Notices

Thoughts on "Intervention"

Old 04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I am in full agreement with Onlythetruth...

I have seen the show once or twice but I don't watch it. Something about it feels wrong. But that's why you have a remote, so you can change the channel.

There was also another show called "Celebrity Rehab" that one is even worse!

The problem with these type of shows are people will make snap judgements about addicts.

Anyway, just my two cents, not judging anyone who enjoys the show. God knows I watch tons of garbage TV like Survivor.. shhhh. haha! but if the show makes you uncomfortable or you don't agree with it or think it may be hurting your recovery, just change the channel.

Live Well!
Olivia
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Olivia333 View Post
I am in full agreement with Onlythetruth...

I have seen the show once or twice but I don't watch it. Something about it feels wrong. But that's why you have a remote, so you can change the channel.

There was also another show called "Celebrity Rehab" that one is even worse!

The problem with these type of shows are people will make snap judgements about addicts.

Anyway, just my two cents, not judging anyone who enjoys the show. God knows I watch tons of garbage TV like Survivor.. shhhh. haha! but if the show makes you uncomfortable or you don't agree with it or think it may be hurting your recovery, just change the channel.

Live Well!
Olivia
Thanks for the vote of support Olivia....and changing the channel is a good start in the direction of getting these horrible shows off the air. If the producers aren't getting viewers, they will stop airing the programs. Trust me, if they stopped making money off the exploitation, they'd stop "helping" those addicts in a heartbeat.

As far as Celebrity Rehab, well, they have been accused of asking newly abstinent addicts to use again for the cameras. Don't get me started on the ethics of THAT.

Jason Wahler: 'Celebrity Rehab' Producers Asked Me To Drink

Leif Garrett says Celebrity Rehab producers asked him to use when he was sober + reality blurred
Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Personally, I think that's wrong.
Well a couple pages have gone by and a few days, but I still have to dredge this post up to disagree with you.

The addicts filmed on the show willingly choose to participate in a documentary about addiction. And that is exactly what that show is: a documentary about addiction. The only thing that they don't realize (usually) or is kept hidden from them is that there is an intervention that occurs at the end of it.

They do not always take them to a 12 step based program. Often that is the case but there are episodes where they end up at a non-12 step based rehab program. The factors that lead them to choose one facility over another are never delved into, so it is possible that the place that is chosen is not reflective of what would be best for the addict or not.

If someone is opposed to the concept of interventions -- which is a valid viewpoint -- then I suggest that they don't watch the show. The show is pretty clear to its viewers in its intentions (even in the name itself) and doesn't make any claims to suggest that it is showing a balanced or comprehensive overview of recovery options.

I don't see why someone should declare the show as harmful or bad just because it doesn't provide a balanced view of recovery options. There is no moral imperative for the producers of the show to be unbiased.

The show does capitalize on people's addictions for the purpose of ratings, but every show on television capitalizes or manipulates something for the purpose of getting higher ratings. That's how TV works, for better or worse. If you think the major news networks of the world don't sensationalize for the purposes of selling their product then you are fooling yourself. I don't see how Intervention is any different.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

As far as Celebrity Rehab, well, they have been accused of asking newly abstinent addicts to use again for the cameras. Don't get me started on the ethics of THAT.

Jason Wahler: 'Celebrity Rehab' Producers Asked Me To Drink

Leif Garrett says Celebrity Rehab producers asked him to use when he was sober + reality blurred
They do the same thing on Intervention. Sometimes they allow them to shoot up, etc. "one last time" before they get on the plane to rehab. I think one time the family or crew even drove them to buy the drugs.

I don't know what they teach in NA, but I was taught your supposed to quit completely, not have one for the road.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by eJoshua View Post
The show does capitalize on people's addictions for the purpose of ratings, but every show on television capitalizes or manipulates something for the purpose of getting higher ratings. That's how TV works, for better or worse. If you think the major news networks of the world don't sensationalize for the purposes of selling their product then you are fooling yourself. I don't see how Intervention is any different.
If I may quote myself here...

