Notices

Lied At Job Interview----

Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Elphaba, I could not work a regular job because it would get in the way of drinking. Believe me, I tried getting jobs that would allow me to drink like I wanted but it wasn't acceptable in the workplace. My conscience is clear about my lie because the real world still stigmatizes addiction today. I sometimes think that many who use SR and post have not been the "bottom of the barrel" type alcoholics. I'm pretty sure I drank/drugged more than 95% of the people who post. As a result, I have much more wreckage to deal with. And yes that does make me special.
I had a ton of wreckage from my past to deal with.......but I dealt with each issue one at a time.
When I felt over whelmed I asked for help.
My wreckage took a couple of years to clear up!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Look, I wouldn't disclose my past either, but I think your lie departed from simply protecting your anonymity and crossed over to being a con. Your right though, I don't know your life circumstances and I shouldn't judge, if you feel justified all the power to you. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
You probably think gay people choose to be gay too then...
A perfect example that some are sicker than others.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Quote:
I drank away five years of my life due to a choice?
- Yes!
Just because it's in the Big Book doesn't necessarily make it true....but p24 would contest that opinion.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
A perfect example that some are sicker than others.
Derp...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK, lets focus back on the topic at hand guys

If you have a personal back and forth dialogue going on thats off topic, I think it's best to confine that to PMs.

Thanks

D
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Anyone read "Les Miserables"? If not, might be worth a trip to the library. I'm far less concerned with what one reveals about their past than what they plan to do with their future.

Now if Inspector Javert ever arrests some poor slob on charges of being the dude who ran over Justfor1, it will be time to 'fess up...
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My first job in recovery was one I got first and then filled out the application. I was rigorously honest on it. My boss read it, tore it up, and gave another one to fill out leaving off my misdeeds. That was a lesson learned for me. Lucky for me all my crimes were.committed as a juvinile, but other unplanned trips were non of their business.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

I've been in my new job for a month and last week I came out to my boss about my alcoholism. In my experience, being straight about it is a good thing, because it ALWAYS comes out .

It went well, my boss was cool about it. Personally I'm glad I did it .
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

The truth must always be tempered with common sense. A world where no one ever lied would be like that movie liar, liar with Jim Carrey. If everyone really said what was on their minds we'd run out of psych wards trying to figure out who was insane and who was just too honest.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Derp...
I have been called much worse by much better.

Now back on topic. I did choose to ruin my life, I did choose to drink and drug, I did choose to do all those terrible things I did and blame it on drinking and drugging. When I chose to change my life I had to force myself into rigorous honesty. Brutal honesty in early sobriety actually helped me. I had to learn a new way of thinking. Just sayin...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Brutal honesty
Good for you stugotz. I have to agree.

I’d rather not get a job than lie and get one. Walking through life with your head held high and your shoulders unburdened from the baggage of lies is one of the top pleasures in life.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
Good for you stugotz. I have to agree.

I’d rather not get a job than lie and get one. Walking through life with your head held high and your shoulders unburdened from the baggage of lies is one of the top pleasures in life.
l will walk with my head a little lower and be glad l can pay my bills.
To each his own...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by penny74 View Post
l will walk with my head a little lower and be glad l can pay my bills.
To each his own...
I agree. I would take the advise & be completely honest at interviews if those people giving me the advise give me some money each week.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I have over 5 years in recovery and am STILL dealing with consequences of my addiction. I'm 2 semesters from getting a degree in another area of healthcare...I used to be an RN but addiction ruined that. Luckily, my license only shows "lapsed".

I've been told to be honest, I've been told that if I'm honest I'll never get a job. I am 50 years old, living back at home. Stepmom is an active A, dad has become a major enabler and my 18-year-old niece is living here, pregnant and knows NOTHING about consequences because my dad and stepmom raised her.

I don't like lying, it goes against every fiber of my being. However, if being honest is going to keep me from getting a job? I have a very good story of why I quit nursing. I live in a toxic environment, I've been bustin my a$$ for years to get back on my feet, but I can't.

I have excellent references in the last 5 years, I will NOT leave this house without my cats (long story, but it's a living amend) and I know me....at some point, I will tell the truth...AFTER I have proven that I'm a good employee.

Trust me, I've stressed over "tell the truth, tell a lie" for a long time. I still don't know the answer, but I do know I have to get out of the toxic environment I live in and I will do what it takes. I will find a place that accepts me with all my faults in time, but for now? I have a ton of people who know my past and are supportive, including instructors and the director of the program I will get my degree in it.

Do I like it? Hell no. Am I okay with getting a job and later being truthful? Yep, but only if it comes up. I've prayed about it, talked with others in recovery, and I will do whatever I have to do to get my life back on track. FWIW, I DID have family deaths, illnesses and needed to help my dad with his business, so it's not a total lie, but it is stretching the truth. I don't like it, but I "like" living in dysfunction junction worse.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy