Notices

Work anxiety

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Work anxiety

A common enemy of most alcoholics - an unusual amount of stress/anxiety surrounding our jobs - even in recovery.

Went to a meeting sunday night and the subject kind of came onto this. I don't know about you - but I get absolutely CRIPPLED with this. I've been in my new job almost a month and every day I went in convinced I was going to get the sack even though I couldn't think of any offence I committed that would warrant this action.

Anyway, at the meeting I found out a lot of my AA friends get this and was taught a good coping mechanism.

A fellow member aked me if I had been told off or anything so far. I said no. He asked me if I was making it in on time everyday. Answer was yes. Am I getting on with my co-workers and is the job I'm employed for getting done everyday? The answer was yes. He told me that all this was EVIDENCE, and PROOF that there is actually no problem. And if the fear (F.E.A.R: False Evidence Appearing Real) should creep back in - I should just remember this simple fact. Look at the PROOF.

I've actually felt extraordinarily free since this discussion. Today at work I had a supervision meeting to see how my first month went - and I WASN'T nervous about it! The meeting went fine (I actually felt safe enough to disclose my past battle with alcoholism to my employer! It was met with understanding and sympathy). I was told things were going well and they were happy with me.

This proved to me that all my anxiety had been for nothing.

If any of my brothers or sisters out there get work anxiety - I hope you're able to gain something from this - and get a little relief from this crippling part of our malady.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

In my case most of my stressors were because a lot of my answers to those questions were no but I do like your thinking. I tend to over react to things but it is getting better now.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!
I am stealing this (F.E.A.R: False Evidence Appearing Real).
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Originally Posted by thisisme View Post
I am stealing this (F.E.A.R: False Evidence Appearing Real).
LOL! That's an OLD one! :rotfxko
Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Seriously though, this bit of advice has led to a major turning point in my ongoing recovery. I feel God with me today.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome to hear, Stu!!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Just to give you an update on this one, I did actually end up losing the job I was talking about here. At my three month appraisal they decided it wasn't working and told me they were letting me go.

Rather than go through the humiliation of that, I opted to resign instead which they allowed me to do.

The boss of mine who did it, well, I don't think my face fit in the place. It happens. But the HR person in the room was very kind and told me if I needed a reference I could go to her rather than going cap in hand to the boss who just let me go. That meant I never had to have contact with that woman again, which I'm grateful for.

I had a month and bit off work, and then went back to a previous employer for a few months. That wasn't really working either though, and in the end my wife allowed me to quit and be a stay at home Dad/househusband, which is where I'm at now.

I have the BEST life now. The absolute BEST life. I really cannot complain. Really can't. My wife is encouraging me to use the time wisely. She wants me to do a blog where I can talk about my passion: MOVIES!
And to fulfill my dream of writing a screenplay! Also, I'm joining a gym!

So everything worked out for the best in the long run. :bounce