It did occur to me that maybe what I said here is precisely the reason you (OTT) don't like the show. That may be where you and I differ, because I don't think of the above practice as morally right or wrong, I just view it as a fact of life. If that's the case then I think you and I would have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I with you eJ, that every show capitalizes on something to make money. But I don't agree that this means anything goes. There have to be boundaries. Perhaps you and I differ on where they should be drawn.

A show like Jersey Shore is a good example of a show that I think is on the "OK" side of the line, disgusting though it is, and though I don't find it entertaining in the least. Nobody was lied to to produce that show, although the stars are certainly being exploited. I don't think the CONCEPT of Celebrity Rehab is problematic either, although I certainly do have problems with the ethics of asking newly sober people to use again for the camera.

However, I think the deliberate deception of a vulnerable person to get them to do the show in the first place is morally and ethically wrong and therefore over the line. Way over the line. And I hope that we have not sunk to such a low point as a society that we view such behavior as a morally neutral "fact of life".

But I guess we have. Which makes me sad, although I am not surprised.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I have mixed feelings--it is exploitation, yet sometimes I watch it as a reminder. I do see myself in these people. If a camera crew had followed me around, went to my apartment and asked me questions, careful editing would make me look just as bad.

A part of me feels like some acknowlegement that people do live with addiction is better than being completely ignored--education has to start somewhere. Intervention is far from quality programming. I'd rather have a different show, maybe something more along the lines of Rain in My Heart. While I would like to see an honest look at success stories, the reality is that many of us don't make it. Some of the people who are on Intervention really are on their last chance and the addicted people watching need to see that. I know I've needed to see it...looking at someone else's misery gives me perspective...and as sick as that is, it helps me.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
High on Life

You need to look at the similarities and not the differences. There will always be some commonality, it's not so much the actions as it is the thoughts and process behind what is really occurring. I for one, love the show. I don't love every episode, but it reminds how out of control things used to be and how I never want to go back to that way of living.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

What I find extraordinary is the way some of the families enable the addicts - to the point of paying their rent, bills and giving them money for drugs. I think it's a good thing that this stuff is shown so people in similar situations can get a wake up call. The interventionist tells the families that if they withdraw their support, the addict will hit bottom quicker and get help sooner. They're going to die whether they die in the apartment paid for by their parents or on the streets.

I'm not a parent but I can only begin to image the pain they must go through trying to work out what the right thing to do is when it comes to saving their childs life.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Years ago my family and friends lied to me too. I was 25 and thought I was going to my step moms for dinner or something and all my friends and family were there. They did a very informal intervention on me. Yeah they "lied" to me about their intentions and I was angry. Had they told me they were going to do that I never would have went. It did help me realize I had a problem and although I didn't get true sobriety right away like I have now it was defiantly what led me to the path of living sober.

The addicts on the show are about to die and in the case of the episode "Lawrence" he did drink himself to death. On their website they have a page with nothing but 2-3min follow up clips with past people on the show. Some do have real sober time and the change in them is amazing. It reminds me of myself going from drinking a bottle of vodka a night to having over a year sober. I think that even if the show were to get one person sober it would be worth the "exploitation." It seems to have gotten a lot of people into sobriety so it is ok in my book.

Once when I was detoxing I remember watching an episode "Hubert" and while shaking and sweating I felt inspired to stop my drinking. The guy was homeless living on the street. At that point what does he care about being "exploited"?...A guy who would give him food and thought he was great person called the producers of intervention. In the follow up episode he was getting his 9 month coin and working.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

One of the most valuable lessons I've learned over the years is that never will everyone agree with my opinion. Once I accepted that, I didn't have to spend so much time convincing people I was right.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
One of the most valuable lessons I've learned over the years is that never will everyone agree with my opinion. Once I accepted that, I didn't have to spend so much time convincing people I was right.
So true! I will work on that one today
Old 05-04-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Thoughts on the Intervention TV show

bump

Hi,

I hope that you don't mind me "bumping" a topic. Different forums have different etiquette.

