Notices

Alcohol stopped working??!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=DoinThis;3362325]
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
That isn't everyone's experience. If you went from sober to "flat out drunk" instantaneously that's because you made a conscious decision to drink something like Cisco or 5 Jager bombs at once. You wanted to black out.

Absolutely not true! And I've never met or heard of anyone that wanted to or actually enjoyed Blacking out???
I've heard numerous times in meetings "I drank to black out".

However, I see your in Australia so it is possible that "I drank to black out" is another meme that's passed around in the rooms of American meetings which no one really believes. I've also heard people say that they were miserable from the first drink and never enjoyed their drinking. If that were really true they would have switched immediately to another substance, compulsive gambling, overeating, etc--something that they enjoyed. We drank because it was pleasurable and solved our needs at the beginning and then it turned on us later, not because it made us miserable from the first drink.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
That isn't everyone's experience.
But it is the poster's experience. Why are you so quick to minimize the experience of many here simply because they don't line up with your own beliefs?

For my own part, alcohol most certainly did stop working the day I moved out of enjoying my drunks and into deep, depressive hangovers and verbal abuse of others while drinking.

I started out a happy drunk and ended up a mean and bitter one. Alcohol was no longer making me "happy." I was self-medicating my own internal misery with it, and for that purpose it ceased to be effective.

Not sure what other sort of strict interpretation of the phrase "stopped working" is suitable to you, but this one works for me.