Notices

how big are my cojones?

Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Glad it went well for you, I'm far away from that stage yet but good to see you had the nuts to back up the talk
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Haha! This is the big one. On the way to the pub with old friends and bigtime drinkin buddies. This is insane!! Am not scared or anxious like the last time, these are good good friends, more like I can't believe the fricken NERVE of me! I am goin to square my StillSleepin shoulders, look em straightin the eye and use the word recovery.

Hell yeah!

Eeek!
I don't socialize with old drinking buddies.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well done.

You're doing the only right think by being honest - before I was successful quitting i tried many times by using the 'on antibiotics' - 'stomach complaint' - 'just don't fancy one today' excuses which work for the odd occasion but never last long.

When I quit I faced laughter from some, serious concern from others and one or two who never spoke to me ever again... but honesty is the only policy. Burn your bridges, make sure there is every obstacle possible going to be standing in your path should (i mean when) you are tempted.

Good luck. and Well done.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
Well done.

You're doing the only right think by being honest - before I was successful quitting i tried many times by using the 'on antibiotics' - 'stomach complaint' - 'just don't fancy one today' excuses which work for the odd occasion but never last long.

When I quit I faced laughter from some, serious concern from others and one or two who never spoke to me ever again... but honesty is the only policy. Burn your bridges, make sure there is every obstacle possible going to be standing in your path should (i mean when) you are tempted.

Good luck. and Well done.
Thanks dude, I really appreciate that. I had proper butterflies telling them, and there was some bewilderment. Then they got onto taking the p:ss out of my cup of tea and everything was normal again.

There was a really fun part of the evening where we all realised that they were getting fuddled and I was still really sharp (well, you know. as sharp as I get) and ... it was just cool, you know? Good friends, having fun. Coming clean is definitely the way forward.

Not sure about tellin my family yet though... (chicken...heh)

Did you really have friends who didn't want to speak to you again?

xx
Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
So it goes

Cool SS, I havent been in a bar buddy situation, have a couple on the horizon which I am putting off, but one is a really good friend who wont even bother to take the p1ss.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
Not sure about tellin my family yet though... (chicken...heh)

Did you really have friends who didn't want to speak to you again?

xx
They weren't real friends - just fellow drinkers and the landlord of the Royal Oak who lost a considerable chunk of his wet trade when I stopped going in there.

My real friends have been great - I've had nothing but support from most. Now I'm coming up for 9 years without a drink it's become pretty normal and nobody comments about it any more - they just accept I don't drink.

It took me a while to tell my family. My mother was convinced I was dying of something terrible and actually bought me a bottle of beer as a present the following christmas.

It still comes to me most weeks or day though that I'm so lucky that I don't have to drink any more - it's a great feeling.

Wish you all the best on your journey - it's a big thing to do but it's like having a new life and a new head - well worth a struggle to achieve.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How's it going stillsleeping? Hope you're hanging on in there.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
How's it going stillsleeping? Hope you're hanging on in there.
Hey dude! Yeah, I'm good thanks for askin Kicking my AV in the teeth and eating lots of chocolate hehe. Turned down a BBQ today cos it wasn't a good day to be sober around beer, you know? I enjoyed turning it down. It felt powerful.

How about you?

xxx
Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes, pretty ok thanks - was away all last week with the family at Centre Parcs up near Penrith. Had a great time - ate too much but apart from that just relaxing and having a good time away from work and all the usual stress.

Back now to fixing the boiler and all the other domestic joy before getting back to work on Monday

Had a count up this afternoon - it’s been 3210 days since I had a drink. Even after all that time I can clearly remember quitting though. I was pretty rough for quite a few months - and had pretty awful dreams waking up in a panic that I’d been drinking - or waking up feeling exactly like I was hung over and it taking me ages to be certain I hadn’t been drinking.

Over time it got easier but was a long time before I was able to touch a wine or beer bottle or use wine in cooking or pour someone else a glass.

Have a great weekend.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry - meant to say. What I found really useful was keeping a full diary and making sure I had something planned every single day - just something small, but every day doing something that I couldn’t have done when I was drinking.

And I kept a diary too - just a note of how I felt so i could look back and be sure things were getting better!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Turned down a BBQ today cos it wasn't a good day to be sober around beer, you know?
Way to read the lay of the land, SS. Eventually I'm sure any day will be fine. At this point I feel the same way about alcohol as I do about pâté — ain't my thing, but I don't feel a need to steer clear of places serving it. In the early daze tho I paid close attention to my spidey sense when it started tingling...

PS: ˇLos cojones son muy grande!
Old 04-13-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Way to read the lay of the land, SS. Eventually I'm sure any day will be fine. At this point I feel the same way about alcohol as I do about pâté — ain't my thing, but I don't feel a need to steer clear of places serving it. In the early daze tho I paid close attention to my spidey sense when it started tingling...

PS: ˇLos cojones son muy grande!
Hey sweetie, you're up! It's 05:52 here and now I'm hungry for pate...with a pickle. Mmmm. Thanks for that -- breakfast plan!

Thanks for your PM. I'm waiting for a bit of light, the drunks to abandon the beach, then a run then the Big S. Ooer! Yeah, I'd love another opinion if you're cool...

Hehe...big balls
xx
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hiya, SS. Almost 11 p.m. here. Need to turn in.... Just finally read about your bike fall and your hubby's tragic choice of skintight jeans. You two were made for each other -- hilarious! (I don't think he can blame it all on the '80s tho; I was there and the decade had an ample supply of Levi's...)

I'll look forward to reading it.... Have a good one!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good going on turning the BBQ down, I am dreading the summer days (all 4 of them) ha ha.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I live in the UK too and can relate to the fact that almost everything seems to revolve around drinking. (Let he who has been to a student night without drinking double spirits for a Ł1 cast the first stone )

However, being around it doesn't have to be the headache you perceive it to be; it all depends on your perspective. If you head over to the Secular Connections forum there are options there that don't require you avoid bars, restaurants, etc. The thought of a day at a vineyard in France tasting wine just sounds boring, not frightening.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, it's ace to hear from you all. Kanamit, I will I can't handle the thought of a long hard slog for the rest of my life. But I'm building new habits, day by day. I am all about the change
Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

yeah i heard you had a reet set of danglies onya!! lol
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johnny3times View Post
yeah i heard you had a reet set of danglies onya!! lol
Dude, you can probably see them from there
Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Glad you’re still kicking SS.

Have a steady week.