I ejoyed reading your responses including those of "onlythetruth." It does, imo, have an exploitive quality about it. I wouldn't want to do any reality show.

The show does make me feel almost as if i don't really have a problem. Although i know that i do.

But I don't like my mother watching that show. My a mother has had a tendency to emmerse herself, imo, in TV shows.

In a nutshell, if your son has a drinking problem that doesn't necessarily mean his going to burn his face off because his meth lab in the basement is going to explode. [forgive the venting]

I would much rather my mother go to a counselor, like my counselor or to an Al Anon meeting.

That's kind of a personalized and maybe selfish view of the show on the whole. So be it.

Having said all that i do watch the show. I enjoy reading comments about it on the A&E message board.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

On a more positive note

Two days ago, instead of paying attention to someone else's kid on a television show, my mother went with me to see my counselor.

She like him.

So i quickly said "then let's meet with him again in two days."

I said that for semi-selfish reasons. But certainly not entirely selfish reasons.

But today, i felt a little uneasy. My counselor was touching on parenting topics. He was giving her "parenting advice." He was, more or less, telling her what to do. My counselor, i felt, was being somewhat bold and perhaps somewhat invasive/intrusive.

I became slightly defensive.

I said, "My mother has done everything we talked about two days ago. She hasn't been on my back," etc.

And i did confess to the fact that I failed to keep up 100% of my end of the deal as we talked about. I did not do exactly as i said i would (far from it, actually).

I was very happy to hear that my mother was absolutely fine with our session. Instead of feeling invaded she felt relieved. She felt relieved in that she greatly appreciated hearing my counselor talk to me about how i need to be accountable (and i'm also fine with that, btw). She felt relieved, i believe, in that my couselor was somewhat playing the same role, taking the same postition that my father would.

This is HUGE. As it is often very difficult for my mother and i to agree on anything. Things usually don't go anywhere near as well. But today was win/win.

So before finishing this post i did go downstairs and thank her. I did give her credit for being so open. For sharing the very personal subject of "how she raises her kids" with, more or less, a stranger.

"Not everyone's parents would do that," i said.

So anyways, good luck to everyone on their recovery. And i hope that you're fortunate -- fortunate, like i was today.

back to work,

Moderators: If this post is better suited for my blog then accept my apology. If you would kindly move it to there i would appreciate it. Thanks.

[It's seems very "on topic" to me in my life. But it's probably not "on topic" in anyone else's life. ]
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

preventing withdraw en route to rehab

hi folks

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
They do the same thing on Intervention. Sometimes they allow them to shoot up, etc. "one last time" before they get on the plane to rehab. I think one time the family or crew even drove them to buy the drugs.

I don't know what they teach in NA, but I was taught your supposed to quit completely, not have one for the road.
With all due respect, it was my understanding that on the show, "intervention," that they allow the addict have a "fix for the road" in order to ensure that they do NOT go through withdrawal on the way to rehab. And given the whole situation that sounds somewhat reasonable.

When i went to detox myself i waited and waited and waited. Then they told me at the desk that they would guarantee a bed and medical attention for me that evening.

I then promptly walked outside. Opened the trunk of my car. Got out a bottle of whiskey and poured ALL of it out on the lawn.

I didn't bring the bottle so that i could get drunk. Rather I just merely did NOT want to get really sick.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

Originally Posted by jojoba View Post

actually, IMO, AA/NA are in the wrong on this one. heroine withdrawal can be extremely unpleasant, but booze or benzo withdrawal can literally kill you.

every medical detox i have heard of(including the ones i have visited) have told me outright to keep drinking until i got a bed. they never told me to get wasted, just not to stop abruptly. after all, the entire point of going to a detox is to withdraw safely.......not to withdraw, almost die and then get a bed.

i do not know AA's official stance on this(i know back in the day they were against medical detox), but i have seen many old timers tell a newcomer to simply pour everything out and go to a meeting. i've experienced severe alcohol withdrawal, i could be dead if i followed advice like that.