Notices

Bad "Hangover" This Morning

Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad "Hangover" This Morning

jeez...This morning when I woke up...I had a bad Headache, Cotton mouth, and that feeling of waking up at 6:30 when my alarm was set for 9am. I seem to remember having to get up and pee really badly at about 2am. I instantly regretted lastnight. I couldn't even remember what I had drank, or how much. I was so upset.

As I got up and pieced things together, I realized just exactly what I had drank last night. I had drank 4-5 cups of coffee yesterday, 2 cups of earl grey, and several diet cokes. I was very relieved that I hadn't drank any alcohol, but I was just very dehydrated from the caffeine. It may be time to cut that back a little bit :P

Just one of those little reminders of what I never want to go back to.

Now, on to day 42.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good work! I find that I drink way too much caffeine when trying to quit, just want to get a buzz of some kind I suppose.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Random Guy

haha yeah about day 3 or 4 I had one of those coffee hangovers not drinking enough water and sipping on coffee all day did it to me.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scared the Crap out of me!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Try water with a slice or two of orange, lemon, lime, or strawberries in it. The citrus and filtered water (yeah, go buy one of those filtered water things!) tastes really good.

Limit that caffeine! I've found that too much caffeine drains my energy.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We are always doing something to an extreme .......
Old 04-06-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

when are you starting med school? you are going to need your focus and your rest.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, that's a lot of caffeine. As long as you keep it to a decent level, caffeinated drinks will actually hydrate you as well as water. See for yourself: Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not? - MayoClinic.com

Still, drinking plenty of water is always a good idea. And not drinking booze ensures you get 100% of your daily recommended allowance of freedom.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am drinking green tea. Limited caffiene, loads of antioxidents, and a good detoxer. My husband thinks it tastes awful. Maybe a tad of honey if you try it and don't like it at first blush.

And at least this "hangover" is loads better than what it could have been
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A good reminder of what you walked away from, I suppose. Glad you didn't drink any alcohol!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was so glad once I had recollected my night before, and that I didn't have any alcohol at at all.

Since then, I have definitely been trying to limit my caffeine. I'm surely dependent on my morning coffee, but I don't necessarily need the afternoon coffee, and the coffee at the meeting. Though, as I learned in undergrad while drinking copious amounts of caffeine that it typically doesn't keep me up at night. I can have some after dinner at 7:30 and be fine for bed by 11.

As far as medical school, I am applying this cycle to both Osteopathic and Allopathic Schools (I haven't applied yet). I'm going to retake the MCAT and see how it goes. My name may end up having to be RunnerDO2be :P

Thanks everyone for your responses!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know some very successful DOs that are cardiologists. best of luck on the MCATs! i do a lot of coffee every AM (surgery is an early bunch), but zero after 12noon. or i would never sleep.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Being reminded why you never want to go back to drinking is great. Sorry about the circumstances that caused the reminder.

I cant say for sure if I ever had a coffee, tea and soda pop hangover. My typical hangover experience were the feel of near death variety.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Fandy! I'm looking into ER or CC/Pulm, but who knows at this point. I should be shadowing a DO Pulmonologist pretty soon.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my own doc. is a pulmonary internist. Mr. XFandy #2 is an interventional cardiologist. Me? i recommend vascular surgery (endo-vascular is taking over all the cardiologist patients)