touch with an understanding doctor. Then, with your new friend, you will be able to go to a meeting and get started on your recovery.
All this assumes that your local Fellowship still does 12 step calls. Ours does and it is the most rewarding work I do. So don't go thinking you'll be a bother. Quite the opposite, you'll be a blessing.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bella

If you're concerned about detox, I think it really is best to see a Dr, preferably one who knows about alcoholism & addiction.

Lots of places in the US have free or low cost clinics, if you don't have, or can't afford, a Dr of your own

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

D