Notices

Alcohol stopped working??!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

For awhile, booze let me see the world through rose-tinted glasses. Everything was better. That crappy day at work didn't seem so bad after I got home and had a few beers. Gradually, that sense of well-being that drinking brought became harder to achieve. The last time I drank, I only experienced being 'drunk' with no euphoria.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what your beef is jojoba.

I can't remember anything in the BB that would contradict the notion that alcohol stops working - in fact I remember a few stories in the back that seem to me to support the idea - but you've obviously read it more thoroughly and more recently than I have.

You've got a whole thread full of experience here jojoba - if you want to ignore it, or put it all down to the pernicious and pervasive influence of slogans, that's fine by me

D
Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
Jojoba, The Big Book was a book written in 1939. This is 2012, science can explain why drugs and alcohol fail to produce the same effects over time. Dopamine can not be replenished as quickly as it gets used up hence the feel good feelings can't be reproduced ad infinitum. Give the brain enough time to recover and yes the effect would come back. It will always end the same tho so why bother.
This makes a lot of sense to me. I feel like I've definitely gone through the cycle of depleting my brain's fun chemicals, drinking miserably nonetheless, and then, after a forced hiatus from alcohol, being able to get a good buzz once again. Until, I deplete my brain once again.

One of the problems I have with AA is the lack of emphasis on updated science, neuroscience in particular. Looking at my alcoholism scientifically has been a big help for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Alcohol stopped working for me when I ceased to get any joy or fun out of drinking. Alcohol stopped working for me when it became a full-time job and chore. Alcohol stopped working for me when I could no longer stand the person I had become because my world revolved drinking and when I could drink. Alcohol stopped working for me when I could no longer look at myself in the mirror because I was so filled with guilt, shame, embarassement, and remorse. Alcohol stopped working for me when I realized my life was in constant chaos and unmanageable because I put drinking at the top of priority list. Alcohol stopped working for me because I am an alcoholic.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
I'm not asking for a dissertation, just two sentences, maybe?
The following story did NOT originate in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous:

"A man of thirty was doing a great deal of spree drinking. He was very nervous in the morning after these bouts and quieted himself with more liquor. He was ambitious to succeed in business, but saw that he would get nowhere if he drank at all. Once he started, he had no control whatever. He made up his mind that until he had been successful in business and had retired, he would not touch another drop. An exceptional man, he remained bone dry for twenty-five years and retired at the age of fifty-five, after a successful and happy business career. Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has - that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men. Out came his carpet slippers and a bottle. In two months he was in a hospital, puzzled and humiliated. He tried to regulate his drinking for a while, making several trips to the hospital meantime. Then, gathering all his forces, he attempted to stop altogether and found he could not. Every means of solving his problem which money could buy was at his disposal. Every attempt failed. Though a robust man at retirement, he went to pieces quickly and was dead within four years."

- The Common Sense of Drinking
By Richard R. Peabody

Published in 1934, this 191-page volume was written by a recovered
alcoholic who had utilized the program of the Emmanuel Movement in
Boston.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by olympia View Post
This makes a lot of sense to me. I feel like I've definitely gone through the cycle of depleting my brain's fun chemicals, drinking miserably nonetheless, and then, after a forced hiatus from alcohol, being able to get a good buzz once again. Until, I deplete my brain once again.

One of the problems I have with AA is the lack of emphasis on updated science, neuroscience in particular. Looking at my alcoholism scientifically has been a big help for me.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...teresting.html
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by AndreTT View Post
What do people mean when they say 'alcohol stopped working'?
I'm going to approach this question with the understanding that "working" can mean the desired effects I expected when drinking for fun.

Oh yes, drinking to have some fun with friends and family helped ease my social inhibitions and relaxed me as well at one time.

Then there came a time where my "drinking for fun" caused tension in social situations as I would get all batty on the drink. Being around me drunk was no fun for others, eventually causing me to shunned from social situations.

So within this specific context, "alcohol stopped working" for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

"That isn't everyone's experience. If you went from sober to "flat out drunk" instantaneously that's because you made a conscious decision to drink something like Cisco or 5 Jager bombs at once. You wanted to black out."

