Notices

Mid to Long Term Health Question

Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mid to Long Term Health Question

Hi, first post here!

Been sober since December 27th, 2011

Is there a source somewhere that tells you what to expect from a health point of view in the mid term - months after quitting?

I read alot from google about say, vitamin deficiencies like B vitamins WHILE you're drinking, but there isnt much on what to expect or what to supplement with during recovery.

Can the vitamin deficiencies last months after quitting?

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You must see a doctor and have a complete physical.Many drinkers don't want to do this from fears they will be told to stop drinking or discover a condition.We can't help you here with your question.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome

I think theres too many individual factors to really answer that one, even if we could l2000...

I know it's a little daunting, but why not just bite the bullet and get a physical?

D
Old 04-07-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks,

Dee74:
I've had a physical since quitting. The doctor said some of my vitamins and minerals could remain deficient for "some months". I didn't think to ask him how many at the time.

winslynn:
I'm not asking for medical advice here, but more specifically, a book, website, video or something that indicates what to expect in the mid-term recovery. I'm not looking for what's wrong with me in specific - I don't think there is anything wrong with me, I'm just looking for possible areas of supplementation that I might be missing / needing.

The mid-term tending to your body is something that so far I have found lacking - at least in the research I've done.

Thanks again
Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Theres a book called 'Under The Influence', it has a hypoglycemic diet section in the back that could help you with nutritional therapy.

The book is a really good read too.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It took 3 years of sobriety until my liver enzymes were in the normal range again.For what that is worth.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did follow the info in "Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham
with good results. Amazon usually carries it very inexpensively.

Welcome...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

If you want to know what is going with your body you may want to consider also having a blood analysis done. This checks for plaque, undigested proteins/carbohydrates, parasites, several variables regarding your RBC (not just the "count"), etc...etc... Look up a holistic practitioner in your area. Don't just rely on one opinion (from medical doctors). Listen to many opinions and find the common strand. Medical doctors are not trained to teach patients how to heal themselves without the use of drugs - there's no money in us healing ourselves. Medical doctors have their place but they their word is not always final (or even correct). Medical doctors treat the symptoms, not the cause (they don't treat what CAUSED the cancer, what CAUSED the tumor - not everything is "genetic", most of todays health issues are environmental).

I am a firm believer that health begins in the gut. And as former drinkers we have certainly done our share of gut sabotage! Total body cleanses are amazing for the system as well. In today's diet we take in far too much processed foods, chemicals, toxins, pesticides, sugars - and this is an enemy to the body as much as alcohol. Quitting alcohol is a great start for completely wellness but there is so much more that needs to be done to get your body working at this optimal and that involves HUGE overhauls of the way people live and eat.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check out

The Recovery Book by Al J Mooney, M.D. it's a GREAT resource, I highly recommend it.

It's about $10 in paperback on Amazon.com. One of the things it talks about is the different phases of recovery.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by l2000 View Post
Hi, first post here!

Been sober since December 27th, 2011

Is there a source somewhere that tells you what to expect from a health point of view in the mid term - months after quitting?

I read alot from google about say, vitamin deficiencies like B vitamins WHILE you're drinking, but there isnt much on what to expect or what to supplement with during recovery.

Can the vitamin deficiencies last months after quitting?

Thanks!

your asking a question that should be directed to a doctor.......finding out about any deficiency requires blood work
Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Of course your doctor is the one to talk with...

I will however say that for a long time, even before I became an alcoholic and still to this day (sober since Dec. 6 2011) I take a daily multi-vitamin.

It wasn't so much to do with drinking but to fill the gaps because as a teenager, college student while working full time, now father who still works full time my busy life means I don't always eat the healthiest of meals so I felt it helped with some level of general health.

If you've done the blood work with your doctor and some vitamin levels came back deficient but your doctor didn't seem to worry then I wouldn't either. However, if you're like me and still worry then simply ask him what to do, he'll likely recommend a simple over the counter, one a day mens multi-vitamin.