Notices

Beware the good times...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Beware the good times...

My life is on a bit of an up at the moment. I have the perfect job, and the anxiety I alluded to in another thread is something I've recently learned to conquer. My job is going really well - but I musn't allow myself to become complacent.

I've just spent an evening at my Sponsor's and I wouldn't let him congratulate me. Simply because I need to keep my feet on the ground, keep my head out of the clouds - and accept life for what it is. And to keep that attitude when things are good.

I have to be GRATEFUL every day. If I allow myself just a smidge of ego, that leads to pride... etc etc - the mortal enemy of the alcoholic. The self will that comes organic with this tripped me up last year, and I probably don't deserve this amazing second chance that God has sent my way.

I will endeavour to not believe my own hype, appreciate that I am just a cog in the machine and be grateful every day.

So to you I say this: Beware the good times. I know we're urged to be careful when times are hard - but it's imperitive to treat the good times with that exact same caution. Perhaps a touch more. We got to take each day at a time and keep marching.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ego.........pride......... will also prevent you from " forgiving " yourself!

There is nothing wrong with learning to accept a compliment.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
My life is on a bit of an up at the moment. I have the perfect job, and the anxiety I alluded to in another thread is something I've recently learned to conquer. My job is going really well - but I musn't allow myself to become complacent.

I've just spent an evening at my Sponsor's and I wouldn't let him congratulate me. Simply because I need to keep my feet on the ground, keep my head out of the clouds - and accept life for what it is. And to keep that attitude when things are good.

I have to be GRATEFUL every day. If I allow myself just a smidge of ego, that leads to pride... etc etc - the mortal enemy of the alcoholic. The self will that comes organic with this tripped me up last year, and I probably don't deserve this amazing second chance that God has sent my way.

I will endeavour to not believe my own hype, appreciate that I am just a cog in the machine and be grateful every day.

So to you I say this: Beware the good times. I know we're urged to be careful when times are hard - but it's imperitive to treat the good times with that exact same caution. Perhaps a touch more. We got to take each day at a time and keep marching.
If God can forgive you?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"An old Chinese parable tells of a poor man who lives with his teenage son. Their one possession is a horse, and they need the horse to ride to market, to pull their cart, to do the plowing-and the horse runs away. So everyone says, "Oh, what bad luck!"
And the man says, "We値l see, we値l see."
Well, the horse winds up leading a whole pack of wild horses back to their farm. And everyone says, "What good luck!"
He says, "We値l, we'll see."
Then the son rides one of the horses and tries to tame it, and he falls and shatters his leg. Everyone says, "Oh no! What bad luck."
And the man says, "We'll see, we値l see."
Before long an officer comes around from the court, conscripting young boys to fight an impossible war. And of course, all the boys in the neighborhood go except for the son, and they're all killed, and all his neighbors say, "Oh what good fortune you have!" And it goes on and on.
No matter what happens, good or bad. The man says, "We'll see, we値l see."
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

While I think it's great to be vigilant aware and cautious - I'm not sure there's a need to beat ourselves with birch sticks either

Balance is as important as gratitude or humility in my book.
Recovery should be enjoyed not endured, IMO

D
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
While I think it's great to be vigilant aware and cautious - I'm not sure there's a need to beat ourselves with birch sticks either

D
Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Tripped up in good times and bad. Now i know. The only advice I would change is little feat in preference to steeley Dan !
Old 04-05-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Props to Dee, my thoughts as well when I read the OP. Yes, you should always remain wary of the dangers that could present a relapse but why not pat yourself on the back for a job well done?

We all need some appreciation for our own efforts on occasion. Feeling good about yourself is healthy.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The feeling of hoplessness and helplessness doesnt have to carry on in sobriety. Enjoy the good times. Just sayin...
Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand you completely Stu.

Remember that they insist that we
have fun in recovery. Ive even prayed
that I could be funny and make others
laugh. Just to be light hearted.

21 yrs strong with feet planted solid
on the ground wearing my recovery
suit of armour each day to ward off
temptations that lurk around each corner.

Remembering to be kind, considerate,
helpful, polite, true and HONEST in all
our affairs.

Life can be and is for me Happy Joyous Free.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

I've learned to give my ego much more room to exist then just a smidgen. Actually, I've learned to just let my ego out of its mental and emotional cage and to then deal with it responsibly and effectively in real time thru out my daily experiences and to not deny my humanity as I enjoy my ongoing happy and successful life without alcohol.

Alcoholism beat me down stupid, and I don't need or want sobriety to do any thing of the sort, so I take every good experience and success to heart and with a mindfulness of deep gratitude and thankfulness.

I'm no where near getting drunk from just letting my ego be what ever it is, you know? And I'm also successful beyond my wildest dreams too while not fearing my ego whatsoever.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Thanks for reminding us all of that Stu.