Jojoba, how do you know what we drank? Or how much? Were you looking through my windows?

"In fact, if someone hasn't drank for a year (or whatever long term amount of time) and they drink again, they typically don't pick up where they left off, unless they choose to. In fact it takes at least a few months or even years to get back into the throes of alcoholism if you've been away from it for some time."

What is your proof of this? The majority of the stories I've heard from relapsers contradict this. And I can tell you that after having 6 months of sobriety and then relapsing, I was right back to drinking as much as I had before and in a shorter period of time (a week). After another week, I was drinking twice as much as I had before I'd quit the previous time. Why? BECAUSE IT WASN'T WORKING. Was it my "choice?" Maybe. But I was out of control in a very short period and from the desperate place where I sat at the time, I can tell you that it was hardly a choice.

"NOT that it's a good idea to go back out. But spreading misinformation and lies via slogans in meetings doesn't help the people who do. Those people won't come back because they see that one thing that was told to them was lies, so they assume it was all BS, and chuck the whole thing. They never come back to the program."

I seriously doubt that what you just said is true for most people. And it definitely isn't very encouraging for people either. You're telling them that their alcoholic experience, and the experiences that other alcoholics share honestly with each other (particularly in AA) are all BS and have no validity. I'm sure the people in my home group would LOVE to hear you say this. It would be quite a lively meeting, I'm sure.

Whatever you think of the "lies" people tell from their hearts in AA, I will just share this perspective with you. My sponsor has been an active and well respected member of AA for over 25 years. She has shared with me that there have certainly been times when people have shared stuff that made her want to roll her eyes ... I've shared with her some of the things I've heard in my group and asked her what she thought. What she said to me was, "It doesn't matter what I think ... if it is relevant to YOU, and if it makes sense to YOU and is helpful to YOU, and it helps YOU stay sober, take it and use it. If it doesn't make sense or doesn't feel right, or if you feel it's a lot of BS that isn't helpful to you at all, leave it."

I think she'd probably say the same to you.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by desertsong View Post
"The person who is saying it doesn't even really believe it themselves most of the time."

I completely disagree. I know what my experience was, and I wouldn't presume to know what someone else's experience is either, whether in AA or not. I can only speak for myself when I say that alcohol most certainly DID stop "working" for me. And I can also tell you that after several relapses over the past couple of years, going back to it after a period of sobriety did NOT cause it to "work" again. I simply went from being straight-sober to flat-out drunk. No "happy place," no "warm fuzzies," just stupid drunk. And it was worse each time I went back out. It may be partly related to tolerance but I personally think there is more to it than that. JMO.

I just worked out how to quote from people's posts. I cut and paste b4....oops.
Totally agree desert song. It was the Same for me. Drinking drinking drinking looking for the buzz, next minute I'm dizzy drunk. No fun, no buzz....boo
Old 04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have some sympathy with Jojoba on the slogans. Fear based slogans leave me cold, Fear played a part in getting me sober for sure, but has no role in keeping me sober. Some of the posts seem to be at crossed purposes. Many have said that the alcohol stopped having the "desired" effect, which was true for me. Jojoba says alcohol will still get you drunk (intoxocated or poisoned) which is also true. Whether there would be a rapid deterioration or not if someone relapses depends on how closely they fit the description of the real alcoholic. The phenomenon of craving also described as an allergy is present for the real alcoholic and seems to occur only in this class of drinker.

Once the alcoholic takes a drink, it sets off an uncontrollable craving and a spree follows. While our 12 steps take away the obsession of the mind, bringing back sanity and providing that defense against the first drink, the allergy has not been cured and only requires alcohol to reactivate it.

Since the BB was written I believe medical science has been able to confirm that this condition exists, and explain it in some detail. Apparently there is a physiological difference in how real alcoholics metabolise alcohol, something to do with the liver, pancreas and acetates. I'm no scientist and I don't really care about the details, except to the extent that it confirms I can never drink alcohol safely.

