Notices

Thoughts on "Intervention"

Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts on "Intervention"

Hello All,

Its monday night and Intervention is coming on A&E in a little while, at least in my area. I was thinking about this show and decided that I have mixed feelings.

Mainly, this show tends to show the extremes of alcoholism and drug addiction, where people are totally out of control.

It never shows the nighttime drinker who blacks out every night, yet is largely functional during the daytime. It never shows the type of alcoholic who doesn't have a family to have very public fights with. It never shows the alcoholic who drinks in secret, yet still has a significant problem. I never saw myself on that show.

I feel like watching this show could encourage the alcoholic on the fence to keep going, because they aren't "as bad" as some of the people on the show.

At the same time, it reminds me of the insanity of the disease and why i don't ever want to go back to that. I just wanted to get everyone else's take on the show for those who watch it(or don't watch it).

Thanks,

Jon
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I've seen the show "Intervention" exactly once. Well, actually, I couldn't get through the whole thing; I was so sickened that I had to leave the room about 3/4 of the way through.

I feel that the show is a terrible exploitation of sick people for commercial gain.

First of all, the people on the show are tricked into participating. They are told that they are involved in filming a documentary about addiction. That's how they get all the footage of them drinking/using, etc.--they lie.

Then they maneuver the unsuspecting person into the intervention, cameras rolling the whole time. The more emotional, the more melodramatic, the better. It's all about ratings, after all. It's about making money for the show's sponsors.

Then the person is invariably sent to the 12 step based rehab affiliated with the program. No evaluation is made of what recovery model would most benefit the person--it's 12 step rehab and that's it. Which, of course, continues to spread the myth that 12 step rehab is somehow better than other types.

Not only that, it spreads the myth that a highly emotional, confrontational intervention is the way to go with an addicted family member. Sure, the CRAFT method has been shown to be as effective or more so, but we never see THAT approach. It's not confrontational, and thus has much less entertainment value.

So what we have is a show that uses vulnerable people to provide entertainment, and the primary interest is not in doing what's right for the addict, it's in doing what makes the most money for the network and the advertisers.

Personally, I think that's wrong.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel like watching this show could encourage the alcoholic on the fence to keep going, because they aren't "as bad" as some of the people on the show.
For this reason, I do not like "drunkalogs" in AA meetings. There will always be somebody worse off out there. I like meetings based in the solution, not the problem.

it spreads the myth that a highly emotional, confrontational intervention is the way to go with an addicted family member. Sure, the CRAFT method has been shown to be as effective or more so, but we never see THAT approach. It's not confrontational, and thus has much less entertainment value.
I also agree 100%. The one intervention I have been involved with was not confrontational at all. And it worked.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've watched the show in the past, and have also noticed that they typically use the "out in the open" addict for the show. But, don't people nominate addicts for the show? Like, these people don't sign up for the show on their own, so in a way they have to be open about their addiction to be chosen for the show. Just a thought as to why we don't see the closeted drunk on the show... I could be way off on this.

I wonder if treatment is used as a bargaining chip to get permission to use the footage of the addicts struggle... that would be horrible.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I watch the show at times. I can identify with the addicts and alcoholics. My sponsor told me when I came to AA to 'identify do not compare' with the speakers. This was very helpful. If someone wants help, and they are ready, then they will get the message. My job is just to share my experience, strenght and hope. I had very good sponsors. It appears the interventions do help some people on the show. Pinetree
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

They show those who will make them money.

I met one of the guys who was on the first show in another online site. He's a really nice guy and is still sober.

They are real people. Some make it and some don't.

Write to the show and tell them your ideas, maybe they'll have actors do the drunks you describe. Or even have your information on there somehow. Be proactive!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Now I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it but I love the show. I actually pray for the people when it's over. They might be tricked into an intervention but they also get expensive rehab and therapy for free.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I have an antenna for tv right now, so I am out of the Intervention and Mad Men, et al loop for a while longer, but yeah, I liked that show, although some scenes I had to change the channel!

I'd like to see what was suggested on that show, though, the idea of what RunnerMD2be said:

It never shows the nighttime drinker who blacks out every night, yet is largely functional during the daytime. It never shows the type of alcoholic who doesn't have a family to have very public fights with. It never shows the alcoholic who drinks in secret, yet still has a significant problem. I never saw myself on that show.

