Notices

newbie in need of support

Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

newbie in need of support

ok my story im woman of 39 and have drank most of my adult life, going out as a teenager on the weekend, but didnt drink in the week, then when i met my kids dad i hardly drank for about 5 years, he was violent and wouldnt let me go out with my friends, i left him when i was 25, i drank occassionally for the next few years. my heavy drinking started when my kids went to school and i went back to work id have a glass to unwind at night this turned into every night and a then a bottle most nights, i then met my husband who liked a drink and we used to enjoy going out at the weekend and drinking during the week, this has been like it for the last 10 years ive drunk several cans of strong beer and then the wine, not every night but most of them, i did quit drinking for 9 months last year as i fell pregnant, all my blood tests during pregnancy were fine and i didnt crave alcohol, i also told myself id cut down once the baby was here, unfortunatly that hasnt happened i do have a few days off a week and only drink beer now no wine, iam at the stage where im petrified ive done my liver loads of damage and ill end up dead, im having an alcohol free week this week which will hopefully carry on for a few weeks, im just stuck in a rut and dont know what to do or where to turn, im also on tablets for anxiety and when i have a panic attack the drink helps .

sorry for long post xx
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Suzzi,

Something in your mind has to change, the idea of not drinking sounds great until we have been sober a few days weeks etc…

I think a decision has to be made deep inside that says “I’m ready”, then really dig deep and make that promise to yourself that you are done drinking forever, never to drink again, no matter what.

It’s not the easiest thing you will ever do, but it may be the most important…

Keep reading and posting,
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzzi View Post
ok my story im woman of 39 and have drank most of my adult life, going out as a teenager on the weekend, but didnt drink in the week, then when i met my kids dad i hardly drank for about 5 years, he was violent and wouldnt let me go out with my friends, i left him when i was 25, i drank occassionally for the next few years. my heavy drinking started when my kids went to school and i went back to work id have a glass to unwind at night this turned into every night and a then a bottle most nights, i then met my husband who liked a drink and we used to enjoy going out at the weekend and drinking during the week, this has been like it for the last 10 years ive drunk several cans of strong beer and then the wine, not every night but most of them, i did quit drinking for 9 months last year as i fell pregnant, all my blood tests during pregnancy were fine and i didnt crave alcohol, i also told myself id cut down once the baby was here, unfortunatly that hasnt happened i do have a few days off a week and only drink beer now no wine, iam at the stage where im petrified ive done my liver loads of damage and ill end up dead, im having an alcohol free week this week which will hopefully carry on for a few weeks, im just stuck in a rut and dont know what to do or where to turn, im also on tablets for anxiety and when i have a panic attack the drink helps .

sorry for long post xx
Actually, I think the drink hurts in the long run .....
I found sobriety and the treatment for panic attacks and anxiety in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 04-10-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Suzzi your story sounds somewhat similar to mine. I empathize with your situation.

I don't know much, you probably have more sobriety than me at this point but I am seeing a glimmer of hope. My hope is that you can to.

I hope you find the help that you need. There are people way more qualified than I that can help lead the way.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As some will say looks like your forming a plan.
You already know it makes sense to try and stop for as long as you can .I waited too long but you almost certainly haven't .
Good luck.
John.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us and I hope that you will make a decision to stop drinking.

Drinking on and off as you mention, would cause obsessive thoughts for me. I'd always be thinking about when I could next drink, how much, etc. Honestly, stopping for good was easier and I felt freed.

I also used alcohol to self-medicate anxiety/depression/insomnia. It was a huge mistake and made things to much worse. There are healthy ways to deal with anxiety and there are tons of books with constructive ideas on how to manage anxiety and panic.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzzi View Post
im just stuck in a rut and dont know what to do or where to turn, im also on tablets for anxiety and when i have a panic attack the drink helps .
SR got me out of my rut so glad you're here Suzzi

I never used to have panic attacks so I have never had an experience of drinking helping them, but I do have experience of drinking causing them, daily, hourly... I haven't had more than a couple since getting sober a month and a bit ago

I hope you find the help you need x
Old 04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Many of us are winning over alcohol...and Yes..you can too.