In terms of what can happen to a real alcoholic who drinks again, I learnt a lot from my friend Zac. He had 10 years up when he drank. He rang me and as I drove to see him I thought he would be OK. All that sober time and AA experience would have to count for something right? I couldn't have been more wrong. All that experience was gone like a computer that has had its hard disc wiped. The phenomenon of craving was totally in control. As far as alcohol was concered, Zac had completely lost all power of choice. I and all the others that tried to help were totally powerless. I'd love to go and tell him "Zac, it's all in your mind, what we told you about the phenomenon of craving, what you heard about how tough it is when you go back out, well that was all a crock" But I can't, he was dead within a year.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Even when I thought alcohol was working it wasn't working... well, it was in a sense... working against me that is.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
~sb

Scientific evidence does exist in regard to how the brain and receptors experience alcoholism, sobriety, then a relapse. The receptors are seeking the level that they used to have. It's a reason many people don't return after a relapse--their body can't handle what the receptors attempt to obtain. I don't have links, but the evidence exists.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````````````

May 6-May 16, 2011, I started with my usual 6 pack, didn't get the desired effect, bought more, had 12, barely got what the effect, got another 6 pack, drank 2 more; basically I passed out, even though my brain didn't "get" the desired effect, that comfortable, calm, everything is okay feeling.

Woke up, finished what was left, bought more, drank 6, still no effect of what I was seeking. bought more. I proceeded to continue drinking until May 13. Woke up with a horrendous hangover. Meanwhile, I supplemented my drinking with my weed from May 6-May 13. I didn't even get high. I just felt dizzy, not high, not drunk, I just felt more or less out of it. Ran out of the weed. Had a 2 day hangover, sat on the couch, felt ill, didn't do anything but watch tv, then sleep.

At this point, I knew it was just time to stop and to stay stopped. The alcohol I consumed didn't work anymore. I had maintained a 6 pack a night habit, it "worked" for a long time (over 10 years with just the beer and weed nightly). I got to that happy place, that comfort zone, the place where I was okay in my own skin and okay with the world as I was living in it. Alcohol worked for me for a long time.

Went to buy cigarettes and I had a choice, beer store or non-beer store? Called a friend and debated over the phone, ended up at the beer store. Went home. Opened a beer. It sat until it was almost warm. Then I finally drank it and proceeded to drink the other 5. I still didn't get to that comfortable place. Too late for more. Went to sleep.

Alcohol stopped working for me. (I rarely drank liquor anymore because when I did, I seriously had personality changes that even I noticed and no one, including myself, would ever believe the things that did happen. Things were damaged, people were physically injured....)

May 16, 2011, the date of my last drink. On May 16, 2012, I will hopefully celebrate one year of sobriety. It's a leap year. To top it off, on the morning of June 16, 2011, the morning after I had been guided through the 12 steps in a 2 day period, I woke with a spiritual awakening as a result of working the steps and I haven't had a craving to drink, I've lost my irrational fears, I had less social phobias that have since basically vanished. I've changed and continue to change.....

This was my experience.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When depression....caused directly by alcohol....made me into a
sodden woman I detested...that is when I began my recovery.

I'm so darn glad alcohol quit giving me what I wanted...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by olympia View Post

That will be because AA offers a spiritual means of recovery from alcoholism through the 12 steps. Self knowledge was totally ineffective for us. I believe there are other methods of recovery that are more science based. Although I have never actually met anyone who has recovered by these means, there are folk on this site who have. AA does not claim to have a monopoly on the treatment of alcoholism, just a simple 12 step programme that seems to work when all other avenues have been exhausted.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It is a spiritual program.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
The following story did NOT originate in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous:

"A man of thirty was doing a great deal of spree drinking. He was very nervous in the morning after these bouts and quieted himself with more liquor. He was ambitious to succeed in business, but saw that he would get nowhere if he drank at all. Once he started, he had no control whatever. He made up his mind that until he had been successful in business and had retired, he would not touch another drop. An exceptional man, he remained bone dry for twenty-five years and retired at the age of fifty-five, after a successful and happy business career. Then he fell victim to a belief which practically every alcoholic has - that his long period of sobriety and self-discipline had qualified him to drink as other men. Out came his carpet slippers and a bottle. In two months he was in a hospital, puzzled and humiliated. He tried to regulate his drinking for a while, making several trips to the hospital meantime. Then, gathering all his forces, he attempted to stop altogether and found he could not. Every means of solving his problem which money could buy was at his disposal. Every attempt failed. Though a robust man at retirement, he went to pieces quickly and was dead within four years."

