Notices

Alternatives to AA

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternatives to AA

Hello all..

Sober 110 days and I've been going to AA since 12/27/2011......I'm experiencing AA burnout..... I feel like I'm done with it....any suggestions?....
Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you looked into AVRT? I've found it beneficial. For me, a combination of several ideas and programs has worked best. Check out that AVRT, it's a pretty fascinating approach.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have not...what does avrt stand for?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I've been sober since 2008 and have several times, been burned out. I would say it's not too uncommon. I just mostly muddled through it, cut back on meetings a little (for a short time), called my sponsor more often and then my "passion" for it came back. Actually, I started missing my meetings. Weird.

Do look into other options such as AVRT though - I would hate to see you just stop doing anything for your recovery.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Beanie - Here's a link to the most recent AVRT thread. There are other options besides AVRT as well.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Also, you might delve into what specifically you're feeling burned out on.

Do you have a sponsor?
Are you working the steps?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There came a time when I just felt comfortable in my routine with attending meetings. It's not a big effort to go, I have made friends at meetings and I have to say, for the most part, I enjoy them.

I have been doing step work.

Burnout? Hmm, if I am living the program, so to speak, the opposite of burnout happens. I feel better, more optimistic, happier. If I am feeling burnt out, often the answer, for me, is to go back and do some more work, not less... Maybe discuss it with my sponsor or close support group...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do have a sponsor but I don't think the right one. And no, I'm not working the steps.....not sure if this is the route I want to take anymore...I'm seeing a therapist weekly, she's been great..
Old 04-06-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beanie1961 View Post
I do have a sponsor but I don't think the right one. And no, I'm not working the steps.....not sure if this is the route I want to take anymore...I'm seeing a therapist weekly, she's been great..
And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not for everyone and I made the same decision and found alternatives. Just make sure you get the support you need. Doing it alone is incredibly difficult and the success rate is pretty low. SR has been awesome for me, with a little AVRT and building my relationships with a couple good sober friends of mine. I also do a lot of meditating. Anyway, good luck and stay strong!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Well, just remember AA isn't just meetings. The program of AA IS working the steps. That's the only sure way to get the rewards out of it.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Check out kudzu. Kudzu claims far more amazing results than the amazing results that other paths claim. Because of that they obviously merit at least a tryout.

Pattern finger tapping. By tapping each finger in order you'll find peace and relief from tension. Also reported is that drinking is incredibly cut by half, or completely eliminated by those who apply this technique using both hands. Unfortunately it's also viewed by some not familiar with the curative benefits of this method as a symptom of brain damage from drinking, so it's a therapeutic best done out of the public eye.

Simple self-hypnosis. Best done alone in a darkened room. Hold a mirror up and in a soothing voice give yourself pertinent commands while looking deeply into your eyes, being especially careful not to tell yourself to do anything you might not do under normal circumstances.

Some 'deep body cleansing techniques' are advocated by some who I suspect are probably that way inclined already, but those are best found on your own. Wouldn't suggest downloading anything from those sites, and clearing your browser record after is wise.

The list of possibilities grows each month. You'll never run out of alternatives to AA as long as there's still a dollar to be made from those who are still willing and able to pay for the alcoholic's treatments.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Edited: nevermind.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ok
Old 04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I think it’s interesting that you say you are “experiencing AA burnout” but that you don’t think you have the right sponsor and you are not working the program (steps). Seems to me a bit like saying “I’m burned out on hamburgers” and oh ya, I have been preparing them without buns or meat”. Where’s the beef?

Be careful because AVRT may have you talking to yourself.

Whatever you do, whatever program or method you try, give it your best shot. Alcoholism has a unique way of warping our thinking.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I keep coming back to this thread for some reason.

I think awuh has a point -- you haven't really given AA shot. You've just been going to some meetings. That's not the program .... the steps are where it's at.

Are you willing to get a sponsor and work the steps? If not, you're really not giving it a fair shot.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beanie1961 View Post
Hello all..

Sober 110 days and I've been going to AA since 12/27/2011......I'm experiencing AA burnout..... I feel like I'm done with it....any suggestions?....
If you are burned out then just stay at home and read the BB, and maybe go to a couple of meetings a month. If you can, find someone who hosts private meetings at their home oriented around BB study.

It's a treatment myth that you have to be at meetings 24/7. In some parts of the world there are no meetings at all and people manage recover with only a Big Book, and maybe the internet (if they have a PC). The people you see posturing and goofing off during the meetings are doing that because they're bored. Someone told them they had to be at these meetings everyday, but they aren't hearing anything new after awhile, so they try to amuse themselves and act disruptive and drive other people out of the meetings in the process, and attract more people who goof off, and drive out more people who are serious. And around it goes.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Or, keep looking at alternatives and decide for yourself what works for you. Folks seem to be presuming you have no real insight into AA because you didn't have the experience they did or follow the steps they did. But they are not you.

I went to AA a few times and realized it wasn't for me, and THAT'S OK. Don't let anyone tell you different. One thing I've learned about AA is that though it's amazing for some, it also turns some into quasi recruitment officers who will not take "no thanks" for an answer.

Again, nothing wrong with AA, but don't let folks thump you over the head with it until you submit. I know they mean well, but it can cause some serious anxiety if you let it...
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Going to AA and not working the steps is like going to an amusement park but not riding the rides.

Why not do a search?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shaun00 View Post
And what is AA burnout ?? ..
I understand completely what the OP is saying. High gas prices to drive to meeting + wildly inconsistent and unpredictable meeting quality + inconsiderate attendees coming in late and cutting up = burnout
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beanie

It's an important question, & not only to you...but I think your question might be better placed in the open forum so I'm moving it there

D