Notices

Day 23

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 23

This is the longest I have gone without any alcohol in almost 2 years. I went a few weeks without liquor and just had a few beers here and there but I haven't had a drop in 23 days.

23 days ago I went to the ER and after a blood test was informed I had a BAC of .33 and after 12 hrs there and 1000ml of fluids through an IV and tons of water it came down to .22 and I was admitted to a detox facility for 7 days and they were the most eye opening 7 days ever. I have detoxed at home twice before and knew this bender I was on (almost a 1L of vodka daily for 3 weeks) it was too risky. Even with medications and supervision, I had hallucinations, confusion, anxiety, insomnia, borderline DT's and according to the Dr. a very close call with alcohol psychosis.

The fog has mostly lifted and I can't believe how quickly I went from a functioning alcoholic to a beaten and battered drunk. I put my family and friends through hell and I'm thankful they have been very supportive. It's so much easier to deal with life with a clear mind...I'm also pleased to say that the thought of drinking has pretty much disappeared. I know my battle is just starting but I'm more than ready to take it head on.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 23 days!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations!

D
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's wonderful! Very happy for you and I hope you're proud. Keep 'er goin'!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I've been there RWJ! I had the same vodka consumption for a while...withdrawal was intense to say the least. At the time, I had no idea what was happening to me, I thought I had the flu. Scared me enough to switch to beer...but took me another 4 years to give the beer up.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

23 days. That really is a wonderful start given where you were. Sounds like you have had a very bad time of it. Fortunately the worst of the detox is over and you must be feeling much better than you have felt in a very long while. Be careful. It’s uncharted territory ahead for you (in terms of even longer total abstinence). The waters ahead can be much more treacherous than they appear. It was my experience (after several bouts of the DTs and some very nasty withdrawals) that the severe physical discomfort experienced was inevitably enough to keep me sober for a while. Inevitably however, some sort of situation would come up and I would be right back where I started. This happens to alcoholics over and over again. This pattern is so common that I feel compelled to point it out. I sincerely hope this is not the case with you. I would strongly suggest that you make friends with some people who have done this before you. People you can talk to face to face. The easiest way to do this is in AA. It’s my experience that smart people learn from their mistakes, but that wise ones learn from the mistakes of others. I hope this is the case with you. Best wishes.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

23 days you are fantastic.