Notices

Strategies for safely quitting

Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strategies for safely quitting

Hi there,

My first post here and effectively my first step in a long journey ahead of me. I've been heavily drinking my entire adult life. Its all began oddly enough work related entertaining clients or drinks with co-workers etc. Never thought I had a problem because it was mostly "work related".

But now I find myself drinking a bottle'ish of vodka a night. I've tried quitting a few times but the side effects always outweigh the short-term problems of drinking so I start back up.

But its come time I stop drinking, the health concerns and everything else associated with the habit its too much. Does anyone have any advice on safely detoxing?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by danj View Post
Hi there,

My first post here and effectively my first step in a long journey ahead of me. I've been heavily drinking my entire adult life. Its all began oddly enough work related entertaining clients or drinks with co-workers etc. Never thought I had a problem because it was mostly "work related".

But now I find myself drinking a bottle'ish of vodka a night. I've tried quitting a few times but the side effects always outweigh the short-term problems of drinking so I start back up.

But its come time I stop drinking, the health concerns and everything else associated with the habit its too much. Does anyone have any advice on safely detoxing?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! That's very helpful.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Danj - welcome

I recommend you see a Dr, especially if you've been drinking hard and regularly for a while - detox can be problematic for some of us.

It's best to be safe I think

D
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by danj View Post
Hi there,

Not sure what's in your area........we have detox centres, do you?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you found us...Welcome...

Please do have an honest talk with your doctor...be both sober and safe.