Notices

okay, stop the car, I want out

Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The old priest in the recovery Home used to say "Don't give up just before the miracle happens" (I did that all the time)

Hang in there SS

All the best.

Bob R in the colonies
Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by stillsleeping View Post
How are you supposed to put up with this? How do people put UP with this? If you don't drink, ever, how do you switch the world off? When do you get a break???
What's helping me is learning to change my perception of the world. Being angry, frustrated, sad, or scared really is a choice. Every time I catch myself reacting to situations in a manner that doesn't benefit me, I do my best to settle myself, think of how I'd like to see myself acting, and then do my best to act that way. Even if that's what it is at first - acting - I believe you actually rewire your brain to handle stress better by going through the motions. Sometimes cause & effect work both ways.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
LDT

What Growing said......I'm a BIG believer in the "act as if" philosophy / method. If I'm having a bad moment, or bad day ( like today ), I just try to rewrite the script.

Good or bad, sobriety can be a massive assault on the senses.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks once again all. It's tomorrow here now, I am sober an I'm goin for a run.

SR saved my bacon again xxx
Old 04-03-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well done on getting through it. It's day 30 sober here for me. Stay strong and focused!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Stillsleeping - Just wanted to say I get what you mean. I hope you find some things that work. Hope you find some peace.

If you don't drink, ever, how do you switch the world off? When do you get a break???
Unfortunately, I have been wondering this a lot myself lately.

I don't have a lot of wisdom, or even positive suggestions...just hang in there. I know if I go back to drink, I'll be right back where I was, where I don't want to be. So I carry on for now.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Music has always been my switch off - either listening or playing....a good movie is great too...lately I've discovered the recuperative powers of exercise....

Each of us has to find our own way to deal. My mind used to run at a million miles an hour - it seems to have eased back a little in the years since I got sober - maybe I'm not trying to do as much as I used to?

Life is life - there are good days and bad - some days I'll glide through gracefully, other days I'll slide on my butt...

whatever else I do, I know there's one option that's forever off the table now

D
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good for you, still!!! It's nearly 1:00am here and I've been trying to get to sleep for nearly 2 hrs... feel fine, but can't sleep, so checking in. I'm planning on a good run when I wake up later with my dog, Max.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Holly7 View Post
Well done on getting through it. It's day 30 sober here for me. Stay strong and focused!!!
Thanks and huge well done on 30!! I forgot we quit at the same time. And, go to bed crazy lady! Put down the coffee cup! xx
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think I just hit a sleepy wall. That's good because I have a new day to look forward to!!
Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
I think I just hit a sleepy wall. That's good because I have a new day to look forward to!!

Only just found yours and Dee's posts. I need broadband!!!!

Sleep well Relayer. And Dee, thanks. Exercise is goin to become my world I reckon; it was so beautiful on the beach this morning, no one else runnin but me. Poor BillyPilgrim says it's snowing and windy up in Manchester, but that's what you get for living in flipping Manchester hehe :p
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Morning sleeping. Glad you feeling better. alright for you down there, I;ve got three inches of snow! I am beginning to realise how SR can save my life too. I keep going on to moan and give my woe is me speech but I end up listening and learning, and feeling so much better. It never ceases to amaze me that we come for all 4 corners of the world but talk the exact same language. Hope you enjoyed the run, have a good day.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Holly

D
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RachelNorth View Post
Morning sleeping. Glad you feeling better. alright for you down there, I;ve got three inches of snow! I am beginning to realise how SR can save my life too. I keep going on to moan and give my woe is me speech but I end up listening and learning, and feeling so much better. It never ceases to amaze me that we come for all 4 corners of the world but talk the exact same language. Hope you enjoyed the run, have a good day.

Hi sweetie, thanks so much

Yeah, BillyP said it's snowing like crazy in Manchester too. Bl*ody beautiful down here now heh heh.

And the camraderie here is the main thing that's keeping me clean. I don't feel like a crazy person when I'm posting here.

But don't kid yourself that we're all speaking the same language. Johnny2times is from Geordie...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

you are not alone.i promise i feel the same way as you do.I keep saying to myself this f***ed up feeling will soon pass but it feels like its lasting forever.just dont give up,people before us have overcome this addition and we will too
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
So it goes

Oh we think you are a crazy person still!!!
We put all our best china away when you are posting
Have a good day
x
Old 04-04-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Still- the image of you running on an empty beach put a smile on my face. I would love to be able to do that. Keep on keepin' on. You jumped over a hurdle.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I'm at school with some of my kids, always one of my favourite places to be They think I was crazy for goin for a run at five, I think they're crazy for comin in to school in the holidays for a revision session - I guess we belong together lol.

My dept is going to the pub after school and I'm stuck with them. I am not going to freak out. I'm going to drink a coke and enjoy it (chews fingernail nervously, looks out of the window)

Gotta face this stuff sometime, right?

xx
Old 04-04-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I'm at school with some of my kids, always one of my favourite places to be They think I was crazy for goin for a run at five, I think they're crazy for comin in to school in the holidays for a revision session - I guess we belong together lol.

My dept is going to the pub after school and I'm stuck with them. I am not going to freak out. I'm going to drink a coke and enjoy it (chews fingernail nervously, looks out of the window)

Gotta face this stuff sometime, right?

xx
Say it again right before you get there. . ."I am not going to freak out." You have already proven to yourself that you can handle a lot. A trip to the pub is just a blip in your great day so far. Enjoy that coke (and hopefully NOT with a side of fingernails.) :-)
Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I still like pubs when sober, just not all day! Keep biting your fingernails in between slugs of coke. I'm on edge today as well. Ended a three year relationship recently, it was a drinking relationship, I had to get out. He's coming over today just as friends. I'm not drinking, but he will. I am hoping watching him will help (try find someone in the pub who is blathered), I don't want to be like that anymore. Having said that sometimes that makes me jealous, I don't know, just don't take a drink. I liked what Dee said earlier, one option for dealing with problems and stresses is OFF the table for ever. Have a good day. Keep tuned in. Snow melting now.