(The problem is, these alkies are seen on tv shows and movies. Intervention just shows those alkies further down the progressive road to full blown alcoholism at it's most horrendous stage)

Hey, runner, you aren't far from ShaneW and I. Lots of those alkies you describe exist in this area!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One thing to realize is they do a TON of editing to only show you the real crazy and out of control times. They don't show them functioning or getting things done like other "functioning alcoholics". I think that if many of us cut right to our weekend blackout nights, and only had that part shown on T.V., everyone would be watching at home saying "I'm not that bad!"
Old 04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i agree with Nirvana1 about how they never show functioning alcohalics and them getting stuff done.this show doesnt show the stuggle that person goes thru tring to get help on their own with trail and error because they are forced into an intervention..i like the concept of the family wanting to give an intervention but the person has to want it as well
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was a prime example of how watching that show can potentially hurt you. That being said, it was no ones fault but my own for my drinking.

I would watch the show every Monday, sometime while drinking, constantly thinkning to myself "im gonna stop if I ever get like that" I was just as bad as the people on TV, I just didnt make MY problem public knowledge until I was ready to do so.

I was once watching the show with some buddies and they kept telling me that I was never like any of the people they saw. The hard part to explain to someone that doesnt have an issue is, that just because I might be able to hold my booze or maybe play off the effects, i was indeed killing myself.

That being said....

I have been sober since January 11th or maybe it was the 15th of 2011 and it is the best decision I have ever made.

BBF2
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really like the show and have seen every episode. There are even a few select episodes I have on my I-Pad. One being Lawernce were the guy refused help and later died of his alcoholism. The show constantly reminds me of where I will end up if I pick up another drink. Even though it has been over a year I can forget real quickly. I can see how some people would not like it and I respect that too.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try watching it from the family of the addicts perspective.

Heartbreaking, really - especially the children.

I look at my own family tree, my own alcoholism, at my brother's untimely alcoholic death at the age of 34 after having grown up in an alcoholic home, my other brother's paranoid schizophrenia, and wonder if things could have or would have been different if just one of my parents said - no more!

Not their fault I am alcoholic, but I often wonder what would have happened if one of those big bad twelve step programs intervened in their lives.

Whatever - coulda, woulda, shoulda....but one thing that is clear from that show - we certainly don't operate in vaccuums. Even if you can't relate to the alcoholic subject, I hope you can hear the small ones and see the impact on the family. That is NOT made up.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I watch it occassionally. I think anything that helps people realise that they or someone they care about has a problem is a good thing. When everyone cries in the intervention, so do I! I have to watch it with a box of tissues handy.

It's tv so it's going to focus on the dramatic moments and edit things out of context to get ratings.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm a faithful watcher..... I think it's educational. What I love the most about it is seeing the transformation in people at the end of 90 days.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I've always enjoyed the show. I also agree with some of the criticism of it, but I still feel for addicts involved and I'm glad that they at least get a solid chance at recovery.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
former walking pharmacy

It's been mentioned a few times but I also feel that it's too easy for people to see the show and say 'oh, i'm not that bad.' My brother does this. People don't understand that those are very extreme examples; the average nightly binger/drug addict isn't nearly as 'entertaining.'
Other than that, I like the show... I think it helps shed light on addiction problems and how profound they are in society.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

they once did an episode of a woman who functioned during the day, going to work dressed up selling in retail, and drinking minis in her car at lunchtime and totally breaking down over losing her custody of her kids drinking herself into a screaming stupor every night. (this was a few years ago).

when i watch the extremes, i know i could have gotten to that point if i kept drinking.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Watching the show and saying 'I'm not that bad' is just another excuse an addict uses to keep using. I don't blame the show for that, it's a show and obviously needs to be interesting to exist. The show could theoretically show addicts of all stripes and colours, but could potentially miss out on some others and there's always a chance that an addict won't be able to identify.

I know I wasn't as 'bad' as many addicts on the show. But I was *sometimes* acting as badly, and I always identified with certain aspects of their behaviour.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I have mixed feelings about this show. On the one hand, I watch it because it reminds me of where I could have ended up if I continued to drink. While I was never as "bad" as some of the people on the show, I know full well that I could be if I were to go back out. So from that perspective, it has been a good thing for me.

The flip side of that is that sometimes the show is like a train wreck. People watch because watching a train wreck is fascinating. But it just puts the addict and their family on display for the world to see their private pain and struggles. Although they all appear on the show voluntarily, I feel that some things are just not meant for public consumption.