- The Common Sense of Drinking
By Richard R. Peabody

Published in 1934, this 191-page volume was written by a recovered
alcoholic who had utilized the program of the Emmanuel Movement in
Boston.

The phenomenon of picking up where you left off as expressed in the above that Boleo posted also seems to be very real. I once had almost a year off of everything, had a few drinks at a bar and the obsession came back full bore. I was almost immediately back to a half gallon of vodka or whiskey a day. The only thing that changed was the withdrawal/detox periods were getting worse and worse.

After having been off it that long the feel good feelings did come back for a while but any efforts to "chase" those feelings proved to be futile. In fact over the decades the ability to recapture those feelings seemed to fade, each episode they were of shorter duration and almost impossible to keep going.

What once had been a very pleasurable experience had morphed into a brain dissolving pit of misery and deep despair. Someone else on this forum described her detox experience as entering "The Haunted House", I thought that was a very fitting description. Each trip to the haunted house is more horrible than the last and death eventually starts to seem like a viable option to get out of that place.

So do you "pick up where you left off", yes very often you do. It is not a myth.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

BTSO...

I have to agree with you. While I did not pick up alcohol again, I did pick up cigarettes again. I was smoking just as much as I did (almost two packs a day) within a week or two of starting up again, and it went on for years after.

Good news is I quit again and will never make that mistake again.

And I certainly won't test the theory with booze - ever.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
That isn't everyone's experience. If you went from sober to "flat out drunk" instantaneously that's because you made a conscious decision to drink something like Cisco or 5 Jager bombs at once. You wanted to black out.

Unfortunately the program influences people to believe that this is what happens when someone goes back out, with slogans like "your disease is doing push ups" and "you pick up where you left off". It becomes a dangerous self-fulfilling prophecy for some people.

Where is the proof for these slogans? There isn't any. It's just lore repeated at meetings.

In fact, if someone hasn't drank for a year (or whatever long term amount of time) and they drink again, they typically don't pick up where they left off, unless they choose to. In fact it takes at least a few months or even years to get back into the throes of alcoholism if you've been away from it for some time.

NOT that it's a good idea to go back out. But spreading misinformation and lies via slogans in meetings doesn't help the people who do. Those people won't come back because they see that one thing that was told to them was lies, so they assume it was all BS, and chuck the whole thing. They never come back to the program.

This is the problem with the slogan/cliche/rumor based "AA" that is practiced in the rooms these days.

jojoba,

I really have no idea what you are trying to prove with all your responses, but I can say that you are not helping anyone if that is what you are attempting to do.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jojoba;3360696]That isn't everyone's experience. If you went from sober to "flat out drunk" instantaneously that's because you made a conscious decision to drink something like Cisco or 5 Jager bombs at once. You wanted to black out.

Absolutely not true! And I've never met or heard of anyone that wanted to or actually enjoyed Blacking out???
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

A little late to the thread (as per usual!), but I can definitely identify with the statement that alcohol "stopped working for me" at a certain point. There came a time when the negative aspects of drinking began to outweigh the perceived "benefits". My health was taking a beating, in that it would take longer for me to recover after a binge. I was blacking out more & more. I was resorting to isolating myself at home so that friends and family didn't have to see the extent of my drinking.

In a very real sense, the reasons I drank in the first place began to turn against me. When it reached an intolerable level for me, I knew I had to stop. I'd wrung absolutely ANY fun out of drinking, and knew I'd never experience any more joy from it if I continued down that path.